10 Helpful and easy to use tips to Play Better.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ColeWinters

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2011

1. Communicate with your team in champion select, do this before locking in with the champion you feel like playing. This might save you from the incredibly frustrating game when you have Karthus, Brand, Lux, Nidalee, and Singed as your team. [And Karthus and Brand share mid, because they are both being stubborn about it.]

2. Use the mini-map. So many times when the enemy team successfully ganks you, your first instinct is to negativly blame your team-mates for not pinging/calling an mia. This is especially embarrassing when they DID call Mia...[and you just missed it because you were busy fighting]. Having good map awareness is a skill learned through practice and habit [like checking the rear-view mirror.] Learn to play safer when you can't locate enemy carries.

3. Buy Wards and place them in well traveled routes/at buffs/dragon/baron etc. A well placed ward in conjuction with tip #2 increases map awareness, decreases the enemy teams success rate while attempting ganks, and allows you to steal/disrupt enemy jungling/dragon slaying. If everyone buys a ward or two over the course of the game, it really doesn't cost much in exchange for the money you save [by not feeding the enemy team kills]

4. Communicate using the in game chat function. Communication between team-mates can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Call MIA's, offer advice, plan ganks, and support your team. It goes a long way.

5. Stay positive /Don't harrass, blame and fight. You can turn a little mistake/misjudgement into a loss extremely easily. Player A makes a negative comment, Player B decides to quit/idle/feed. Yes Player B is a drama queen with issues taking critisism, but player A provoked that reaction and is equally at fault. Sometimes you just have to embrace the fact that YOU CAN'T WIN THEM ALL! Try and give helpful itemization advice, or laning tips to the player that is playing poorly. Who knows, they might even improve [you never know when matchmaking will put you together again!!]

6. Don't carelessly push lanes [spam auto-attacks]. Pushing lanes during the laning phase is a subtle and difficult process. If you are reckless and advance too far from your tower, you are presenting the enemy team with a gank opportunity. The easiest way to not "over-zealously" push a lane is to be conservative while auto-attacking and try to LAST HIT. [Instruction on last hitting below]

> When the two sets of minions meet in lane, watch to see which enemy minion is dieing the fastest [usually a melee minion that your ranged minions are targeting.] left click on the minion that is being wounded the fastest to see his "health value". When his health value drops below your champions "Attack Damage" value, auto attack the minion. each character has a different range/auto attack speed, so you might mess up a few times while learning the timing. If your champion is melee based make sure you account for the time it takes to walk adjacent to the minion, in addition to the length of time it takes you to swing.

Generally People who just right click on a minion and don't time their auto-attacks will find they make less money and recieve less last hits over all, because an allied minion will "steal" the last hit.

7. Learn from your mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes, it's what we do after that point that sets the really great players apart. Instead of blameing the situation on lag/the phone/your team-mates/your pet...etc. Admit that "face-checking that bush as teemo" was probably just a dumb thing to do. Apply that learning to your future gameplay ^.^

8. Make sure you have enough time to play the game. Don't look at the clock and say... "Man, I have like 30 minutes before I have to leave for school/work...I can squeeze in a quick game." Yeah, but after 30 second queue, 1 min champ select, a dodge, another queue, another champ select and then the load up screen....Unless your team[or their team] is going to surrender at 20 minutes exactly, you are probably gonna end up letting your team-mates down when you have to leave early.

9. Don't troll. It might be really funny to play League of legends after binge drinking all night long with your teenaged friends, and then play tank annie, but I guarentee that there are gonna be 4 people who aren't going to find it funny. Just ask yourself: If I wasn't drunk and high right now, and I actually wanted to win this game, would I be having a good time if I ended up playing with an ****** like me? :P Treat others how you want to be treated.

10. Don't play Co-op Versus AI any more than you have to. Playing against bots is super fun. You always end up doing amazing! Your score looks great! However, playing against bots actually develops bad habits. It encourages risk-taking, and fails to re-create a genuine gaming environment. As good as the bots are, they don't hold a candle to the unpredictability of an actual player. There are some skills and behaviours you can only master when your opponent is as free to act as you are, which challenges you in a completely different way. If you get comfortable PWNing the bots I gaurentee you will be worse off for it, and you will not be able to compete with other players at the same level as you. Use it as a tool for learning the basics, and then move on...or you will be punished later.

Above all else, have fun. Remember that it is just a game. You can't win them all, you WON'T lose them all. Try new champions, and find your niche!

Enjoy your games community. [Posted in General Discussion and was told that it might be better in the guides section]

-CW

Jayboat Prime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeWinters View Post
10. Don't play Co-op Versus AI any more than you have to. Playing against bots is super fun. You always end up doing amazing! Your score looks great! However, playing against bots actually develops bad habits. It encourages risk-taking, and fails to re-create a genuine gaming environment. As good as the bots are, they don't hold a candle to the unpredictability of an actual player.
This is the part I feel I agree with more than everything else. The downside is, people encourage bot games (or rather, rudely suggest is when you're not doing well in normal games), but they don't realize you can win most bot games with 2-3 items. This applies more to Custom than Co-Op, however. My point being, you gain more hands-on experience with new champions in normal games, but perhaps after one or two bot games.

I do agree with the human players being unpredictable, but sometimes the bots are, too. You never know when you turret dive if the accosted bot is going to constantly try to Recall, or make a run for it.

TheWhite2086

08-22-2011

Good tips that noone should have ever have needed to take the time to type but since this game is a n00b breeding ground they are good to have.

Some notes/additional comments

#1 If your team isn't communicating in pre-game, don't lock in until you see what they do. If they have all gone tank then you can pick your DPS char. If they have all gone ranged, go melee etc. It helps if you have a guy you like for each role (eg, I'll play Xin if I can but I can also go Sona if we need a support or Teemo if we need a semiCC/DPS)

#3 Only really good if the whole team does it. If you are the only one buying wards then it will help but not as much as if others are (two people with wards are more than twice as good as one person with wards)

#9 Or play with your other 4 high/drunk friends or play vs AI where it doesn't matter as much

#10 Co-op vs AI is great for learning the basics of new character. Learn what the abilities do and get a grip on how they play and a basic (early to mid game) item build. 5 games MAX per character. After that go back to normal

Azellos

08-22-2011

i agree with all 10, but i must mention i went 12 5 as AD annie yesterday, and we won the game.

Schramtor

08-22-2011

Good list, fairly standard, but for new players should be helpful. My one modification would be for #3

1 to 2 wards per person over the course of a game is only 10 wards, they only last 3 minutes, so while helpful, you are not getting the most use out of these lovely items.

If I am solo queuing I alone will probably use 10-15 over the course of a game

When I play with friends, we are probably close to using ~75 wards over the course of a ~45 minute game. Knowledge is power, and when you have their jungle lit up like a Christmas tree you have the power. Dragon, baron, etc. you have to have wards there all the time, but any path into/out of your/their jungle is also a decent spot for more vision control.

When you can see the movement of the entire enemy team (exaggerating a bit) you can easily find the one or two that are overextended and hit them with your entire team.

Mind you this is more for when it is a ~close game. If you are stomping them, w/e but when you are fairly equally matched and a 5v4 means objectives lost, you want to make sure they are the ones fighting a man down.

Merit133

Recruiter

08-22-2011

1. Make fun of the champs your team selects and tell them they are picking a bad champs.
2. Tell your team "Mid or I feed".
3. Facecheck bushes
4. Turret dive as early as possible, more turret hits = more gold
5. Don't learn to jungle so you have no idea about buff respawn timers
6. When someone on your team dies, call them a feeder and tell them to l2 play
7. As the game goes on to 20+ minutes, wander around solo and don't group with your team.
8. Attack all minions all the time, last-hitting is for chumps who don't know how to push.
9. Press D to dance and F to taunt your targets, intimidation is key
10. Don't take flash, it is the worst summoner skill ever

Unstizzy

08-22-2011

Don't know what alcohol has to do with trolling.... I understand if they are kids but Trolls are gonna troll. I play just as well tipsy. Hate the troll, not the drug. haha

ColeWinters

08-23-2011

Bump!