[Guide] Manliness and Misconceptions - A Guide to Tryn

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bitterz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip1 View Post
posting that screenshot looks bad without the picture of your tryn record- or record in general.. posting it to validate your guide is pointless without those other two, and it makes you look bad.. ive played many games as champs and had amazing games to take screenshots of (though i dont...) show me 15-20 in a row and ill be impressed

oh and 2 avarice blades arent so bad in some cases, btw.. you cant just say its not good, because anyone with half a brain can tell when a game is going to be drawn out, and they can be considered a great purchase for a 45 minute game. you may have 4 items, he'll have 6..

dont get me wrong your guide is good.. throw a skill build in there.. more detail on how you play couldn't be bad either
oh, and organize it cuz it's rather messy :P

<$0.02
Per your request: See below

I lost many, many games trying to follow guides that gave misinformation about Tryn before I won my first one building him my way. My recent matches has me at 8-2 with one loss as Tryn, and one lass as Twisted Fate. 7 wins with Tryn, 1 win with Soraka.

Not having 100 wins with him may take away from my credibility, but I will keep playing the barb, and I will keep winning with him.

Trust me on the Avarice Blades. In a 45 minute game I will have 6 items too... Except my last two will be Bloodthirsters. Even if you want to talk cost-to-cost... 2 Avarice Blades gives you 24% crit, and no extra damage. For the price of one Avarice Blade you can buy an elixir of fortitude and an elixir of agility, earning you 20% crit, extra damage, attack speed, and HP. Moreover, If you don't kill a single creep or enemy champion in the 4 minutes that your elixirs are working for you, you'll still have 240g just from the clock ticking, with which you can use to renew your elixir cooldowns.

Avarice Blades aren't worth the investment. I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethervoid
Your guide is good. Trynd however is not at high ELO.
The strength of this argument lies in the fact that no one plays Trynd at high ELO. I promise you I will keep running the barb, regardless of results, until he's either changed by Riot to be less awesome than he is now, or until I can claim to have had the same success at higher ELOs as what I'm having now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingspinger
So would you say, out of all the champs Tyr is very heavily relied upon the Rune pages? Like if you did not HAVE the crit chance would you be able to play him as you do?
Yes. The reason I'm able to build Tryn for damage and not crit is because my runes do that job for me. If you try to lane with 5% crit or less, then everything everyone says about Tryn sucking becomes true. You have to be able to build stacks, you have to be able to have some self healing... Without crit, you get neither.

tl;dr: If you don't have the runes, go find another Tryn guide. This one won't help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediJemar
crit dmg on tyr + IE= GG
Crit damage is sweet and all, but armor pen gives you more damage in the long run. True story.

Thanks to everyone for the criticisms. I'll continue working on and updating the guide until its the best it can be.

Fruz

05-20-2010

I tryed to buidl a Guinsoo on Trynda ( the AP scaling on the bloodlust is just crazy ), but the heal was half or less compared to what it was written on the description. Does trynda's heal have a cap ? did you try it ?

and what about beginning with a spirit visage ?
It boost the heal, gives a little more staying power even when you're harrased and can not last hit, gives pretty cool CD reduc and MR wich is always a good thing.

do you sometimes take doran's shield/blade as start item ?

And if Trynda's bloodlust's passive gives already pure damages, is that not interessant to have more AS to use this damage as most as it can be ? ( I mean taking a phantom dancer after the IE for example ).

good guide

JackAubrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz View Post
I tryed to buidl a Guinsoo on Trynda ( the AP scaling on the bloodlust is just crazy ), but the heal was half or less compared to what it was written on the description. Does trynda's heal have a cap ? did you try it ?

It boost the heal, gives a little more staying power even when you're harrased and can not last hit, gives pretty cool CD reduc and MR wich is always a good thing.

And if Trynda's bloodlust's passive gives already pure damages, is that not interessant to have more AS to use this damage as most as it can be ? ( I mean taking a phantom dancer after the IE for example ).

good guide
Heal has a high AP ratio, but it's not per-stack, it's total. With a Guinsoo's I'm seeing heals for about 520, which is nice, but an extra 120ish health per heal isn't worth the cash imo.

As for the AS, he takes Last Whisper, which is AS, as well as extra damage and armor pen. Phantom Dancer is nice, but you generally don't need the extra crit it gives. But that depends on rune setup as well.

Fruz

05-20-2010

I mean, LW and AS boots gives already AS.
And IE gives already damages.but for example, for a dps Janna, the best way to build it is to max the AS while she already has AD with her shield ( like a dps sion ).

Isn't that a good option with Trynda too ? maxing a little more AS since he already have a very nice amout of Damage with his skills ?
I understand now why the maount of hp healed was not so great as what I expected, so guinsoo sucks a little on trynda, knowing that x). ( yeah I tryed AP trynda one day, and ? )

wanderingsniper

05-20-2010

Okay, Bitterz thanks to you, even though i still need to work on my Rune pages, going through his guide, I did pretty darn well with Tyrn went 13-2 following his guide. And the guys werent scrubs either Thanks alot, I've always wanted to learn how to play him cause he just seem out of the ordinary.

Bitterz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingsniper View Post
Okay, Bitterz thanks to you, even though i still need to work on my Rune pages, going through his guide, I did pretty darn well with Tyrn went 13-2 following his guide. And the guys werent scrubs either Thanks alot, I've always wanted to learn how to play him cause he just seem out of the ordinary.
Yay. =) This is the kinda feedback that gives me the warm 'n fuzzies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz

good guide
The problem with building attack speed is that there aren't many items (LW is the only one I can think of) that give speed + damage. By itself, speed fails to deliver the same burst you get from stacking damage.

Also, don't discount item #4 in the guide: Elixirs. Attack speed + 20% crit is huge for 300g. If you buy 5 elixirs, you've spent 2k on 20% crit + 20-35% attack speed for 20 minutes... That's as long as some entire games last. By comparison, Last Whisper, an amazing item in and of itself, gives you slightly LESS in overall stats, for about the same price.

And in response to spirit visage: Sure its a nice item, but you really don't need it. You've got enough self healing coming from your Bloodlust stacks alone. Buffing it gives you more self healing, but it does nothing to make you more directly threatening to the enemy team.

Fruz

05-20-2010

Quote:
The problem with building attack speed is that there aren't many items (LW is the only one I can think of) that give speed + damage. By itself, speed fails to deliver the same burst you get from stacking damage.
it's true that AS items gives some sucking's stats on Trynda most of the time .
But I think getting a Zeal is not a bad idead ( without upgrading it at least ), because it gives a little critics % chance and the speed boost is nice don't you think ? =)
Trynda can already chase, but with what about a little boost to do it better ?
( I have not a full critics runes page ;p, it may be why I find that item good x) )

Bitterz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruz View Post
it's true that AS items gives some sucking's stats on Trynda most of the time .
But I think getting a Zeal is not a bad idead ( without upgrading it at least ), because it gives a little critics % chance and the speed boost is nice don't you think ? =)
Trynda can already chase, but with what about a little boost to do it better ?
( I have not a full critics runes page ;p, it may be why I find that item good x) )
Zeal, and even Phantom Dancer is another item I'll pick up regularly if the game drags on and I have the extra cash for it. I don't ever get one before finishing my Infinity Edge, though.

peyo

05-20-2010

have you considered getting an early Sword of the Occult? :P

Bitterz

05-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peyo View Post
have you considered getting an early Sword of the Occult? :P
There are a few reasons that I advise against getting Sword of the Occult.

1st: Tryn's already a fairly slow starter. He needs to pick up items that will immediately impact hsi game. Not pieces that have to snowball.

2nd: Sword of the Occult is a risk/reward item. Sure, occasionally it'll be great. But even in best case scenarios, I wouldn't expect to be running around with more than 10-12 stacks.

3rd: This is something I'll add to the guide later, but Sword of the Occult conflicts directly with the "Tryndamere Mindset". As Tryn, your job is to soak damage, take down 2-3 enemy champs, and either escape, or die. Death will come frequently, but that's okay so long as you make a worthwhile trade. 1-1, 2-1, 3-1... these are trades you'll make regularly when playing Tryn. Unfortunately for Sword of the Occult, this mindset, and subsequent play-style doesn't synergize well with the items mechanics.

Edits: Added Leaguecraft builder link. Couple small formatting changes. Link to armor pen math added.