Dominion - Too much of a good thing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JOHNNY SUPERNOVA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

I don't think this will be a problem.

Games with a lot of fighting and action (like multiplayer fps) have never had this problem, and I don't think dominion will either.

Verx Interis

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedali View Post
I really hate passive gameplay. I love fighting other players and get bored just farming minions. Because of this, I thought Dominion would be just my thing. I figured I'd love the nonstop action and shorter game times that it promised. However, I've been watching the stream, and instead of being excited, I've just found myself wondering if the game was over yet. The 20 minute games seemed longer than 30-40 minute SR games.

I'm wondering if the truly nonstop action actually cheapens the thrill of fights. In SR, almost all fighting is exciting because it doesn't happen as often and kills and deaths have a far greater impact. In Dominion, it really isn't very exciting seeing people fighting and dying and killing because it doesn't really mean as much. It matters on a grand scale, but individual fights and kills mean very little.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it looks like Dominion will be a map that's fun to mess around on for a while, but boring in the long term. I don't know if there are any DAoC players here, but the battlegrounds would be analogous to it. They're fun to tool around in for quick and easy fights, but if you're looking for any real exciting and challenging pvp, you play the frontiers.
I don't see what your problem is.

If you need a quick, cheap thrill, play Dominion and get into some fights.

If you want a deep, strategic game with a lot of intricacies, play Summoner's Rift.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Kedali

08-19-2011

I don't know why so many of you are rabidly defending Dominion. I didn't say it shouldn't be released or that there's no potential fun in it. I'm just wondering if it has the power to hold people's attention over the long term, or if it will get boring after a while. As I've said, I hope that it is very exciting and I can enjoy playing it for a long time.

Mr Dean

08-19-2011

@ OP.

Go away.

Watch the season finale of South Park.

You are a cynical ass.

Go make your parents divorce.

Starkeý

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedali View Post
I don't know why so many of you are rabidly defending Dominion. I didn't say it shouldn't be released or that there's no potential fun in it. I'm just wondering if it has the power to hold people's attention over the long term, or if it will get boring after a while. As I've said, I hope that it is very exciting and I can enjoy playing it for a long time.
I hope that the game doesn't play out like the suicide fest that the rioters turned it in to. Hopefully it will have some strategic depth to it beyond what you would find in Arathi Basin.

tKIyTdVq32Bwegfc

08-19-2011

dominion wont get boring
just like aram.

issfire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

08-19-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Your concern is valid, but remember that you're watching on a stream which focuses on all the action across the map.

As an individual player, there are periods of highs and low tension. Even if the periods of low tension are much shorter than on Summoner's Rift.

Princess Piche

08-19-2011

I have to agree with OP. Maybe it's a game mode that's more fun to play than it is to watch, but I got bored watching pretty quickly.

in SR, the suspense before a gank happens, hoping they get the kill, etc, that's exciting. The non-stop zerg-fest of Dominion gets kind of stale. It just seems too chaotic for me to appreciate it when someone gets a kill. In Summoner's Rift when you kill someone you know it's because you capitalized on their mistake or you planned a good gank. It looks like people just kill and die like crazy in Dominion and that kills much of the excitement for me.

Maybe as the game mode progresses people will create new strategies and it'll seem less chaotic. Anyway it does look like a fun more fast paced game to play.

Starkeý

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by issfire View Post
Your concern is valid, but remember that you're watching on a stream which focuses on all the action across the map.

As an individual player, there are periods of highs and low tension. Even if the periods of low tension are much shorter than on Summoner's Rift.
Fair enough. I guess I'm too old school in my Dota/LoL sensibilities. I'll give it a fair shake when it comes out and form a real opinion from there. The stream sneak peak just seemed way to much all the time for me.

edit: Maybe its like baseball or golf. Fun to play but boring to watch.

BrohannesJahms

08-19-2011

There is no pleasing some people.