5 Tips to Guide-Writing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZGBudai

09-13-2009

In order of importance:

1. Title name!

Contrary to popular belief, people DO judge books from their covers. People like to see either 1 of 2 types of guide names. There is the mathematical elitist one that usually looks like "AP Stacking Teemo w/ DMG Chart" and there is the themed creative one that usually looks like "Brewing Insanity - A Guide to Singed". These titles will often catch more eyes then simply "very good ashe guide"

2. Layout and Neatness

People tend to understand things more and be able to actually read text easier if everything is ORGANIZED. I think I speak for everyone when I say that looking at a block of white text almost immediately makes me want to stray from reading the guide at all. Things you should do to make a guide look more neat? Use lists, points, small tips, and use quote boxes.

3. Content

You know it was coming, content is essentially what people came to your guide for. A lot of guides I see have the basics, comments on skills, skill build, recommended items. However going above and beyond the norm is what makes a guide stand out. Synergy with specific heroes, How to utilize specifically one skill to it's maximum potential, and explanations on the numbers behind a skill can be godsend to the reader.

4. Length

Although I like to read the occasional 'Massive Super In-Depth Guide with 10 Line Graphs', most of the time I don't. There are two guide sizes that I love. There is the 'Average Joe's Basic Needs' which is not too long but not too short, giving the details that you need and there is the 'Quick Stop 'n' look' which is essentially a skill build, item build, and very small commentary on skills, which explains a SPECIFIC build for a champion. The latter usually ignores what I previously have said on content but sometimes short and simple, when executed well, works wonders.

5. Edit, use it.

Simply put, if someone gives you advice or if you think something needs sprucing up, just use the edit button. It's there for a reason and it's not like once you post a guide, it's final.

Thanks for reading, I kind of just got bored

Almitt

Adjudicator

09-13-2009

Got another one for you,

Dont post guides for heroes released 1-3 days earlier, it barely give you time to test it and often results in low quality guides.

Ryderia

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almitt View Post
Got another one for you,

Dont post guides for heroes released 1-3 days earlier, it barely give you time to test it and often results in low quality guides.
I don't think its a bad idea to do that at all. BECAUSE its new, a lot of people are looking for info on said champ ASAP. Some people with more time on their hands can get input out much more quickly than others.

On top of which, as theories and ideas get proven and disproven, theres an edit button for a reason. If your guide isn't getting a huge revamp every few patches, its not one that should be kept up with anyway.

No champ plays the same every patch, every month, sometimes even every week in this game, since its in beta. Even if your favorite champs aren't getting touched, other champs are. Some things become big threats, some threats are removed.

YummyCheese

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-13-2009

You might want to add in to edit part how you should edit after most major patches. Considering DotA and LoL are updated quite often I often find that guides become out of date very quickly. Sure, it may only be one or two small changes to small parts once every two weeks, but after a few months the skill build, item build, and potentially even playstyle can change, and a three month old guide can be VERY outdated.

Almitt

Adjudicator

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderia View Post
I don't think its a bad idea to do that at all. BECAUSE its new, a lot of people are looking for info on said champ ASAP. Some people with more time on their hands can get input out much more quickly than others.

On top of which, as theories and ideas get proven and disproven, theres an edit button for a reason. If your guide isn't getting a huge revamp every few patches, its not one that should be kept up with anyway.

No champ plays the same every patch, every month, sometimes even every week in this game, since its in beta. Even if your favorite champs aren't getting touched, other champs are. Some things become big threats, some threats are removed.
absolutely true, im just saying that most guides that come out a day or so after the patch mostly isnt the most thought through and detailed.