[Guide] Early Champion Killing and Late Tower Diving with Master Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaBaldOne

09-12-2009

Masteries (see http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/676/mastercopy.jpg)
0/21/9
- Personally, I put 21 Points into Defense, and 9 into Utility, because I like to play a more aggressive game than most, which means I need as much mitigation/damage reduction as I can get. Many of you will say that as Yi you should never get hit, but late game when you will have a few tower suicides, the few extra swings you get while living are the difference between a turret or inhibitor going down or staying up.

Summoner Spells

Heal, Teleport
- Heal is my personal choice, this skill is up to you
- Teleport, however, is a must. A must.

Runes
Red - Armor Penetration
- Most casters don't get armor so you can max out your armor pen just from Runes
Yellow - Health or Attack Speed
- Red's attack speed is greater, but armor pen is great. Yellows are a quick way to make up for your lack of attack speed items
Blue - Cooldown reduction
- Amazing Ultimate and a quick get on their ass move being available more often? Yes please
Quintessence - Attack Speed
- Not buying attack speed items, this is a free 10%

Items

Some people may switch an Avarice Blade for some mana regen, but it's up to you if you want to go 2 or 3 farming blades.

1 - Avarice Blade
- Cheap Crit early game. Get as early as possible to get the most of your 5 gold every 10 sec
2 - Avarice Blade
- Yes, two of them
3 - Avarice Blade (or Berserker Boots)
- The boots are the only attack speed item that I purchase. At this point you can either grab 3 Avarice Blades to farm the **** out of the game early, or if you are around level 6 by now, grab the boots and start chasing down champions. Either choice has its benefits. Even grabbing 3 farming blades is not a bad idea, as you still get quite a nice cheap low level Crit Bonus.
4 - Berserker Boots (Avarice Blade, or skip to 5)
5 - Infinity Edge
- With the 36% (or 24% if you only got two) Crit from your farming blades, the 250% Crit Damage is huge. Not only is this going to help with champ killing, but the 80 Damage is great for tower diving late game when Crit doesn't matter and you are replacing your Avarice Blades with Damage or Speed Items.
6 - Phage
- Attacking as fast as Yi does, you don't really need the guaranteed slow so Phage is enough for me, but it's up to you if you wanna go end game with it or not.
7 - Phantom Dancer (for Dodge and Movement Speed) or Last Whisper (for armor pen)
- Up to you really at this point in the game, but towards the end I prefer to start boosting attack speed.

Gameplay
Ideally you want to solo early game, but if that is not availble then make sure you are harassing champs early so your lane partner goes elsewhere. Try to tower farm if you are soloing. Once you hit level 6 is when you want to start focus on champ killing. Do not attempt to chase through tower fire, it is not worth it. Making your enemy Recall is just as good as killing him. For this build you are trying to beat everyone else to level 12.

Once you reach level 10 or 11 start pushing your first tower. It should go down in anywhere between 10 and 15 seconds depending on item choice.

Level 12 is when **** hits the fan. Yi is the master of ninja and he proves it every game. Start by asking for a gank if needed or wait til lane opponent goes somewhere else. You need to make sure you have nothing in your way. Now is the time to hit the second turret before they realize what has hit them. After turret is dead, Recall, buy items, heal, and check other lanes. If everything else is under control, try to assist someone else's push to draw in enemy champs. When you see 3-4 champs accounted for, port quickly to your lane, kill any creeps asap, and head towards third turret. Make sure you have either 6 minions or 3 minions and a cannon before attempting third tower. The second you get there, hit R and E as fast as possible with the biggest object to have to make sure they are going off at the same time. Ignore all minions while killing turret. You should have third turret down in about 5 seconds. Run straight to inhibitor. Focus it. Immediately. If you can take out the turret leaving inhib exposed, or the inhib itself, your death is worth the sacrifice.

Now that your lane is fully open, feel free to assist others with the same thing, drawing champs away from your original lane. When you see 1-2 huge minions in front (and your R and E are bright and ready for popping), go for the inner turrets. Chances are you will get either 1 or both down, but will die while doing it. That is fine, suicide is now a fine option, as long as you are taking down at least 1/4 of their turret's health each time.

Around level 17-18 (or whenever you have enough gold and no inventory slots) is when you are going to start selling Avarice Blades (since your gold flow is plenty and you no longer need crit to Tower Dive) and replacing them with either attack speed or damage items. Attack speed is nice for more double hits, but damage makes them hit less often but much much harder.

General Notes

I have had many games where I will go 2/11/2 with 10 Building Kills, and we win. Even with a score of close to equal, or even in your opponent's favor, the game is in your hand individually. I have carried many feeders to a stealthy win, and while testing other champs, I have lost to another person doing the same thing you have just spent all this time reading.

*******http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9030/leagueoflegends20090913.png/******** - SS of Victory screen, with my typical stats (8/12/2 with 11 Building Kills). This was not a bad team we were against, but this build proves again to be too much. They can either push or defend, not both. Yi is too fast. Even with one or two champs on him he can still kill an entire turret or inhibitor. In this SS you will notice I do not have Phage. That is because, if by the time you are about to get it, you can tell you will be strictly tower diving and not champ killing, go for Phantom Dancer for movement and attack speed.

Thanks for reading and good luck with Yi.

TL;DR - Yi will murk your face, read to learn how

Samir

Senior Recruiter

09-12-2009

nice guide and a completely different why of playing my favorite champ

Deadly Paradox

09-12-2009

Honestly, looking at the score image and the masteries, this build will fail against the average cookie cutter Yi build.

Cho'gath nearly outfarmed you, which shouldn't be happening. With mastery points invested into Defense instead of Offense, you lose out on much needed damage, resulting in loss against any other competent carry.

DaBaldOne

09-12-2009

29-17 is my record with no arranged teams, playing not even a month. It seems to work well

EDIT: Most of those losses, also, are not with Yi

Elmentar

09-12-2009

I saw somebody(a level 0 leaver... who I had seen a few weeks ago, still at level 0, but anyway) use this item build. It's not the best for Yi imo. You're placing all your hopes into criticals, without the assistance of any items giving Yi something to help keep him alive long enough to crit.

weizur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-12-2009

Sorry this build is terrible

DaBaldOne

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmentar View Post
I saw somebody(a level 0 leaver... who I had seen a few weeks ago, still at level 0, but anyway) use this item build. It's not the best for Yi imo. You're placing all your hopes into criticals, without the assistance of any items giving Yi something to help keep him alive long enough to crit.
Only using crit at low levels, and the only reason you are grabbing Avarice Blades is for the extra gold to get your end game items before the rest so you can kill towers. Defense items are not needed because of the masteries. Besides, mid to late game you want to avoid other champs and focus strictly on killing towers and ending the game. Kills don't win games, building kills do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weizur View Post
Sorry this build is terrible
I hope to see you on PvP.net on the opposite team

Deadly Paradox

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown View Post
Only using crit at low levels, and the only reason you are grabbing Avarice Blades is for the extra gold to get your end game items before the rest so you can kill towers. Defense items are not needed because of the masteries. Besides, mid to late game you want to avoid other champs and focus strictly on killing towers and ending the game. Kills don't win games, building kills do.
If you do this, you will lose against any team with teleports; they will port in, kill you, and then counter push while you face palm.

I find Avarice Blades have no use to Yi. I usually get a Chalice of Harmony for more Alpha Strike farm, averaging 130+ minion kills by 30 minutes.

Aurax

09-13-2009

IMHO the post creator is right, in this game doesnt matter a lot if you die often, but if you push - with the right champ of course.

Yi is a pain in the a**, able to solo push a lane in seconds, and surprise you every time: "What? Is this my inhibitor turret going down?"

It is true that he will die, but the sacrifice will be worth it. I dont play this champion, but I saw him in action a lot of times and I hate him.

For me this is a valid, but risky, strategy. Can give you a victory, but your team should support you defending. If not, the feeding will be too much and the other team will outpower you with all the nice items bought thanks to kill you.

Anyway thanks for sharing the guide, and keep destroying turrets! Your team will be happy!

DaBaldOne

09-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AoWHun7312 View Post
I find Avarice Blades have no use to Yi. I usually get a Chalice of Harmony for more Alpha Strike farm, averaging 130+ minion kills by 30 minutes.
That's why you sell them later to replace with damage or attack speed items