Nidalee Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sines314

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2011

So, I've fallen in love with Nidalee. I've played more matches this week than I have in the last three just because I have so much fun with her. So, now I'm actually trying to fiddle with my own build, instead of just taking a build off Solo Mid.

Runes: Don't have the IP yet(Or level 20) but I was thinking...

M. Pen Marks (Although Armor Pen are an option. I'm not sure.)
Scaling Armor Seals
Scaling Ability Power Glyphs (Seriously, they beat flat at level 6. I think that static ones exist solely for Jungle Fiddlesticks.)
Ability Power Quints

Masteries:

Mostly standard offense tree, with extra points in defense for Strength of Spirit. You'll see why in a bit.

Summoners:

Flash (It never hurts to have Flash and Pounce. Because your enemies usually only have one quick-move ability.)
Ignite (Generic useful summoner. Also, +10 AP on cooldown with mastery.)

Items:

Start Meki Pendant (And health pots, of course). Return for Tear of Goddess either when it can first be obtained, or when it and boots can be obtained. Build is then pretty standard, Merc Treads, Guinsoos, Lichbane, Deathcap, AA Staff, situational item. The AA Staff is generally lower priority than the Deathcap, but the AA staff finishes for ~2700 less gold, so it might get completed sooner if money is short.

Skills:

Skill order is Spear -> Heal -> Trap. Exceptions for one point in heal at level 1, and one point in trap at level 4.

So, while this build has not been quite as good at killing as one without Tear of the Goddess, the Tear allows Strength of Spirit to give me pretty solid HP Regen, and the large amount of mana allows me to spam my human abilities as well as I can spam my cougar abilities. This means spears! I can pressure pretty nasty, and lane indefinitely. I'm not great on burst early on, so kills are only likely on the careless, but it doesn't take too many spears to force health potion use or retreats.

Marks are something I don't know about. The only abilities that really benefit from either are the Q abilities of Human (Magic) and Cougar (Physical). Spear Throw is the better source of damage, but having some penetration on my basic attacks isn't too bad. The Solo Mid guides also recommend Armor Penetration. In the end, I'll probably get Magic Penetration, simply because I need them for other champs.

Armor seals are pretty self explanatory. Two things worth pointing out is that with excellent HP recovery, it's better to have that HP be worth more, rather than having more HP to lose. Also, Merc Treads and three points in Resistance leave Magic Resist higher than Armor. Scaling AP seals are also worth considering, as I don't really need much more survivability, and extra AP seems the best alternative.

Glyphs are AP because cooldown reduction is only handy if you actually would use the ability sooner, and most abilities cooldown fast enough that it's not going to make a real difference. It doesn't help that static cooldown glyphs (The better of the two, as they manage to be better or equal until level 14) go for twice as much. The other options are well covered by the rest of the build. AP Quint is notable for providing some extra firepower in the early game, to make up for the delay in AP cause by picking up the Tear.

*phew* A lot of stuff, but I thought I'd put it up here for consideration. Much of the build is actually built around the Tear. Strength of Spirit is there to get a better value out of the Tear (A full tear is worth 13.5 HP Regen / 5), and the runes help pick up the delay in AP items caused by the Tear. It's not super-duper original, but different enough to warrant thought. It doesn't rack up the kills, but the pressure from spear throws every time they leave the safety of their minions, plus it's survivability means you don't have to kill anyone to still push the game in your favor.

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Nexus Crawler

08-27-2011

You're better off going something like 1/18/11, 0/19/11 or 9/0/21 mastery wise on her. I would recommend 9/0/21. She needs the defense, and is more of a AP Melee champ, that needs to get 6 in a hurry. You'll need the Exp boost from utility. The increased %MrPen from offense is also useful. Your skilling order should be R/E/W/Q. You'll maximize your early game when she's strongest by doing so. You'll mostly be going Heal (for AS buff), AA a few times, fall back, Heal, AA, rinse and repeat. That's her strongest harassment (because every one knows to avoid her spears).

For runes your best bet would probably be:

Marks: ArPen
Seals: Flat Armor
Glyphs: Flat MR, MR@18, or CDR (I consider it possible but I prefer MR@18)
Quints: Move Speed (7.5% MS increase early game makes you a great chaser, runner, and gives you better odds at dodging skill shots)

Items:

Typically you're running...

Dorans Ring/Saphire Crystal as a starter item

Then building Sheen, and Merc Treads as your core. It will provide the mana you need, the MR, a good amount of MS, and Tenacity which you need if you want to survive and not feed most games.

For a better accounting of how to play Nid try and find HotShotGG Nid video. There's a reason why she gets banned a lot.

Sines314

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2011

I am aware of Hotshots build, but I did want to try something else myself. As far as masteries go, I'm realizing that I'd probably do well with 9/21, however it doesn't really reach it's value for Nidalee until around level 27, when you can get both CDR masteries. That's probably why it didn't occur to me right away.

Over all though, I was trying to go for a less offensive Nidalee, and more of a pressure build. Although it may just be that pressure only works so well in LoL, because pressure doesn't get you the same amount of gold. Perhaps that could be rectified with some Gold Quints and Greed. Just me musing though. I know I can just copy Hotshots build, maybe tweak it here or there for myself, but I'd like to try something on my own, and that's what this was about.

At any rate, I'm curious as to why Hotshot was running ArPen. The build only has the Cougar Q for physical attacks, and the items only provide a relatively small amount of attack speed and bonus attack damage. It seems MPen for better Javelins would also work fine, and help her Cougar W and E. Regardless, I'll still be getting MPen, simply because they will work on her, and I'd still need MPen for more of my other favorite champions, and I'm not exactly at the point where I can spare IP for the only slightly more useful ArPen. Unlike, say, Armor, MR, CDR, and Speed runes, Penetration runes of the wrong type won't benefit a champion at all.

Oh, and in this case of the 0/19/11 tree, I assume 8 points go into +5% XP, but where do the remaining three in utility go to? Seems like 20/10 would be better, to max out ardor, or even 21/9, since tenacity is right there. Meditation and Utility Mastery are great, but are two points in them worth not grabbing Tenacity?