Akali Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FolloMeOnTwitch

05-17-2010

This build comes from the 30+ games I've played so far as Akali. May be alot to some or not enough but this is where I am coming from.

MASTERIES
I choose a 9/21/0 build. I ususally do this build for most squishy damage chars because it adds huge survivability and most players do not expect it.

RUNES
Marks - armor pen. Seals - Debating flat health or dodge. Glyphs - Ability Power. Quintessences - 1 flat damage and 2 flat ability power.

SUMMONER SPELLS
I take Cleanse because it's imparative for a melee with no CC to get away if focused. And ignite for those who get too far away to kill and finish off.

With these runes at level 1 you start off with 19 ability power, you can choose to get one more AP seal to make it 20 at lvl 1 but at lvl 2 you automatically get it anyway.

I try to build Akali as she is stated to be. A hybrid AP/AD char. So if i have more of one stat than the other I get items to compensate. This build starts off with more AD and then Mid game starts to round out the AP.

When you stack AD you gain more spell vamp which helps keep you in lane longer and also keeps you alive when ganking enemy champs. Mid game is where the kills start rolling in so stacking AP will give you bonus magic damage to your auto attacks. This will in turn keep your melee damage output higher so you're not just a CD hero.

EARLY GAME
At lvl 1 I get a long sword and a health pot and lane top or bottom. It is to your advantage to lane with someone who is ranged which will allow you to farm without constantly being harassed. Or at the very least equalize the lane.
Take Mark of the Assasin then twilight shroud and then cresent slash all the way to 6 and maximize cresent slash/mark of the assassin/and twilight shroud last.
As soon as you have enough money tele back and get an amplifying tome and boots. I also get more pots to stay in the lane longer.
Basically this is leading up to a Trinity Force. The items i get finish first depend on the other team but it usually goes Sheen - Mallet (whatever the name is) - and then Zeal.
As for boots normally I get ninja tabi but if there is alot of disable obviously merc treads.

MID GAME
At this point I start building an Aegis of the Legion. A couple reasons for this odd pick. The +8 damage to allied units is great if you're with a minion wave and you get ganked your minions will focus the enemy champ all with +8 damage. That really adds up. If not with a wave the extra health armor and mag resist adds to your survivability. Second reason is I believe there may be a small bug with the combination of Trinity force and Aegis. When you have the Aegis Buff your hands glow as if to have the damage bonus from the Sheen proc - the difference is that you have it all the time. I havent tested the damage yet but either way I like survivability.
Next I get a Blasting Wand and work towards a Ginsoos Rageblade.

LATE GAME
If the game lasts this long you could go a few ways - Yommus Ghostblade - Zhonyas - Guardian Angel.
I actually get Guardian Angel after Ginsoos. Reason being that I usually have a bunch of kills that if somehow the opposing team were to kill me I could just rez and destroy the rest of the team.

To maximize use of this build and to get as many kills as possible - try to have lizard farmed on lockdown. The slow is absolutely a must. And the dot damage doesnt hurt either. All of that combined with ignite will secure a bunch of early game kills. And if it gets too rough you can always cleanse and twilight out of any sticky situation.

A word to the wise - while stealthed it may seem logical to use cleanse to maybe get a dot off of you or to make it easier to run away, however, activating those abilities will take you out of stealth, as will popping a health pot. So cleanse/pot first and then use twilight.

STRATS FOR FARMING
Mark of the assasin makes last hitting almost a guarantee - if you don't kill the mob with the mark you can just run up and hit it to explode it for the rest of its life. I want to say at lvl one you can easily take a front row mob down when it is at 1/4 hp with mark and auto attack.
Always use Mark of the Assassin first. When you explode an enemy with mark on it not only do you deal bonus damage but you also regen energy. So if you open with Cresent Slash and try to spam it you wont have the regen or damage output to be a constant pusher. But if you use Mark then blow up a minion - regain energy - use slash - by the time you're done with slash and an auto attack mark is up to use again rinse and repeat. This sounds like its drawn out but it happens fairly quickly.

STRATS FOR HERO KILLING
Try to open with mark and as many melee hits/cresent slashes you can get in before you have to use your ult to dash and catch up. Always save your ult for when they run away. Or if you're doing a sneak attack gank from behind a wall then i suppose its ok to ult in.
Usually I mark run up auto attack and then use shroud to slow them and ult to catch up. This is not needed if you have Trinity force or lizard buff as they have their own slows. But just keep in mind that shroud is a very good slowing tool. Be cautious when using it because it does use up alot of energy.
The initial Mark damage is very small and you might be scared to continue because the enemy will have so much HP but once you auto attack/explode that mark/slash you will see them melt. If you get in a lucky crit too its even more devastating.

If I missed anything or you hate me or you love me or any tips you have lemme know GL AND HF!

EcoEco

05-17-2010

I agree that Akali is quite squishy and getting something to compensate for it is a good idea. But getting both Aegis and Guardian Angel, your damage output is reduced quite a bit. The only people you can burst to death is mage or glass cannons. You won't be able to stop Garen from escaping (for example). And you rely on the lizard buff. What if someone else wants it? Like Tristana which is pretty good on her. Just my own preference but I prefer not to rely on buffs, if I can get it then its additional bonus.

Then now I think about it again, isn't Akali suppose to be a Ninja Assassin? So she's suppose to get in and out quickly and finish her job. So a little more survibility is good but doesn't need so much that her damage output is reduced. Out of the two items you proposed. I think Aegis is better. Guardian Angel can fail so badly. If you got ganked, thats not going to save you, your team would run away and you will revive and die again. I saw a Garen got ganked with Guardian Angel and Zilean reviving him. Nope didn't help him died 3 times. But Guardian Angel used on Shaco or Tryn is a lot better. Shaco and his clone is awesome. Tryn is an amazing damage dealer at late game, so with Guardian Angel is like 3 lives with his Ulti. Akali on the other hand doesn't benefit too much from being revived. Yes you can revive and throw shroud and hope to escape but enemy usually see that you can revive and surround you already.

But, if you simply want Guardian Angel for the MR+Armor bonus then its perfectly fine.

I wrote this one a few other posts, but the skill build should not be focused on E or Q only. It should be dependent on enemy composition. Harrassed a lot? Level up Q. Not being harrassed? Level up E. Harrassed but the damage done to you each time is pretty weak? Level up whatever you want. A simple example is, laning against someone like Ashe. Dodge her cone and her auto attack isn't that damaging unless she charged it up with her passive. So you got two choices. Farm better? E. Harrass her back (She is squishy) then Q. I personally prefer Q over E because once I hit 6 with my lane partner's help Q does massive damage compared to E and we get a kill. Its magical :P

FolloMeOnTwitch

05-18-2010

In reference to Guardian Angel you don't HAVE to take it, it was just one of the options i suggested. In my experience damage output was always pretty substantial with trin force and ginsoos. Base damage with trin force and ginsoos is like maybe 140-150 AD and AP. then factor the trin force proc after using an ability and then the stacks you get from ginsoos. Doesn't seem like that much alone but if you figure base damage from mark then you have the proc and then auto attack blow them up for enormous bonus damgage - cresent slash - proc again - crazy damage - ult - proc - damage. So when their team is focusing you trying to kill you and you refuse to die - you end up getting a kill and your team mates will hopefully kill off the rest while the other team focuses you. I've only gotten past making ginsoos once because the games always ended around there.

As for lizard buff - you're right someone else might want it - i'm just saying try to get it if you can. and if not then instead of sheen - grab phage first.

what would you recommend for additional items? i think ghostblade would be a good pick after ginsoos. however, i have some issues with CD reduction items on energy dependent heroes. Because although the abilities come back faster, the energy doesnt - I feel like having the base CD will have you pace your abilities better. Maybe a little CD reduction is good but not alot. thoughts?

I guess the only way to go after that would be high end AP and AD items - Zhonyas and Inf edge?

WtfSmurf

05-18-2010

It seems you are losing a bunch of your burst with this build going into tank items mid game which is where Akali is strong. I understand the reasoning for going these items because you are squishy.

I generally prefer a more ap oriented build because the ap adds to your auto attacks and works well with all of her abilities. Trinity force is nice but expensive and allows you a decent burst, but you would get better from just building a haunting guise and guinsoos right away. In general you do very little auto attacking with Akali and more spamming abilities when killing champs. I also build rylai's to cover the slow part which stacks more hp on Akali to let her live a bit more through burst. I do end up building a sheen, but it gets turned into a lichbane later on. This build ends up dropping people a lot faster then I have seen the ad builds with triforce kill people and it has a lot more survivability in the team fights so you can sneak into the back line wipe out a couple people then get out.

I normally end games on the survivability side with around 76 armor, 100 mr, and 3k hp. I also have around 150 ad, 300+ap.

EcoEco

05-18-2010

This is my usual build now days. I haven't really had any huge problems with it other than bad teammates which led to pretty big downfalls.

Tome + Health Potion
Boots + Pick Axe (Or w/e it's call)
Finish Boots + Wand
Finish Guinsoo's Rageblade
Giant's Belt and/or Wand
Finish Rylai's
Vamperic Scepter (you can get this earlier if you want)
Tome
Finish Sheen
Finish Lich Bane
Finish up Bloodthirster

Thats quite expensive. I never finished Bloodthirster even in my longest games. I suppose you can switch Bloodthirster with some other cheaper life steal like Executioner's Calling.

Reasons for the items. I don't particularly have enough IP for all the runes. So getting Rageblade first is essential to have both passive and deal decent damage. Next is boots, well you wanna move fast; you are a ninja. The last core item is Rylai's. It gives you the slow you're missing and then additional health to keep yourself alive. I decided a Vamperic Scepter is good because right now you should have around 150 AD. And sometimes after a battle big or small; you might not want to pill back. Spell vamp is good but I find that its only able to maintain my health but exactly recover more. So sometimes I like to jungle a bit and recover my health. I like Lich Bane rather than Trinity Force because you get a bit of needed MR and the overall AP will help you deal more damage the Trinity.

FolloMeOnTwitch

05-18-2010

I guess my build comes from my defensive playing style. I know Akali is a hugely offensive champion. But The first champion I ever played for 200+ games was Ashe. Same type of stats (kind of?) really low health and huge damage. Main reason why you don't have to build ashe with defensive items is because she has a built in ranged slow.

Going to akali I think to play even more cautiously because she is melee.

As for Trinity force - it is expensive but the smaller items you get allow faster early game stat building. And since shes such a good farmer you should be able to out item/lvl the enemy champ you're facing anyhow.

I'll try out the damage spec for a change and report back. What masteries are you using by the way? I'm going to assume offensive.

WtfSmurf

05-18-2010

I use a 21/9/0 build on her with mainly a caster focused setup.

I have actually faced akali's that build the same way you do and 1v1 with just my boots and haunting guise and their boots and phage I wreck them every time. It always had ended the same.

The reason the reason for this is as I said before, akali is not your typical melee attack champ. She is a burst champ. The ap helps the burst opening of shadow dash/mark and still nets you the 10% life steal and it also gets through 20 mr, so you are opening up harder on your target early game, which is the weak point of her game. This will rack you up a few more kills faster and still allow you to farm jungle for other items needed. Your next item is probably sheen which is another 1300 gold in your rush to get to trinity force and at this point I am building guinsoo. I should have a pickaxe and be halfway to my blasting wand by this point. I am still bursting as hard as you are at this point in the game and I am life stealing better then you are and penetrating your mr better which means more damage coming from me and I have the same life as you at this point. You start the last leg of your journey to Trinity Force/finish boots while I finish guinsoos and finish up my boots. I am now dealing 30% of my ap as extra damage while you are still at about 10% and I am at about 130ap with full stacks of guinsoos and have as strong of an attack speed as you do. Again my burst hurts you a lot more.

I just don't see how such an expensive item like Trinity Force is helping you as much as a simple haunting guise/guinsoo combo would. I guess for the slow, but that is why you build rylais after those 2 initial items. At that point no one gets away from me and they are taking a huge amount of burst.

Its not saying an attack damage Akali is bad, its just super expensive to get to the same point that I get to with the ap items. And to be honest the only reason I get the haunting guise is for the early hp/mr pen the vamp is just icing on the cake.

FolloMeOnTwitch

05-20-2010

It's ok to say that you tend to beat akali's with similar builds, but to generalize is ignoring that not everyone is on the same skill level with a relatively new champion.

"I generally prefer a more ap oriented build because the ap adds to your auto attacks and works well with all of her abilities."

"In general you do very little auto attacking with Akali and more spamming abilities when killing champs."

Those two statements contradict each other. Just trying to understand where you're coming from.

And I also already told you my reasoning for Trinity Force. It's not the over all finished item that I'm looking to instantly benefit from, its the three smaller items that you can aquire relatively quickly one after the other that helps a bunch early game.

Also, saying what items i'll have at one point and you'll have such and such items at the same point is inaccurate due to the fact that not all games go the same.

Advice I work better with is advice saying which items you prefer what build you have and why it works. Not saying why mine is bad.

Only reason why i forego the haunting guise is because she has it built in already. I know that it will only just add to the damage and lifesteal but I'd rather build something else with an additional effect (besides MR). I see what you are saying though and I'll try it out.