Who else likes "Come-from-Behind" vicories?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reign28

05-14-2010

I just watched the Flyers make a come-from-behind Victory!!! Amazing game.

Crannicus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2010

In my opinion, come-from-behind victories define this game. In many strategy-based games, once you fall on the back foot and assuming you're not playing against a total newbie, you're done. But in LoL, you can bounce back from that mid-lane wipe-out, inhibitor down, hard pressure on top and bottom and push right through to their nexus to knock it down.

I'll never forget one of my first experiences as a player of League of Legends, a little over two weeks ago. I was a newbie, playing the game for only my second time. I was playing as Nasus, and had no idea about ninety percent of the game's mechanics. Our team was being led by an Ashe player who was clearly experienced, in retrospect.

We had been pushed hard in all three lanes. We had our perimeter turrets down on top and bottom, and the middle was falling fast. The Ashe player told us to retreat to base, farm creeps, and defend against the enemy as a group. And we did.

Soon after, we had farmed to the same level as them. We had the money to buy some nice gear. We were on the upswing. We lost an inhibitor up top, but it had respawned. We had scored a few kills. We were rallying.

We had a massive team fight, and we won. Ashe's DPS was high enough to drop two of the enemy champions, and the player managed to ping a third (Veigar) a quarter of the way up the mid lane, killing him, while their Morgana and Heimerdinger were in retreat. Then came the order to push mid.

We did, and we went knocking right on their front door. This was at the forty-five minute mark. One of the enemy team members started complaining about us being newbs, and he was wasting his valuable fighting time. A team fight fell in our favor (mostly because one of our enemies ragequit.) We knocked down the mid perimeter turret, and then the inhibitor, and went down to do the same. Then we pushed to the Nexus.

Soon after, the victory text (my first victory in the game, my second game playing) came up on the screen. I felt so proud that, even though I hadn't led our team to victory, I had helped turn around a failing game. It was one of the greatest feelings of accomplishment I had ever had from a game.

The game took an hour and a half to finish. It was epic, considering the low elo. I've had longer ones since. But my point is, after a good forty-five minutes of backpeddling, falling on our heels, and dying like mad, one experienced player with positive coaching was able to turn our team toward victory. And we found it.

So a tip for achieving a come-from-behind-victory? If your team lacks leadership, assume the role. The worst that can happen is you lose (and you were likely going to, anyway.) The best that can happen is you lead the charge right to the enemy nexus and knock it down. And that is one of the best feelings you'll get from this game.

f3nyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crannicus View Post
In my opinion, come-from-behind victories define this game. In many strategy-based games, once you fall on the back foot and assuming you're not playing against a total newbie, you're done......
Wow you got good memory pal. Ive had like 4 or five games like that and those are the most fun ones! Unfortunatly i also have about 3 or 4 games where the one that came far from behind was the enemy team.

Definitely one of the things that make LoL special.

DotA didnt had that usually people was leaving after the first 10 minutes of gamesplay becouse they didn't got an easy match.

Crannicus

05-14-2010

Even losing in a come-from-behind fashion isn't terrible; you learn a lesson in humility and errors in your strategy or team build can be exposed.

And yes, I've lost this way, too.

xDiamantx

05-14-2010

Satisfying but can be very long games.

FABIOForever

05-14-2010

Eh, in theory they're great. The problem is too many people refuse to surrender a totally hopeless game thinking they're going to pull a from behind victory.

Guys, they have three times the hero and tower kills we do, are several levels ahead of us, and stomp us in every group fight. We are not going to close the level gap while all five of us are grouped up trying to defend our inhibitor tower. Just end it and start a new game.

There's always the one or two guys who insist on never surrendering for dumb reasons like e-honor and "teaching noobs a lesson".

matthoyle

05-14-2010

Quote:
Guys, they have three times the hero and tower kills we do, are several levels ahead of us, and stomp us in every group fight. We are not going to close the level gap while all five of us are grouped up trying to defend our inhibitor tower. Just end it and start a new game.
I totally agree with you on that one--when your team has tried and tried and tried again and are still miserably behind it is probably time to move on. Unfortunately what most people do is give up at 25 minutes when the game isn't even close to being decided yet (or earlier by afking)

Quote:
So a tip for achieving a come-from-behind-victory? If your team lacks leadership, assume the role. The worst that can happen is you lose (and you were likely going to, anyway.) The best that can happen is you lead the charge right to the enemy nexus and knock it down. And that is one of the best feelings you'll get from this game.
Too often in Pugs especially, nobody is willing to grow a pair and lead the team. It does feel epic indeed to feel like you lead your team to victory (even if its 4 other strangers you don't even know).

Theorycrafter

05-15-2010

Awww... I thought you meant backdooring. Oh well.

crimsonlyre

05-15-2010

This prob sounds silly, but I basically never surrender on Heim, because despite how bad the game seems to be going, Heim can single-handedly turn games around. He prevents what would normally be a push, and if left unchecked, can kill towers faster than a carry. I play him as tanky, and it just works really well for me, because they can't take me down, and I just run circles around my turrets, making sure to time upgrade appropriately. I've had plenty of scenarios where I've gotten Aces just because they expect Heimer to crumble.

Everyone always thanks me for blocking the surrender afterward. The Professor never surrenders!

If my team is truly that helpless and we are being straight up roflstomped though, yeah.... I'm the first to hit that surrender button. You just know when a game is clearly lost- but even then some people refuse to surrender, usually the ones who still feel like they can do something, despite the overpowering teamwork of the opposition. After each failed surrender I just type "Thanks for wasting my time"... prob a ****** move, but it's true.

Eppa

05-15-2010

Making a comeback is the general term. Or was it ment to be a sexual pun