Super noob, please help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Corp1234

05-16-2010

So I'm downloading the game right now, and I have a few questions-

I have played dota a few times, and a lot of the time, the people were obnoxious elitists. Is it that way in this game too?

What is an easy beginner hero to learn?

Skill sets/tips?

Thanks for the help

Gaeb

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2010

Easy to learn? Pick a ranged hero (Tristana is free this week and Ashe is only 450 IP) -- Melee heroes, especially in the 5v5 game, can end up split off and get chain disabled / focus fired to oblivion more easily even if they're tanks.

Elitists - not nearly as prevalent, no...

Skill sets/tips -- See guide section as there are a lot

Ed2: Of the free this week, I'd check out Tristana (ranged carry), Ryze (mage), and Katarina. Kat is technically a melee but unlike the other two she has no mana bar - her skills (a bouncing damage attack like Voodoo shaman's jug + a blink strike) are restricted only by cooldown, and you can build her either as a tank or as a carry. Her dagger makes her able to harass from range indefinitely and her blink strike can also be used on friendly units as an escape mechanism.

YoonieDaCutie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-16-2010

Well, the good news is you won't be meeting obnoxious elitists when you just start out. The bad news is you'll be meeting obnoxious people all the same, elitist or not.

I definitely think the number of obnoxious people in LoL is lower than that which I see in DotA, so don't worry. Every game has its black sheep, just learn to enjoy the game.

An easy beginner hero to learn would probably be Ashe, which you start out with in the Tutorial game. Go play the Tutorial if you haven't yet.

The Guides & Strategy forum is a great place to look for guides as well as post questions regarding gameplay. Since you're a new player, you can actually post your questions in this forum as well.

For Ashe, I'd recommend maxing Volley first, followed by Frost Arrow, picking up your ultimate (Enchanted Crystal Arrow) at level 6,11 and 16. Ashe plays a lot as a support DPS/AoE slow/general annoyance. Her Volley shot applies a slow to all enemies who are hit by them nasty arrows, slowing their movespeed for a few seconds. Her ultimate, Enchanted Crystal Arrow is a great fight initiator as well as a very good ganging tool if you get good at aiming it. (You can shoot it across the map)

Buy damage, some boots of your choice (except Berserker Greaves), and some health so you don't die immediately. Cooldown reduction also helps immensely to spam Volley more.

Don't know what else to include without this being incredibly long-winded. You should really try out the champions that are free for the week to see which one you have a good feel for. Some people like to start out with ranged champions, since that feels easier. Others like starting out with tanky champions, since they die less. It's really up to your preference, and I believe people always start out with a natural affinity for a certain champion/playstyle, and it's really up to you to discover that as you go along.

With that...happy battling and if you have any other questions feel free to keep asking (:

CommisarCain

05-16-2010

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...hlight=denying

This is sort of a basic laning guide.^

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=68225

This is a list of links to guides about just about everything in the game.^

Hope it helps. Community is good and the learning curve is by no means outrageous.

Corp1234

05-16-2010

Wow, thanks everyone
See ya ingame

Weyen

05-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp1234 View Post
I have played dota a few times, and a lot of the time, the people were obnoxious elitists. Is it that way in this game too?

Skill sets/tips?
Players do tend to be stuck up, especially when they're losing. Playing with a group of friends helps if you're worried about this.

Easy beginner heroes are generally right click DPS champs. Sivir and Ashe are fairly easy to get the hang of, if you're looking for cheap heroes. Garen is another pretty simple one, but he costs something like 3k IP.

For skill sets, as Gaeb mentions, there's a guides section of the forum, and there are also external sites which list champion builds. Generally, you want something recent, in case the champ has been rebalanced lately.

Salivation

05-16-2010

Every game as their elitist jerks, it happens. I wouldn't say all of them. One thing that really bothers me about this game, is people tend to say GG at the end of the game when the whole game was one sided and the other team had no chance. When you sigh at them, they go all nuts and call you a noob and whatnot. I see it every night, so that's a small problem here. As for massive elitists, we've got them, just put them on ignore because they most likely suck anyway.

Also, one of the easiest to learn to play is Ashe... Ashe or Ryze. Ryze is burst caster DPS, and Ashe is Ranged Attack Damage DPS. So yeah. Those two are who I recommend.

ENÐER

05-17-2010

About the elitists:

When you have someone in the game that is verbally harassing you (doesnt happen as much as dota or hon but it's the internet so they are still there) make sure you screenshot anything over the top like rascism, calling out to the other team what you are doing in /all chat to give them an advantage etc, etc and send that and a detailed email to support@riotgames.com (they do read them and bans/temp bans happen all the time to people harassing others)

Also for anyone raging that you dont want to deal with you can always type /ignore name (name being their summoner name) and this will turn off all chat that they type in game from that point on to you

I suggest going into practice games vs players and trying at least every free champion 1-2 times to get a feel for how they work. This helps alot to know what people do and you wont be so confused as to why you just destroyed that last game vs the same champion.

Heartwood

05-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp1234 View Post
So I'm downloading the game right now, and I have a few questions-

Skill sets/tips?

Thanks for the help
No, I would say that there are a minimum of obnoxious elitists. Plenty of either but less in combination. Heheh. Actually, a lot of nice players, espacially the new ones. Welcome!

ColdFireBeast

05-17-2010

My biggest recommendation is if someone seems like they're being an obnoxious elitist, then step back and think. Is this person offering me any suggestions on how to get better? If they are doing so, but just poorly formatting then ignore them being an ****** and take the advice.