LoL, DOTA 2, HoN

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L62OkEuIltFeaJRT

08-29-2011

--just a quick note incase you don't know dota is a mod on the blizzard game wc3, and is not its own stand alone title like lol, hon and dota 2. Dota 2 will have the exact same gameplay as dota 1 (heroes, items, maps etc), but will be on its stand alone engine. So in essence dota 1=dota 2 when looking at gameplay.

HoN is essentially a rip off of the original dota, and having not played it since beta and early release I won't comment on it too much. My opinions on it are the graphics are terrible, everything looks the same to me, its very dark and gritty so if you like that style it may not bother you. The UI and engine seemed fine to me back then, and I'm sure they've only improved it since then. It's also free to play now. I would say dota 1 has the better gameplay by far, in terms of overall feel and balance, its however a lot harder to get into and the age of the war3 engine is really starting to show.

This is pretty much a non issue tho because the beta for Dota 2 will be coming out shortly, which completely removes the ui+graphics hon had over dota1. I believe its going to be a closed beta first before a full on open beta. If you go to this website, and have a steam account, you can sign up and you may get into the closed portion of the dota 2 beta. http://www.dota2.com
The full game is scheduled for an early 2012 release I believe.

Now too compare Dota/dota2 to Lol. LoL is more geared towards casual play, thus making it a little more simplistic, while dota is pretty much the opposite. It's a more complex game that will take more time input from yourself to get at a decent level. If you want a more challenging game with a higher skill ceiling I would pick dota 2. If you're more of a casual gamer looking for something you don't need to put too much time into I would pick LoL.

Valve hasn't released if dota will be F2P or P2P on release, but my guess (based on nothing but gut feeling) is that it will be P2P for a little while then switched to f2p eventually. But since it will be in beta till next year this is sort of a non issue for the next while.

So just to sort of sum up my rambling, don't play hon dota is better, if you want a more challenging game dota 2, if you just want an enjoyable game to play casually play LoL.

NickPham

08-29-2011

Personally, after playing quite a bit of everything but RoTT, I can confidently say that LoL is great for new players but gets boring the fastest out of them.

This is mostly on account of a lack of functional All Random and Single Draft modes. These modes really give a great variety to your games, and simply is not possible with LoL's ******ed champion unlock system.

LoL is a great game, but the champ unlock system is absolutely brutal and not really worth the trouble. Just go play DotA.

HipHopIsDead

08-30-2011

I feel like LoL is kinda losing fans by making all they're champions so expensive recently because they're are so concerned with making money and competition.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

they're all similar, but know this, if you think lol is unbalanced, then don't bother with DotA or HoN

if you want more variety in the "champions" you can play and don't really care that a single person can 1v5 you, then play the other games

The original dota had headache inducing controls. Lol is much more user friendly

Apauloh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flodoard View Post
they're all similar, but know this, if you think lol is unbalanced, then don't bother with DotA or HoN

if you want more variety in the "champions" you can play and don't really care that a single person can 1v5 you, then play the other games

The original dota had headache inducing controls. Lol is much more user friendly
Please tell me how Flash isn't flawed, then you can talk about how LoL is more balanced than DotA.

Oh and you'll only get 1v5'd if you and your entire team are ******s. Stop trying to bring balance into this debate when DotA is CLEARLY the most balanced game in the genre (speaking competitively where balance actually matters, not pub play).

Puskai

08-31-2011

Dota2 > dota > mario > tetris > pacman > lol > hon .. gg

NicknameS

08-31-2011

DotA2:
$30 - rumored
LoL:
f2p
HoN:
used to be 30 now f2p

I've played all 3 (dota1), hon and dota are virtually the same game with some newly added heros on hon. DotA 2 and HoN look oddly similar as I've seen from watching some live matches from DotA2. DotA was the pioneer of the mobastyle games so lol also has similar mechanics that came from dota. The 2 major things that seperate HoN and DotA from LoL is there are no summoner skills and you can kill your own creeps (less exp for other team / no gold). I recently tried HoN because it became free to play and the games consisted of 1 leaver / 3 feeders and someone who knew what they were doing. One thing that is nice about HoN/DotA is you host your own games and can choose the players you play with rather than just randomly hopping into the match like LoL. I'm playing LoL right now, but I find all 3 games enjoyable. IMO DotA was more balanced than LoL is, but things may have changed.

MrScythe

08-31-2011

I tried HoN, it was boring as hell.
LoL: Still playing it so its not bad.
DotA2: Yeah, the first one was pretty fun.

I've tried them all, but I've stuck to LoL more because of the art style basically, looks more anime like.

Asternlok

08-31-2011

Dota is awesome
Dota 2 will probably be awesome, at least from the games I've seen
Never played HoN so idk

LoL is awful most of the time; but on the rare chance you get an actual team, its really fun

TemptedToTouch

08-31-2011

All I am going to say is fck innovation, good thing I am going to dota2.