Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

yi DPS or AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JamesXOXOXO432

05-18-2010

hi is Yi better DPS with high damage or AP with high AP?

By the way ive only got crit chance runes so about 22%+ crit chance beggining of game.

and could you give me some iteam builds? Is last whisper any good with him?

thanks

Mpalm

05-18-2010

AP by far. His alpha strike deals a ton of damage to multiple enemies and meditate makes him invincible and heals to full in the midst of battle (granted you waited for the other team to blow stuns).

Glasglow

05-18-2010

Depends, DPS needs a ton of gold to build but he is extremely overpowered towards late mid-end game. AP is useless, really, only thing you can do is jump with Alpha strike once and then you have to wait 15-20 seconds for it to cool, plus it drains alot of mana so you'll be running out quite often.
Meditating in the middle of combat is the most stupid thing you could ever do, they will stun you, bend you over and take turns on you.

Mpalm

05-18-2010

Quote:
Glasglow:
Depends, DPS needs a ton of gold to build but he is extremely overpowered towards late mid-end game. AP is useless, really, only thing you can do is jump with Alpha strike once and then you have to wait 15-20 seconds for it to cool, plus it drains alot of mana so you'll be running out quite often.
Meditating in the middle of combat is the most stupid thing you could ever do, they will stun you, bend you over and take turns on you.

You should check out HotshotGG's livestream to see how wrong you are thinking that AP is useless and that meditating in the middle of battle is stupid if done properly.

Supreme1337

05-18-2010

I know that AP Yi is definitely viable. A buddy of mine mains AP Yi, and he does very well with him. Of course DPS works too, since you can chase anyone, and in the late game you will have an insane damage output.

Glasglow

05-18-2010

Quote:
Mpalm:
You should check out HotshotGG's livestream to see how wrong you are thinking that AP is useless and that meditating in the middle of battle is stupid if done properly.

Either he is playing against noobs or has a awesome team with good coordination, sure i can make a new account and play against low elo players to show off with a fail build but any decent opponent knows that Meditation is a channeling type spell thus it gets interrupt by taunt, stuns, silence, ect will ruin it and bend master yi over.
If interrupt = no def/mdef = dead yi in seconds since he is squishy as shinzit, its all about tactics.
And AP fails hard, so he does 500 damage or a bit over that amount with Alpha, big deal, take any mage type character - he is much more useful overall than a fail AP yi hybrid that can't even solo a tower properly.

Mpalm

05-18-2010

Quote:
Glasglow:
Either he is playing against noobs or has a awesome team with good coordination, sure i can make a new account and play against low elo players to show off with a fail build but any decent opponent knows that Meditation is a channeling type spell thus it gets interrupt by taunt, stuns, silence, ect will ruin it and bend master yi over.
If interrupt = no def/mdef = dead yi in seconds since he is squishy as shinzit, its all about tactics.
And AP fails hard, so he does 500 damage or a bit over that amount with Alpha, big deal, take any mage type character - he is much more useful overall than a fail AP yi hybrid that can't even solo a tower properly.

Yes, he plays against noobs that are the best players in the game.

I suggest you don't listen to this fellow, give AP yi a shot (check hotshotgg's profile for some build ideas). Trust me, it is viable in high elo games as long as you utilize meditate at smart times (when the other team blows their stuns).

Morinav

05-18-2010

Man you are all about bending Yi over.

5HATCOMBO

05-19-2010

Quote:
Glasglow:

Hotshotgg is one of the best players in the game and is a featured streamer at solomid.net. Here are some of his recent games:

http://www.lolbase.net/matches/player/US434582

Those are players like DanDinh, Dyrus, Wickd, Messiah, Master of LoL, etc.

Do you show up in live streams of the top 100 ELO often?

Glasglow

05-19-2010

Quote:
Morinav:
Man you are all about bending Yi over.

Well since Yi was my main and i have over 300 games with him and over 200 wins in them, i do know how squishy and easily shut down he is.