Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Alistar nerf was a bad thing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khristophoros

The Council

08-25-2011

I meant to post this sooner but anyway... I am really disappointed in this nerf and I'll explain why.

Quote:
Unbreakable Will

Duration adjusted to 7 seconds at all ranks from 6/7/8 seconds
Physical and Magical Damage reduction reduced to 50/60/70% from 75% at all ranks

First of all, let's talk about EHP. How bad was this? It's just 25% less right? No biggie?

In fact, this was one of the hardest nerfs ever. 75% damage reduction is 4x EHP. 50% damage reduction is 2x EHP. The effectiveness at rank 1 was literally cut in half. This is way too harsh of a nerf.

Secondly, the other reason I was really disappointed is that Alistar is one of those characters who's always good no matter what due to his design, unless you nuke his numbers really hard. So why is nerfing characters like this bad? Because it makes them much less fun to play, but then they're still picked in tournaments anyway. Just because you see him every tournament for the entire lifetime of the game doesn't mean you should keep nerfing him. Instead you should be proud as designers of how solid and timeless he is.

If a champ stops being fun to play in normal play, and yet still get picked in tournaments, then there was no reason to nerf them and all it did was hurt the experience of playing them for 99.99% of the playerbase just because they're solidly designed with useful tools.

Edit:

More details on the actual EHP nerf. This was a response to somebody saying that rank 3 is the the same as before.

Quote:
Khristophoros:
Rank 3 is not the same as before. Damage Reduction is a very sensitive mechanic and even 5% less is much more significant than it looks.

Rank 1's effectiveness has been nerfed by 50% (2x EHP down from 4x)
Rank 2's effectiveness has been nerfed by 37.5% (2.5x EHP down from 4x)
Rank 3's effectiveness has been nerfed by 16.666%. (3.333x EHP down from 4x)

LetsKetchemall

08-25-2011

I sense some qq in this thread

xkawazux

08-25-2011

They probably are trying to make Alistar more dependent on gold.

Capt Katsura

08-25-2011

They will always nerf him. From now until the end of LoL.

hightech

Recruiter

08-25-2011

Alistar is lame and you're lame for playing him,

PotatoIift

08-25-2011

I always viewed Alistar as the Ashe of supports/tanks. He'll find a way to be there just because of his utility.

Riot, you hurt his utility. A pretty noticeable amount. Even if you wanted to nerf it, 50% at rank 1 is really harsh. 60-65-70 would be much better.

Baalhrezem

Recruiter

08-25-2011

Alistar is half of everything he used to be. Even ratios.

All for what? Ignoring unit collision?

Ganksterr

08-25-2011

Quote:
xkawazux:

He was a lot more gold dependent back when he had 1:1, 1:1, and .4 ratios...

Akklonian

08-25-2011

Quote:
xkawazux:

thats the problem, you sacrificed all the cs for your carry lane buddy, and still manage to be a tank.

King Draxx

08-25-2011

He clearly needed the nerfs.
His ult is what made alistar so broken.