[Guide] Smashing Good Times

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kodoku

05-18-2010

Now that it's in the official list, I can get away with not having Alistar in the title.

Nivled

05-23-2010

I must say solid guide. Although I didn't use everything I saw in this guide, it's still gave me important tips to use.

Like Headbutt above Pulverize. Found my harassing and laning capability was much better with that.

Just a word to people reading the guide. Take pulverize level 1 (for first blood), then either headbutt or roar level 2 depending on how you're doing. I had an earlier game where a good mundo was constantly cleavering me. I had to take roar at level 2, headbutt at level 3, then roar again at level 4. Don't be afraid to get roar to level 2 early (which I find is sufficient for up to mid game) instead of another level of headbutt.

I have a few questions.

1) Why MPEN runes? for pulverize and headbutt? Won't ArPEN runes be better against minions/sheen activations/tower(I'm not sure about tower)

2) With Dodge runes, is going 9/21/0 and taking ninja tabi an option? You lose your cooldowns, but you gain a lot more durability (nimbleness procs and general defense masteries)

3) With your recommended 9/0/21, there are 2 additional points to allocate besides the blindingly obvious ones. What do you take? Greed? Utility Mastery? Expanded Mind? Good Hands?

I'm guessing that Greed and 1 rank in Utility Mastery will be the way to go, but I almost never get golem or lizard buff as Alistar. I only got it once when we won a team fight and I jungled for lizard buff while waiting for my team to heal back at fountain for a final push.

~ Nivled

Flashfires

05-24-2010

Thanks for posting this, I've been looking to give Alistar a shot.

Kodoku

05-24-2010

Quote:
1) Why MPEN runes? for pulverize and headbutt? Won't ArPEN runes be better against minions/sheen activations/tower(I'm not sure about tower)
Most of your harassment damage will be magic (and most of that will be headbutt), so the total amount of damage you deal to champions (early on, anyway) will be mostly magic. Having said that, ArPen is definitely a viable alternative and I wouldn't buy MPen if you already have the former. I can't really say that one is better than the other.

Quote:
2) With Dodge runes, is going 9/21/0 and taking ninja tabi an option? You lose your cooldowns, but you gain a lot more durability (nimbleness procs and general defense masteries)
Though the nimbleness procs may make up for the lost movement speed, the fact that you're losing the ghost mastery, flash mastery, summoner spell mastery and the 6% cooldown mastery makes it too costly to invest in defensive masteries. Having ghost/flash up as often as possible is crucial for Alistar's roles.

Quote:
3) With your recommended 9/0/21, there are 2 additional points to allocate besides the blindingly obvious ones. What do you take? Greed? Utility Mastery? Expanded Mind? Good Hands?
They're definitely tossups, but I do in fact go greed and utility mastery. Though you won't ever be taking the buffs directly from the jungle, you will be killing junglers who come to gank your lane. And an Alistar with both buffs is an unstoppable beast in the laning phase.

Nivled

05-26-2010

Thanks for your reply kodoku. Looks like I'll be using your build for quite sometime.
9/0/21
R>W>Q>E

I tend to use exhaust myself instead of ghost, but I guess it depends on your playstyle. Exhaust is slightly better for first blood and laning (you need more burst damage, together with your lane mate). Ghost is better end game and team battles as it allows you to position yourself.

With improved Ghost, you can technically setup twice with pulverize, given the long duration of ghost

~ Nivled

Kodoku

06-24-2010

Today's patch seems to have improved Alistar's attack animation - less delay to attack after using a spell, and in general seems to attack more quickly.

Backspace90

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-05-2010

thanks for keeping it updated, keep up with this guide, please.

Nivled

07-05-2010

I've been playing Alistar a bit. I've changed my item built a bit

Now I start with
1) Doran's Ring + HP Pot -> Gives you a longer lane presence (Especially if you are laning with a carry who you need to constantly babysit with Pulverize and Roars)
2) Boots 1
3) Sheen
4) Boots of Swiftness (Movement 3)
5) Triforce
6) Get a Cooldown item or Fort Potion

For 6) I like to get work on Fiendish Codex (I usually sell Doran's Ring at this time) and ultimately Nashor's Tooth (Increased attack speed works well with Triforce's slow)

My masteries are 9/0/21, as per the guide's suggestion. My skill built is also the same.

I'm considering changing my Dodge runes to Mana Regen / Level so that I can get Sapphire crystal immediately.

~ Nivled

Kodoku

09-09-2010

Change to Sheen makes it harder to chain together a W-attack-Q-attack-E-attack combo in time-sensitive situations for maximum damage, but otherwise doesn't seem to affect Alistar significantly.

Suppression mechanic makes it more dangerous to hold Unbreakable Will past 50% health, though having Warwick or Urgot blow their ultimates on Alistar would most likely be a mistake in team fights.

Kodoku

09-15-2010

A note on itemizing for excessive survivability. If you purchase significantly more health/mitigation than strictly necessary, you're unlikely to have game-winning situations like this: