Dominion - Too much of a good thing?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kedali

08-19-2011

I really hate passive gameplay. I love fighting other players and get bored just farming minions. Because of this, I thought Dominion would be just my thing. I figured I'd love the nonstop action and shorter game times that it promised. However, I've been watching the stream, and instead of being excited, I've just found myself wondering if the game was over yet. The 20 minute games seemed longer than 30-40 minute SR games.

I'm wondering if the truly nonstop action actually cheapens the thrill of fights. In SR, almost all fighting is exciting because it doesn't happen as often and kills and deaths have a far greater impact. In Dominion, it really isn't very exciting seeing people fighting and dying and killing because it doesn't really mean as much. It matters on a grand scale, but individual fights and kills mean very little.

I hope that I'm wrong, but it looks like Dominion will be a map that's fun to mess around on for a while, but boring in the long term. I don't know if there are any DAoC players here, but the battlegrounds would be analogous to it. They're fun to tool around in for quick and easy fights, but if you're looking for any real exciting and challenging pvp, you play the frontiers.

Vogie

08-19-2011

More proof that whatever Riot does, it pisses people off.

urmamasllama

08-19-2011

that is your opinion and your preference and you have every right to have it. to each their own

Grunghole

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatyus View Post
Can't please everyone.

Personally, I can't wait for Dominion to come out. I get tired of the 50-minute farmfest that is Summoner's Rift, and Twisted Treeline's been all but abandoned, so anything that involves actually playing the game sounds good to me.

Kedali

08-19-2011

I'm hardly pissed off. I already said that I hope I'm wrong and that I can enjoy dominion a lot. I was just musing over the idea that making fighting nonstop actually lowers the excitement and satisfaction values of it.

Whist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2011

luckily...SR isn't being deleted on dominion release.....

I understand your point, but I don't think it will be an issue as you can always go play some SR.

SLB Exxel

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatyus View Post
This. Riot is bringing in a whole new game mode and map and people are SITLL finding ways to *****.

Just wow.

8thtime

08-19-2011

Now we're QQing that dominion is too much fun?

wtf

fernsauce

08-19-2011

You could try playing a mix of SR and Dominion.

Also, maybe after they finish up with Dominion they'll fix Twisted Treeline and do the same kind of thing to make it actually competitive where more than 15 champions are viable.

Baconnaise

08-19-2011

I think it's udnerstandable given that some people don't care for ARAM games either. Suppose it's partly on how you view things and what your definition of fun is. I play other games and don't play LoL 24/7 which I can see if I did how it might grow stale or any game for that matter.