[Guide] Ryze - the Hero Killer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Irony

09-21-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbis View Post
I was unaware you needed a guide to to know how to hit E, then R, then wait in the base for your ulti to come back up

There are a lot of dumb Ryze players out there

XxFlipxX

09-21-2009

Also, granted that lich bane grants benefits upon next "Physical" attack wouldnt it be silly to get lich bane if you are going to make your attacks magical by going into overload?

Elusive

09-22-2009

I pretty much agree with you on that note. I simply suggested those as recommended, as I strongly suggest the first item build I put forward.

Apokalupsis

09-23-2009

I for one found the guide to be very good. In fact, I owe you a big 'ole Thank You!

I've been playing for almost a week or so, level 21 now. I've tried over half the champs...found a couple that I like...but the best I could do was around 5-7-3 or so...and that was only once or twice. Usually, I'd be in the bottom 2...consistently. I sucked. My play style just didn't jive w/ the champs.

I followed your guide, runes/mastery/shop and strategy...my first game as Ryze...I was #1...11-1-4 or something like that. I was #1 or #2. My second game I went 19-2-5. I was #1. My 3rd game, I was #2.

It isn't a fluke...it's consistent. Your guide and having Ryze as my champ, turned a crappy noob player...into being consistently one of the top 2 players each and every round.

I chose your guide to focus on because it was the most complete yet most concise. I tried it out to the T, and it worked just like you said it would. I can take on a full healthed champ (any champ, especially melee's) and have them dead w/i 3-4 seconds (assuming my ult is up...if not, then either it takes a bit longer, or I force them to retreat).

Ryze is a bad mofo. Ty for helping this game be more fun for me.

Melaviste

09-24-2009

I have played Ryze for so long and first times I did the build you are proposing...
Unsuccessful.

I tried then to maximize Arcane and Rune Prison first, then build Overload later.
With the correct gameplay (attack & hide) and a good combination of items your damage output is so big they cannot stand.

Keep attacking, when they reach half health you rune-prison them, and then finish them with Overload or Ultimate.

And you have to play the hero-killer role... as creeping is very hard with him :/

Lerrem

09-24-2009

I had a question about ryze's ult. I have been in a situation where I have creeps standing behind me, with ryze directly in front of me, and his ult bounces between ryze and me to hit me multiple times and I die. I thought I would be safe with the creeps behind me and only take one blow, but I have seen it happen more then once where it doesnt bounce to them.

So my question is, what type of pathing does his ult take? Will it bounce to the nearest player each time? Does it have any type of preferencial target (ie low health target or a hero)? Is there a certain distance that it can bounce, and I should be closer to the creeps? Have I just been unlucky when it repeatedly bounces to me?

It just seams that even when i am with more heroes or creeps ryze with throw up a rune prison, stand directly on top of me, and use his ult, and it only bounces between the two of us. I tried to replicate this in a practice game and couldn't seam to get it to perform the same way. I figured somebody who plays ryze consistantly might understand how the ability works better then I.

Thanks.

Elusive

09-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalupsis View Post
I for one found the guide to be very good. In fact, I owe you a big 'ole Thank You!

I've been playing for almost a week or so, level 21 now. I've tried over half the champs...found a couple that I like...but the best I could do was around 5-7-3 or so...and that was only once or twice. Usually, I'd be in the bottom 2...consistently. I sucked. My play style just didn't jive w/ the champs.

I followed your guide, runes/mastery/shop and strategy...my first game as Ryze...I was #1...11-1-4 or something like that. I was #1 or #2. My second game I went 19-2-5. I was #1. My 3rd game, I was #2.

It isn't a fluke...it's consistent. Your guide and having Ryze as my champ, turned a crappy noob player...into being consistently one of the top 2 players each and every round.

I chose your guide to focus on because it was the most complete yet most concise. I tried it out to the T, and it worked just like you said it would. I can take on a full healthed champ (any champ, especially melee's) and have them dead w/i 3-4 seconds (assuming my ult is up...if not, then either it takes a bit longer, or I force them to retreat).

Ryze is a bad mofo. Ty for helping this game be more fun for me.
I'm glad it's helped you this much, and your welcome. I hope this will maybe turn some of the non believers that you can't just face roll to play Ryze.

Quote:
I have played Ryze for so long and first times I did the build you are proposing...
Unsuccessful.

I tried then to maximize Arcane and Rune Prison first, then build Overload later.
With the correct gameplay (attack & hide) and a good combination of items your damage output is so big they cannot stand.

Keep attacking, when they reach half health you rune-prison them, and then finish them with Overload or Ultimate.
Your gameplay style is different from mine here. The point of my guide is to put across a very aggressive and successful method of playing Ryze, not saying that it is the only way to play him. Have fun playing him your own way

Quote:
I had a question about ryze's ult. I have been in a situation where I have creeps standing behind me, with ryze directly in front of me, and his ult bounces between ryze and me to hit me multiple times and I die. I thought I would be safe with the creeps behind me and only take one blow, but I have seen it happen more then once where it doesnt bounce to them.

So my question is, what type of pathing does his ult take? Will it bounce to the nearest player each time? Does it have any type of preferencial target (ie low health target or a hero)? Is there a certain distance that it can bounce, and I should be closer to the creeps? Have I just been unlucky when it repeatedly bounces to me?

It just seams that even when i am with more heroes or creeps ryze with throw up a rune prison, stand directly on top of me, and use his ult, and it only bounces between the two of us. I tried to replicate this in a practice game and couldn't seam to get it to perform the same way. I figured somebody who plays ryze consistantly might understand how the ability works better then I.

Thanks.
I'm going to start off this post with a big -I'm not sure about what I'm going to propose-.
I think that Ryze's ulti is similar to a turret in it's preference order. For example, it will focus upon champions. But, the ultimate also has a very short range on the bounces, unlike the initial release. It sometimes will do as you say and hit a hero, and then pas through to supporting minions, but only if the range 1) in range of the bounces and 2) shorter than that of another champion (even the Ryze himself).
If I am on significant health I will always try to place myself as close to the opposition as possible if there are minions around (supposing you are sure you will kill the enemy). If not other great times are when there are 2 heroes against you, when it will just rebound between them.
Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer, as this is just from experience.

Lerrem

09-24-2009

No worries, I didnt expect you to know all the details of how the ability is coded. I was just hoping I could get an idea of how it works without having to play ryze exclusively. Im trying to play each character until I have a good understanding of what i can do with them and what they can do to me.

So from your experience, if I am standing around with creeps close by, but you are standing even closer to me, would you expect the ult to bounce between you and me, me to the creeps, or is it completely random?

I think I just have to start playing assuming it will always keep bouncing to me, that way I'm covered either way.

Elusive

09-24-2009

I would assume, if I were closer than the minions, that it would bounce between us, yes.

Lerrem

09-24-2009

Ok cool thanks. I assumed as long as the creeps were close by I was safe, and its starting to make me look like a jackass. I will hide better from now on.