About champion selection before game start

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nightfire

07-20-2009

I got to play last weekend in the beta and I had a lot of fun. One thing I do not like is how you can have the same champions on each team. I am not sure if this was brought up before or not. I would rather have it like.. Here is the selection of champions and everyone picks but you can only pick one of each champion. Keep the Doubles out imo.

Zwiki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2009

That cant really do that at their launch state though because the free users only start with 6 champions which would leave 4 players without heroes.

Nightfire

07-20-2009

hmm true. But it is annoying playing against ur self in a lane ya know.

Volibar

Senior Product Manager

Follow Volibar on Twitter

07-20-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hey Nightfire, glad you had a good time your first weekend!

We talked about this quite a bit in the past, but we ultimately decided that we wanted players to be able to play the characters they wanted. The idea that someone on the other team can pick the character you wanted to play, ever though you worked hard to unlock them was not as appealing as just dealing with the "clone" issue. Think of it as Street Fighter, where you pick Ryu and your opponent does also - I don't think there's any strategic advantage for that, and you both get to play who you want!

SteamPunk

Recruiter

07-20-2009

That's where some of the competition comes in See who is better with the champion. Since two people are using the same character, it comes down to your choice of items and skills, both your character skills and the players. I quite like this because I like to crush my opponents, both in the fight and their morale.

Nightfire

07-20-2009

mhmm good point, I see why its like that now. thanks for the replys.

nDqA9g8fm1q3cHRT

Adjudicator

07-20-2009

You need to be able to see your opponent's levels while picking the champions. 1 to make sure the matchmaking isn't just going to screw you over, and 2 because you want a general idea of who is a threat to your team.

TenToedPete1

Adjudicator

07-23-2009

Quote:
You need to be able to see your opponent's levels while picking the champions. 1 to make sure the matchmaking isn't just going to screw you over, and 2 because you want a general idea of who is a threat to your team.
highly agree. Last weekend i played 3 premade games with other rank 30s, and we all picked champions we were decent with in the first two games, and ended up winning each pretty quickly due to uneven matchmaking. In the third we all randomed, had weird summoner spells for the champions, and were mostly all playing champions we are not particularly good with, and it was the one game against another premade team of 30s