Questions about building Alistar..

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MushroomCranium

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-05-2011

I recently picked up Alistar and I've been having a good time as him. I decided I'd try to create a build for him, and I have a few questions.

-Would a Rylai's crystal sceptor be a good item for Alistar? I was wondering if his passive activated the slow. I think it would be useful for passively slowing everyone around him, because I've always found that Alistar was a bad chaser.

-Would the boots of swiftness increase Alister's speed significantly enough to be worthwhile? The boots of Ionia's cooldown reduction is pretty useful, and was wondering if I could find good items to compensate for it.

-Anyone know of any good items proven good for Alistar? I'm still developing this build, but I'm wondering what other items to build for him. I'm focusing on tanking, but I'm also getting a small amount of ap for supporting my team.

Thank you for your help.

Epic Dancing Guy

05-05-2011

Yes Rylai's works with his passive. It should anyway.

SeattleReign

05-05-2011

Rod of ages, abyssal sceptor, Lich bane, frozen heart... its really pref?

Tha Dynamite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-06-2011

For the boots question, I would say definitely not. Your movement with them on is 400. Many champions have about the same or even higher speeds. And you won't likely find a champion that can't outrun you or kite you to kingdom come even with 400 speed.

Here is my build with the cow.
The starting item depends on my team composition.
Alistar is a superb babysitter. Basically, if a good Alistar is laning with you, its practically impossible for you to die unless you deliberately try to.
So if the three other laners (assuming there is a jungler) do not need to be babysat, I know I can roam. So I start with boots.
If the bottom lane is someone that needs babysitting (say a Poppy or something), I'll start with two Faerie Charms and HP pots.
Then its basically:
Philosopher's Stone --> Basic Boots --> Philospher's Stone --> Boots of Mobility --> Sheen --> Legendary defense item --> Shurelyas --> Whatever is needed.
Sometimes, if teamfights break out earlier, I will rush the Shurelyas instead of going for defense first.

The "good items" that are "proven" (from my experience, so not really proven) to do well on Alistar are Shurelyas (biggest one) Sheen and Boots of Mobility. I might deviate on the boots sometimes, but the Shurelyas is a definite must for my playstyle.

Larson McMurphy

05-06-2011

I'm going to copy pasta my post from another Alistar thread, so sorry for the redundancy.

I will agree that Shurelya's Reverie (or however you spell it) is an excellent item for Alistar. He really needs the CDR and mana regen, (he has triumphant roar, but the health regen isn't irrelevant), and the health boost is significant. Alistar has such a high base health that between the shurelya's and aegis of legion (another core item for him I would say) you should hit around 3k health.

The unique active on the shurelya's also helps Alistar initiate when his flash is on cooldown. Just run in and pulverize (not as good as malphites ult, but a great initiation none the less).

I would recommend against warmog's only because Alistar naturally has such high health. After shurelya's and aegis, pick up a sunfire, randuins omen, or banshee's veil if you need more health plus armor/magic resistance. If you need more CDR glacial shroud is a good pick. Maxing CDR on Alistar is extremely valuable, but sometimes you may need an additional health boost which glacial does not provide. It just depends on the situation.

Honestly you may not make it that far though. The core is really just Shurelya's and Aegis plus boots. Everything past that is gravy (situational gravy).

If you want to pump out more damage, sheen is probably the most cost effective option. Upgrading to trinity isn't a bad plan either. I like Alistar to be more focused on tanking though. Its a play-style preference.

Oh and as far as boots go I like mobility, but you may want to try merc treads or ionian. Whatever suits your needs.