Another Akali build question

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ashcarr

05-19-2010

I'll get this out of the way. I'm horrible with basically every champion that isn't Katarina. This has much to do with the fact that I don't know specific item build progressions.

Now I approach Akali. I bought her (only second champ I've bought outside of the retail and collector's packs) and I feel like I should play her since it seems like a waste not to. What is a good build order?

I don't care about specific masteries and runes as I'm still only level 23 and I'm surely less than optimally built. Which does in fact mean that I can't jump out of the gates with a Doran's Blade on Akali (though I should be able to soon enough as I get the IP for the damage quint).

I've tried looking at people's guides and trying out their build suggestions in different orders, but none of it really feels like, "Okay, that's the order right there". Anyone have any insight as to a good solid order for the first few items?

Eat dat chammich

05-19-2010

Buy the cheap damage quint that gives you 1.5 or so damage and spec offensive masteries and you are good to go.

Doran's Blade
Boots1 and Amp Tome
Sheen or Haunting Guise or Rylai's
Sheen or Haunting Guise or Rylai's
TriForce or Lichbane

Finish your boots in there where you need to. Your ult makes you mobile so you may not have to as early as some others.

zzbzq

05-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacarr View Post
I'll get this out of the way. I'm horrible with basically every champion that isn't Katarina. This has much to do with the fact that I don't know specific item build progressions.

Now I approach Akali. I bought her (only second champ I've bought outside of the retail and collector's packs) and I feel like I should play her since it seems like a waste not to. What is a good build order?

I don't care about specific masteries and runes as I'm still only level 23 and I'm surely less than optimally built. Which does in fact mean that I can't jump out of the gates with a Doran's Blade on Akali (though I should be able to soon enough as I get the IP for the damage quint).

I've tried looking at people's guides and trying out their build suggestions in different orders, but none of it really feels like, "Okay, that's the order right there". Anyone have any insight as to a good solid order for the first few items?

Here is what I do. There is one other way I've seen her built that doesn't seem ******ed.

Start with a longsword or boots, and in either case get as many potions as you can fit.

First trip back, finish your boots (there are ~three good choices of boots, and no, attack speed is not one. I guess you could get 3 movespeed boots, but I don't.) and get the AP tome. If you can't afford both, make your best choice.

Next, finish Rylai's staff. (Get a longsword first if you don't have it yet.) I like to get the HP belt before the yellow rod because the rod would have to be applied 10 times over to deal damage equal to the belt's hp.

Next, get a sheen.

After that, you need to make a decision. A lot of times, I'm already killing the enemy carry in under 6 seconds and then dying or fleeing, just with Rylai's and sheen. There's no point in getting more damage. So I get a GA. I've also gotten a Warmog's before. Force of Nature could work, too. I stay away from snowball items because I've only seen them work once or twice on Akali; having them makes decent teams focus you harder.

If you decide you want more damage anyway, perhaps because you have no problem surviving, or perhaps because they have some really deadly tanky character like Jax, you can just make your own choice between three/four items: Lichbane/Trinity Force, the skull ring, Guinsoo Rageblade (sell longsword.) I have only done about 25% of the math on this, but I prefer Rageblade because it is the smalllest investment and incredibly cost effective even at zero stacks, thus leaving me open to still get a survivability item if the game drags on. I don't like Lichbane yet because you only have one other AP item and its proc will not justify its cost vis a vis sheen. I will get Lichbane after I have a Zhonya's/Guinsoo or in the rare case I got Mejai's already. For trinity force, keep in mind that half the stats/effects are a waste.

TL;DR

Core items:
Boots
Longsword
Rylai's
Sheen

Options:
Guinsoo Rageblade
Zhonya's Ring
Lichbane or Trinity Force
Guardian Angel
Warmog's (only in extremely farming-friendly games)
Other survivability

Work in at your own peril:
Sword of the Occult
Mejai's Soulstealer
Leviathan

Slinkyinvasion

05-19-2010

I start with an Amplifying Tome and a health pot. My first trip back I buy boots, and either start working on finishing haunting guise, or if I have the money I buy a pick axe. If you don't have enough money for a pick axe or the red crystal then buy a long sword. Then I try to finish haunting guise and rageblade. Afterwards I get sheen or rylais, and then lich bane.

TL;DR
Tome
Health Pot

Boots
Pickaxe/Red Crystal/Longsword
Haunting Guise/Rageblade
Rageblade/Haunting Guise
Sheen/Rylai's
Rylai's/Sheen

Kentrav

05-19-2010

I find I do pretty darn well with my Hybrid Build which leans towards AD. You really need that Damage quint to make things work though. Akali is really squishy and having the extra 120 HP from Doran's Sword really helps early game.

It took a while for me to figure this out, and I did a lot of looking over various leaguecraft.com guides. I pretty much took some bits from different ones there and meshed them together.

Here is what I do:

Start with Doran's Sword and a health pot.

I always see people say: "On your first trip back get X" and that makes no sense to me, as you never know when your first trip back will be. If you have an oops early game you may have your first trip back be only enough for boots, so in my oppinion you have to engage brain when you make trips back to the fountain. Assuming you have a decent laning phase I usually go back when I have enough for teir 1 boots and Sheen. Sometimes its just enough for boots and tome, tome is good because it activates your second passive so don't be afraid to pick it up along with t1 boots as your first return to fountain.

So now you have:

Doran's sword
Sheen
T1 Boots.

The next items I get, as I am able, are:

T2 Boots (I prefer boots of mobility unless I am gearing against CC or heavy physical dps, your mileage may vary)

Phage

I try to be here by level 8 or 9. Once you have these items you can solo dragon, and I do it as much as I can. Your spell vamp is good enough to keep you alive through the dragon's dps. Just make sure you have a full energy bar when you go in, and a health pot in case you run into trouble.

My next item is Ginsoo's Rageblade. Usually by the time I get Ginsoo's I am doing pretty well in ganks and farming is much easier.

Follow it by Trinity Force.

Then I go B.F. Sword, into either Infinity Edge or Cleaver, and lately if the game lasts long eough I get a Warmoggs and finish by selling the Doran's sword and getting the reverse of either Cleaver or I.E. depending on which one you did not get earlier. Rarely do games go this long, but sometimes both teams play conservatively.

Once the next patch hits, this will radically change I think, as the new items coming for hybrids will fill in nicely into her setup.

I used to try and build rageblade first, but I find that sheen + phage are great early game items that are fairly cheep and help much better than rageblade does. I did pick this up off a leaguecraft guide, so it's not my idea, I just don't remember who's it was first.

As I said earlier, a lot of this is a mix of different things picked up from other guides here and there, so none of it is really my ideas, just experimentation on suggestions and seeing what works best for me.

Good luck! I was a Kat player until Akali came out, and I find I do a lot better as Akali than as Kat, and Kat was the first champ I had any success on at all.

Ashcarr

05-19-2010

Thanks for the advice guys. Going to give them a whirl now that I got the quint.

Kymera3

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-21-2010

I started to write this everywhere, If you whant to play Akali for fun to test new things try this:
-Phage -> Frozen Mallet
-Sorc boots
-Rage blade
-Rylai's
-Lich Bane
-Zhonia's

i get phage just to cover the 10 AD for the spell vamp then i get stage 1 boots, then i rush rageblade. I start stacking kills. Then i get frozen mallet, now people will say this is a waste, but think about it, gives you mass HP a bit more dmg (you are a melee after all) and it slows down youre enemy every normal attack. Then i get rylai's, now EVERYTHING you do will slow your target. I like to play aggressive with her, and people will try to run away, with frozen mallet and rylai's they can't you slow them to much. The rest of the build is just to get more AP for more spell vamp and lich bane's passive is awesome for her, just seems that the mana it gives is a waste =/. I put zhonias at the end but i never actually got there in a game yet. I got to the lich bane but thats it. Even with just that you do so much dmg and youre smoke bomb slows the enemy so much more cuz of rylai's.

Anyways just try it and you'll see, it sounds stupid but it's lots of fun.

Hope this helps

Sharkpower

05-21-2010

I start with an amp tome and health pot. If you use your Q often on creeps, you should be racking up last hits. I am usually able to get more than our mid solo. So by the first time you have to go b, you should have enough for a sheen, if you can't afford the whole thing, just buy boots and run back to lane and farm until you can get sheen. I like sheen so early because it gives tremendous damage to your Q as well as shadow dance. After sheen/boots I usually find myself going for a brutalizer, to activate the second passive, as well as some CDR and armor pen. Next is time to upgrade your boots, basically judge these on the enemy team. If there's lots of melee, tabi. Lots of casters/cc, merc. If they don't really have either of those, my next choice would be mobility to help chasing. Basically anything is fine except for zerker's. After t2 boots, it's time to build a rageblade to help your farming as well as give you a nice chunk of bonus to each passive. Next is usually lich bane, which gives a lot of damage to Q because with full Guinsoo's at that point you should be sitting at around 180-200 AP. Next is Rylai's for slow, and games really shouldn't be going on much longer than that. I use MPen reds, hp/lvl yellow (trying to get dodge), flat MR for blue, and flat health for quint. Also run a 9/21/0 spec.

TL;DR

Amp tome + pot
Boots1/Sheen
Brutalizer
Boots2
Guinsoo's
Lichbane
Rylai's