I know what I'm about to say is MobA heresy but...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nasty Neighbor

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoz View Post
speak for yourself. You have to be blind not to notice the 70k people watching the streams. I enjoy watching them and many others do also. Can it be better? Sure, and dominion is probably custom made with the spectator community in mind. Riot is serious about their e-sport status, look at the 5 million dollar season 2 prize pool. That is an amazing pot.
I wont argue that 5 million dollar prize pool is some serious cash and it will make those matches so much more interesting to watch because of how much cash is on the line.

As far as e-sports go i think LoL has a ton of potential.

Money changes everything if you are watching a LoL tourney finals and a friend walks in and laughs and says "Thats such a waste of time" and you reply "Prize is 5 million dollars" his tone will probably change abit.

LethalityVoX

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak al Maut View Post
Watching dominion is fun. I don't think winning a game of Dominion will feel as satisfying as winning a game of Classic. I also think there will be more emphasis on tactics and less emphasis on actual strategy on dominion.
For me when I win a game of classic it's more a sense of relief than satisfaction. It's like "awesome, I managed to corral these feeders and ragers to a win despite the massive flame war they had going on. I'll try and savor this moment and block out the fact that I know next game I'm probably going to lose because of idiots."

That's what Elo hell is. It's not that it's inescapable, it's that it drains you to the point where you don't even want to try after a while. Can you escape if you and a friend demand to duo bot every game? Possibly, if a troll doesn't object, but it's still depressing that you don't have a fair shot/pleasant experience going in solo.

I don't queue for a game of ranked solo with a sense of anticipation, I queue with a sense of dread. I cross my fingers and hope that I don't get a troll/feeder/leaver/rager/kid that refuses to play ANYTHING but Teemo mid.

Baconnaise

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
Imagine if instead of having a brawl the UFC just told both contestants to stand 2 feet from each other and take turns punching each other in the head till one person was knocked out or quit.

Thats pretty much dominion versus normal LoL.
The comparison was about how action lessens the intensity or excitement for the crowd and participants themselves. MMA and UFC popularity and growth still retain these moments and yet are usually filled with constant action.

DeadXera

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Why dominion can't go competitive.

Too much action. It dulls down the good moments. Since EVERYTHING is an action moment the announcers can't just build up excitement for 30 straight minutes.
Too little strategy. Its just a micro tactics game. You lows and highs of a typical match don't apply. You don't go oooohhhhh you go Oh, he died again.

Put simply, it'd be like if they made an official game mode for starcraft 2 where each player started off with 50 units and then microed their way to victory, last team standing wins. It'd be like SO MUCH EXCITEMENT but eventually you'd be left craving more.
so we need Korean Starcraft announcers. They make SCV production seem awesome!

BigDaddyRelish

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Why dominion can't go competitive.

Too much action. It dulls down the good moments. Since EVERYTHING is an action moment the announcers can't just build up excitement for 30 straight minutes.
Too little strategy. Its just a micro tactics game. You lows and highs of a typical match don't apply. You don't go oooohhhhh you go Oh, he died again.

Put simply, it'd be like if they made an official game mode for starcraft 2 where each player started off with 50 units and then microed their way to victory, last team standing wins. It'd be like SO MUCH EXCITEMENT but eventually you'd be left craving more.
Wow, you don't know much about video games do you.

Archlord Mythos

08-19-2011

I think that if ANY dota-style game is going to become a fun spectator e-sport, it's going to need to take a lesson from Dominion. Shorter, fast-paced matches wherein the advantage can shift unexpectedly.

Hate to say it, but the standard DotA / Summoner's Rift map is just... not nearly as exciting to watch. I mean, even with the addition of denying in DotA, and map size changes, I just don't find it to be near as exciting as something like Dominion.