[Reference] Item Cost Efficiency Analysis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Savage

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazastankas View Post
It's true; what would you suggest they be valued at?
Move speed you can value pretty readily off of the opportunity costs presented with the other boots. Boots 1 is clearly a ridiculous deal, and the Boots 2 are also incredible deals that everyone buys. It's a given that you get one, only a question of which one. So I value move speed off of the opportunity costs you incur to upgrade to boots 3.

So for direct comparison you can use Berserker's Greaves and Sorcerer's Shoes. You subtract out the 70 move speed from Boots 2, and you get this comparison:

Berserker's Greaves: 25 Attack Speed @ 920 gold / 130 gold discount from Boots 3
Sorcerer's Shoes: 33 Ability Power @ 925 gold / 125 gold discount from Boots 3
Boots of Swiftness: 20 Move Speed @ 1050 gold / 0 gold discount

So if you consider all 3 of those reasonably balanced, then 25 Attack Speed + 130 Gold = 33 Ability Power + 125 Gold = 20 Movement Speed. As the average character has 310 base movement speed and 380 with Boots 2, that 20 Movement Speed translates to about a 5.26% movement increase (the Boots are actually a bit better than that due to how they stack, but it's a decent first order approximation.)

So if you accept that the Boots of Swiftness are a good item that you sometimes buy over Berserker's Greaves or Sorcerer's Shoes, then 1% Movement Speed is worth somewhere around 150-160 gold, depending on what basis you want to use.

Cooldown you really can't get off of items since everything with cooldown reduction is deeply discounted. I think the best rough approximation of its value can be pulled off the Mastery talents. The attack speed talent is right next to another low tier cooldown talent; even though the attack speed talent is one of the weakest ones in the game, if you assume the two are equally valuable it puts a lower limit on cooldown reduction's value at 4/3 that of attack speed. Being a bit more generous, you could assume it's about as valuable as the critical strike chance talent above it, which would give 1% recharge a value of 8/9 that of 1% crit.

Using your methodology, this would put 1% recharge at 35 gold per 1% using the attack speed equivalence and 43.5 gold using the critical strike equivalence. Both are probably reasonable estimates of its rough value as a standalone stat.

Kazastankas

09-14-2009

Thanks! I think I will seek to take the median of the two metrics for the cooldown reduction pricing. The movespeed pricing is an intuitive idea, but I'll tinker with it some - movespeed gains from your boots recipe come from a more significant metric (that is, 350-360 ms) instead of the ~380 ms that one compares most of the other +% ms items to.

Since you mentioned the 310 and 380 averages, think it's better to have 380 ms as a baseline for calculating +% ms values?

Savage

09-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazastankas View Post
Thanks! I think I will seek to take the median of the two metrics for the cooldown reduction pricing. The movespeed pricing is an intuitive idea, but I'll tinker with it some - movespeed gains from your boots recipe come from a more significant metric (that is, 350-360 ms) instead of the ~380 ms that one compares most of the other +% ms items to.

Since you mentioned the 310 and 380 averages, think it's better to have 380 ms as a baseline for calculating +% ms values?
I'd use 380 or 400 as a baseline for calculating +% ms, not 310. Everyone is going to have either boots 2 or boots 3 anyway. I'd use 380, as it's a more conservative estimate on the value, and in practice I'm much, much more likely to take a Boots 2 over Boots 3 if I know I'm getting additional +move speed. +% move speed is even better when used with Boots 3 though, since the % multiplies the extra speed from boots.

For recharge, it's unfortunate that there's no really good way to get value off of items; everything with cooldown reduction is deeply discounted from the base component items that most of the numbers are based on. You have to pull your costs off of masteries or runes (if you assume the blue mana, mana regen, and ability power runes are balanced with flat cooldown reduction runes, then you get a value of 33 gold per 1% cooldown reduction through a simple average of the value of the other 3.)

Kazastankas

09-16-2009

So I went through with the cooldown change (taking the average for the masteries, because I also don't really trust the balance of the runes right now). The movespeed change's on the backburner, though - pricing % ms like you noted above would mark an effective increase of ~130g per % movespeed (from the something like 28 that they're worth right now), which would largely displace most of the standings here. Considering other options.

Cantor

09-21-2009

Thanks for this, this should be stickied.

NibelungValesti

09-21-2009

I find it disturbing that the ruby/bead are most cost effective than the pendant/giant's belt. Perhaps that has to do with the fact that the belt/pendant has more recipes involved while the ruby/bead has less recipes? I am under the impression that the more expensive the item.. the better the deal you should get off it. Perhaps the devs have their reasons? I'm sure sure that theres a valuation system the devs use to price the items as well, and i would really like to see it =D

PiousFlea

The Council

09-22-2009

Quick correction: your list states in several places that Phage has an armor debuff. This was removed a few patches ago, it is pure slow, and it does not stack with frozen mallet or trinity force.

Mal3vol3nc3

09-23-2009

crits do 250 instead of 200 on infinity edge

Kazastankas

09-24-2009

Quick question for you: By doesn't stack do you mean not even geometrically? (ie. Having a Phage and a Trinity Force intuitively means that you have first a 25% proc chance for Phage, and then another 25% proc chance for Trinity Force, meaning that you effectively have around a 44% chance for -some- slow effect to happen)

Infinity Edge's trait is on there - it's after the vertical bar.

Sir Lamorak of Gales

10-03-2009

I'd like to see a list of best stat/gold ratios for a specific stat from all the items that give that stat. This would focus just on what gives, say, the very best armor per gold or the best AP per gold etc. I've tried with health, mana, armor, spell block, and AP.

For health, the Ruby Crystal is simply the best gold/HP ratio around
For spell block, Negatron Cloak clearly stands out as well
For power, the Blasting Wand has been dropped in price bringing it down to a solid 21.5 gold per power.
For mana, the Tear of the Goddess is comes out well ahead

Only those three basic items are the winners in their categories I found, however, and Blasting Wand only partially since Mejai's Soul Stealer is clearly the winner if you can cap it.

Where