Dominion - Too much of a good thing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

business turtle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

You didn't even play it yet.

TSP RAPTURE

08-19-2011

Yes lets QQ about a new game mode and map that a lot of people wished for and lets just scrap it and stick to the old Summoners Rift for a couple more years.....
Edit:I was being scarastic geez..

LeorioSan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

DAoC blowz

Hurr1cane

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedali View Post
I really hate passive gameplay. I love fighting other players and get bored just farming minions. Because of this, I thought Dominion would be just my thing. I figured I'd love the nonstop action and shorter game times that it promised. However, I've been watching the stream, and instead of being excited, I've just found myself wondering if the game was over yet. The 20 minute games seemed longer than 30-40 minute SR games.

I'm wondering if the truly nonstop action actually cheapens the thrill of fights. In SR, almost all fighting is exciting because it doesn't happen as often and kills and deaths have a far greater impact. In Dominion, it really isn't very exciting seeing people fighting and dying and killing because it doesn't really mean as much. It matters on a grand scale, but individual fights and kills mean very little.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it looks like Dominion will be a map that's fun to mess around on for a while, but boring in the long term. I don't know if there are any DAoC players here, but the battlegrounds would be analogous to it. They're fun to tool around in for quick and easy fights, but if you're looking for any real exciting and challenging pvp, you play the frontiers.
Well, for the record securing the battlegrounds was what opened the Darkness Falls PvP dungeons... so playing there definitely had a meaning.

But I take your original point to be sure; I'm watching the streams and it just seems like hectic fighting and kills all over with very little meaning to each death.

Maybe it's just hella fun all the time, so we won't even miss the careful, conservative, position-based gameplay that we've grown used to in SR.

I can't imagine anybody is running around *****ing that their teammates aren't using wards in teh Crystal Scar...

StarkeĆ½

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrohannesJahms View Post
There is no pleasing some people.

They don't have to please everyone. However those of us who don't like a map with this play style are allowed to say so. Perfect world, isn't it?

Jack Poe

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by issfire View Post
Your concern is valid, but remember that you're watching on a stream which focuses on all the action across the map.

As an individual player, there are periods of highs and low tension. Even if the periods of low tension are much shorter than on Summoner's Rift.
Dat Rumble.

PwnHead

Master Recruiter

08-19-2011

I have to agree with Kedali. I also think that we will see a lot of tanky dps/ap characters as they have the sustain dmg and survivability wich is really needed. I dont see how one would set up a good team combo as there are almost only 2v2 or 1v1 fights. Double apnuke, a ranged ad, a tank and a support? rather not.
we will see a lot of "LULZ UDYR PWNZ" picks.

according to that i dont think that the crystal scar will be that exciting as E-sports map. CLG vs Fnatic facerolling and slaughtering each other for 20 minutes until one team wins wont be a big deal.

Maybe I am wrong and there will be massive tactical stuff coming up, but we will see.

However, this game looks fun to play when summoners rift solo queue is making you rage again

Kedali

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by issfire View Post
Your concern is valid, but remember that you're watching on a stream which focuses on all the action across the map.

As an individual player, there are periods of highs and low tension. Even if the periods of low tension are much shorter than on Summoner's Rift.
This makes sense. I really am looking forwards to playing Dominion and giving it a real try. Just a bit worried since I've played other games where nonstop action was great at first, but ended up leading to an unsatisfying experience after a while.

Kelfryn

08-19-2011

Im pretty sure it just seems that way from watching, I mean sure when i was watching the stream of the sr games there were times i wanted to get out of my seat and be oh **** did that just happen, then the streams of the dominon games the fights seemed less exiciting, more like its to be expected, but by no means does that mean its less fun. I got more stoked up about the game type from watching it and cant wait.

Celdur0

08-19-2011

I think Dominion will be fun at first, and possibly fun to play every so often. I highly doubt it will become competitive though and I also doubt it will be played anywhere near as much as SR (except at release).
I could be proven wrong tho...