[Forum Feedback] Censor system is too restrictive

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yasuhiko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2011

Hello Riot,

I am Yasuhiko, a former Community Lead at THR before it kinda imploded. I just wanted to provide feedback on the forced word-filter system you have going on on these forums. While I understand taking out a lot of the more aggressive four-letter-words and racist terms from a public forum that people of all ages browse is one thing, I think you really censor too much.

While I get the joke in censoring HofN, over-censoring can have a negative impact sociologically and and can hinder communication. By making it appear that words like "s e x" and "c r a p" are not OK words to be used, you're dictating how society is supposed to perceive those words.

There is no need to ban either of those or any other similar words that actually have a place in daily human vocabulary. *** is a part of humanity and it is morally backward to try and enforce a puritanical viewpoint of it on the internet. Such thinking limits critical thought and really puts children in a worse position if you fail to make it an OK subject of discussion.

****, on the other hand, is just a word without and harsh meaning. It has no strong connotation with it like the s-word does, and you can find better insult-words in the non-banned section. By making this a naughty word, it can become a naughty word. I don't see the harm in letting this one be un-censored, because it provides an alternative outlet away from other more severe words and is essentially harmless.

Those were just two specific cases because I can't see the banned word list, but the point stands: do not over-censor. Not only does it suck by hindering communication for those of us who are more mature and responsible, but it creates unnecessary stigmata in our society.

Thank you,
Yasuhiko
(Giovanni Prinzivalli)

Ixeo

08-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuhiko View Post
Hello Riot,

I am Yasuhiko, a former Community Lead at THR before it kinda imploded. I just wanted to provide feedback on the forced word-filter system you have going on on these forums. While I understand taking out a lot of the more aggressive four-letter-words and racist terms from a public forum that people of all ages browse is one thing, I think you really censor too much.

While I get the joke in censoring HofN, over-censoring can have a negative impact sociologically and and can hinder communication. By making it appear that words like "s e x" and "c r a p" are not OK words to be used, you're dictating how society is supposed to perceive those words.

There is no need to ban either of those or any other similar words that actually have a place in daily human vocabulary. *** is a part of humanity and it is morally backward to try and enforce a puritanical viewpoint of it on the internet. Such thinking limits critical thought and really puts children in a worse position if you fail to make it an OK subject of discussion.

****, on the other hand, is just a word without and harsh meaning. It has no strong connotation with it like the s-word does, and you can find better insult-words in the non-banned section. By making this a naughty word, it can become a naughty word. I don't see the harm in letting this one be un-censored, because it provides an alternative outlet away from other more severe words and is essentially harmless.

Those were just two specific cases because I can't see the banned word list, but the point stands: do not over-censor. Not only does it suck by hindering communication for those of us who are more mature and responsible, but it creates unnecessary stigmata in our society.

Thank you,
Yasuhiko
(Giovanni Prinzivalli)
Good point. +1

Usually people are more offensive with 'normal' words anyways. Like "Uninstall and kill yourself" is a wee bit more offensive than "cr a p i died lol". Silly right?

(Haha, in another game, I was once banned by an admin of a christian server for saying, and I quote, "lmao that actually hit me")

Yasuhiko

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-09-2011

Bumping this because it's still in place and the problems haven't changed.

BaconMonster5920

12-10-2011

You click agree to the Terms of Service, which as I recall when this came out required you to accept before you were allowed to play. Maybe it is wrong, but its their game and you agreed to everything even their so called anti-social word filter. Sorry if I sound mean but this is kind of how it is.

EarthruneSkarner

12-10-2011

Bacon, he's referring to the forum filter, specifically, two words: s e x and c r a p.

The former is a normal human activity and the latter is a 'bad' word because it is stigmatized as such. He also thinks that the latter should be unblocked if only to curtail attempts at using harsher words.

Malchak

12-10-2011

Anyone ever seen the iTunes Term of Service episode of South Park?
I don't think I've read one. I always just click "accept".

Why would I read 30 pages of legal jargon that is meant to confuse?

Yasuhiko

12-16-2011

What does the wording of the terms of service have to do with social policy? I'm trying to get them to change something that's backwards, not merely complain about the ToS.

TheBlackMonk

12-17-2011

ToS should merely be a "I wave my right to take legal action against this company for using this service/program in any way other than the intended use per the guidelines stated (Summoner's Code)."

Yasuhiko

12-31-2011

Bump. Still hoping Riot replies to this!

Xerocreative

12-31-2011

I agree...however as with many other online games there are young gamers and some parents are more restrictive as to what they wan't their kids to hear. Your next comment will be "Well there is a technical age restriction of Teen"....To counter this obvious retort i would say simply....take out all the 16 and under kids from the community and you would be a dead game in a month cause they make up a huge % of the community.

So from a money standpoint you can see why Riot takes such extreme steps.