[Forum Feedback] Censor system is too restrictive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MrSpaz

12-31-2011

I think you've got this completely backwards.

Guidelines like the ones they have here are meant to reflect, not define, society's stigmas. If you want them to change, focus your efforts elsewhere -- there's no real point in trying to change the rules on an internet forum; it won't change the reactions that most people have when they find children talking about intercourse. You can argue that it's natural all you want, but the people who disagree with you are the ones you want to talk to, not the moderators of a forum.

Barking up the wrong tree here imo.

Xerocreative

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpaz View Post

Guidelines like the ones they have here are meant to reflect, not define, society's stigmas. If you want them to change, focus your efforts elsewhere -- there's no real point in trying to change the rules on an internet forum; it won't change the reactions that most people have when they find children talking about intercourse. You can argue that it's natural all you want, but the people who disagree with you are the ones you want to talk to, not the moderators of a forum.

Exactly thank you for putting this in better words then me.

Yasuhiko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2011

Quote:

TL;DR- Censorship is bad, m'kay. Some words should be restricted simply because the mods can't police the entire community, but those words should be as minimal as possible.

I'm not trying to change the way people talk to their parents/kids about *** here. That's their job as a parent. If they want to pretend it doesn't exist, or that these are bad, bad words, that's fine. It doesn't change the fact that they're not bad, bad words and it does exist. I'm talking about a language filter that is actually more repressive than society-at-large and controlled by the moderators of this forum.

All I want is a censor system that enables me to use language as openly as possible while preventing abuses. I find it quite disturbing, saddening, and infuriating that I am unable to utilize certain words on the internet not because of their ability to harm someone but because of the stigma someone has placed on them. Though I do accede that some words are overly abused and should probably be restricted, no system should be actively removing anything more than the minimum.

Final thought- The censorship of words because of the ideas behind them leads to the censorship of ideas themselves. I'm not looking to champion some new cause against Western morality or standards on the whole, so please stop telling me this is the wrong place for that. I'm just anti-censorship. I just want the word filter loosened up a little bit. After all, I can insult someone's intelligence and question his/her sexuality with any number of other words.

MrSpaz

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuhiko View Post
I find it quite disturbing, saddening, and infuriating that I am unable to utilize certain words on the internet not because of their ability to harm someone but because of the stigma someone has placed on them.

The censorship of words because of the ideas behind them leads to the censorship of ideas themselves.
Statements like this make me think you're being overly dramatic.

Here's a fun factoid: My name is censored in-game and in the PvP.net chat. When I discovered this, I turned my censor on, so that when people swear at me in game, I can just laugh to myself and think they're just saying my name. Sometimes over and over.

I honestly don't think your playing experience is nearly as hindered as you're trying to make us believe -- if it is, well, you're in a pretty small minority. What words are censored and what aren't isn't likely to be high on Riot's priority list, though I of course can't speak for them.

Samiam22

12-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackMonk View Post
ToS should merely be a "I wave my right to take legal action against this company for using this service/program in any way other than the intended use per the guidelines stated (Summoner's Code)."
Except that you aren't allowed to do that and if you do, you get in trouble (see Sony for more details).

Yasuhiko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2011

Quote:
I honestly don't think your playing experience is nearly as hindered as you're trying to make us believe -- if it is, well, you're in a pretty small minority. What words are censored and what aren't isn't likely to be high on Riot's priority list, though I of course can't speak for them.
My playing experience is hindered not at all, because I have the option to turn off word filtering in its entirety there, and I do. On the forums, I am simply against excessive censorship and feel that this is excessive censorship.

YungElext

12-31-2011

I agree saying C R A P that was a stupid play. Is definatly worse than saying. I hope you die and go to hell.