[Guide] Smashing Good Times

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mrva8

09-16-2010

Nice guide
What do you think about maxing pulverize 1.? Its aoe dmg, only slighty smaller then heatbutt and its easier to get gold on creeps, when creeps vs creeps with 2-3 of them take dmg, with higher pulverize you kill 2-3 of them get sheen proc for the 3. or 4. creep, have to to that offten since melee champs in my line stay away from me & i have some mana to waste. Its a bit better in mid game team fights the aoe dmg but you lose the "ranged" hit strength.
And what do you think about getting Spirit Visage as the 3. complete item? Since some of the items you listed are expensive, Spirit Visage is cheap & has a nice boost on roar skill (36hp extra heal on you, 18 on m8s, max roar lv with out any ap) + the rest of the item effect
Im only lv 14, correct me if im wrong somewhere, still learning...

Kodoku

09-16-2010

The main reason for leveling headbutt before pulverize is the range difference. While laning, getting off a pulverize on a carry or mage probably isn't going to happen without using flash and/or ghost. To avoid headbutt, however, a player would need to stay so far back so as to lose gold/xp. Thus after a taking a few headbutts, it becomes much easier to set up a gank. The trade off is in teamfights, where the aoe from Pulverize would be superior, though your ability to deal damage in mid-late games becomes a lot less important.

Alistar's creep-farming abilities are pretty much the worst in the game, but because of how little gold he actually needs, it's better to let your lanemate hog the last hits anyway. As for items, I almost never get to a third complete item (if we're not including boots). In many cases the game will end with me having second tier boots, a sheen, and a health crystal (rest of money spent on wards/oracles). This is, however, at 1700+ Elo where the laning phase ends quickly and games tend to be decided by the 25 minute mark - in less competitive environments, you'll likely have a lot more money to work with.

Spirit Visage is a decent item, mainly because it's the only cheap item with cooldown reduction without inappropriate stats for Alistar. As long as you're not already capped on CDR, it's a perfectly acceptable third item (e.g. after Tri-force and Aegis).

Kodoku

10-23-2010

Finally, flash being removed and flash boots being put in. Carries will tend to have one less escape mechanism, and flash boots will become a universal item in this build.

ryzeonline

03-18-2011

This really gave me a lot of insight into some indepth timing and finesse of Alistar's skillset. Thanks so much Kodoku, it seems like you've really poured some heart and soul into playing Ali