Balancing Champs in Dominion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jafara

08-25-2011

So if you head over to General Discussion, you'll see I posted a thread about Amumu possibly being OP in the 3v3 setting due to multiple reasons. After reading some threads about some champs in Dominion, I came to wonder, how will champs be balanced in Dominion without screwing over 5v5. You can't really change a champion in one mode, because it will affect them in the others. I realize that in everything not 5v5, there will be champs that are wildly OP while other will become ridiculously UP. And that will result in certain champs being almost must picks while picking other champs is just a trollish move. So what is your opinion on champion balance? Do you think champs will be balanced in Dominion, like everyone will have their place? Or do you feel some champ types, say Carries or Assassins, will just become completely useless. I mean Riot said that Tanky DPS was seeing more gameplay. I could see Mundo and Garen being immovable defenders almost. Leave your thoughts, and please be kind to not only me, but others who respond.

kthxbye

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yaezakura

08-25-2011

From what I can gather, Riot's plans simply involve making sure to balance champions so that they function well in smaller skirmish-style battles, while otherwise making it so that some excel more 1v1 and others excel more in huge team fights.

If champions are balanced in a way that everyone can perform decently in 2v2 fights, then that creates engaging gameplay, not just in the Crystal Scar, but also in the laning phase of Summoner's Rift. Meanwhile, some champions, like assassins, will always excel in the 1v1 scenario, while AOE burst mages will still contribute tons to large team fights--but so long as everyone is at least decent in those middle-range 2v2 and 3v3 battles, then it creates engaging gameplay no matter what mode you're playing at the time.