I know what I'm about to say is MobA heresy but...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LethalityVoX

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talrath View Post
I like the removal of the tedious aspects of MOBAs (farming, hiding by turrets/passive gameplay etc.) that Dominion seems to provide.
LoL's towers are RIDICULOUS. Dominate someone in lane, get them to 20 health, god forbid you dive them to finish it because the tower two shots you, then they cherry tap you for a kill.

hashinshin

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconnaise View Post
Why is the UFC and MMA in general so popular then?
Imagine if instead of having a brawl the UFC just told both contestants to stand 2 feet from each other and take turns punching each other in the head till one person was knocked out or quit.

Thats pretty much dominion versus normal LoL.

Khristophoros

The Council

08-19-2011

The thing is that it's never been fun to watch. DotA wasn't fun to watch, still isn't. LoL wasn't, never will be. I don't think that makes it bad for competitive play. It just makes it bad for people who like to spectate e-sports.

I mean maybe Dominion will be fun to watch, and that's good of course, but that doesn't make it strictly superior to Summoner's Rift for competitive players who are actually playing the game.

Political Squid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

IMO, its not even the same game. Yeah, champions are the same, but they won't be anywhere near played the same. What Flamingo said was pretty close to what I'm thinking. You'll have your characters that are considered defensive, offensive, and support. You'll have characters built for high mobility (scout), harass (soldier), or pure push (pyro) as offense. Likewise, characters with traps and poke would fulfill the traditional demo and engy roles. Heavy would essentially be the initiator role. Your "heavy" would be responsible for breaking any turtles that emerge around a point, most likely with some support hero backing him up. Support is fairly self explanatory.

How you end up building your teams would depend on your playstyle. Maybe you go "scout rush", and get five heroes with high mobility whose sole job is to just keep your opponents on their toes. Perhaps you go defensive heavy, maybe three defensive with two high mobility heroes. This way you get three points and sit on them. Safe, but with your two floating DPS to back up any point under pressure, it would be a hard nut to crack. It'll be interesting to see what develops.

LethalityVoX

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
Why dominion can't go competitive.

Too much action. It dulls down the good moments. Since EVERYTHING is an action moment the announcers can't just build up excitement for 30 straight minutes.
Too little strategy. Its just a micro tactics game. You lows and highs of a typical match don't apply. You don't go oooohhhhh you go Oh, he died again.

Put simply, it'd be like if they made an official game mode for starcraft 2 where each player started off with 50 units and then microed their way to victory, last team standing wins. It'd be like SO MUCH EXCITEMENT but eventually you'd be left craving more.
I disagree, clutch plays exist in both game modes, as we've already seen, but if I have to choose between the bulk of the game being constant action or a lanky nerd farmfest, I'm going with the action.

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Watching dominion is fun. I don't think winning a game of Dominion will feel as satisfying as winning a game of Classic. I also think there will be more emphasis on tactics and less emphasis on actual strategy on dominion.

Nasty Neighbor

08-19-2011

Look like alot of fun i haven't really played LoL in awhile now mostly just troll the forums waiting for Dominion.
After todays stream i'm pretty pumped.

Also alot of ufc fight ends when someone gets the other guy on the ground and punches them to the point the ref has to call the fight. Way more entertaining to watch then a match of dominion.

Daigoz

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khristophoros View Post
The thing is that it's never been fun to watch. DotA wasn't fun to watch, still isn't. LoL wasn't, never will be. I don't think that makes it bad for competitive play. It just makes it bad for people who like to spectate e-sports.

I mean maybe Dominion will be fun to watch, and that's good of course, but that doesn't make it strictly superior to Summoner's Rift for competitive players who are actually playing the game.
speak for yourself. You have to be blind not to notice the 70k people watching the streams. I enjoy watching them and many others do also. Can it be better? Sure, and dominion is probably custom made with the spectator community in mind. Riot is serious about their e-sport status, look at the 5 million dollar season 2 prize pool. That is an amazing pot.

Mythoclast

08-19-2011

It looks very exciting and fast paced with lots of fighting. This will appeal to casuals.

It looks very strategic and tactical rewarding lots of organization and communication. This will appeal to competitives.

So yeah, definitely something for anyone.

Remember Pluto

08-19-2011

And here comes Xin from left field.