Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Mini Guide] Master Yi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Foct

09-11-2009

Intro:
In the time I've played LoL, I've generally regarded Master Yi as crap. Rightly so because I usually gank him. Rarely had I seen well-played Yi's and I generally felt humiliated if I was killed by one. I started playing him recently out of boredom and realized he's actually quite awesome, therefore needs a guide posted so people can stop sucking w/ him.
This quick and easy guide should help anyone needing tips on how to make Yi an effective pusher/ganker/laner/jungle.... really just an effective champion in general.

Masteries:
21/9/0

Note- he's spec'd for DPS b/c I'm lazy and prefer this sort of spec for my melee dps champions, you can change this according to your preference.

Spells:
Exhaust- I put the point into it in the offensive skilltree, it's awesome because it gives you a slow for ganking and a blind for fleeing.
Flash - Useful for ganking or fleeing. Honestly an underused spell IMO.

Runes:
Red: Armor Pen/Crit chance
Yellow: Dodge/cooldown/crit (I got lazy w/ yellow tbh, feel free to pick w/e you want for him)
Blue: Cooldown (tbh, not entirely necessary as his cooldowns are so small as it is + his ult recharges upon killing someone. Personally, i enjoy maximizing cooldowns so I kept blue w/ the lvl 18 cooldown runes)
Quintessence: Crit x 3

Items:
Meki pendant
Regrowth pendant/Philosopher's Stone
Berserker's Greaves
Zeal (or items leading up to it)
B.F Sword or Pickaxe (depending on the flow of the game and how fast your $ is coming in)
Phantom Dancer
Infinity Edge
----From here, the game should be close to over and the items come down to personal tastes---
Depending on your playstyle and your opponents, I'd recommend Blood Thirster (for beefy opponents) or Black Cleaver (for less beefy ones)

Ability purchase order (in terms of priority):
1-Alpha strike
2/3-Wuju Style
2/3- Highlander
4- Meditate

Note: At lvl 2 or 3, it may be useful to put 1 point in meditate depending on how your laning is going. It's far more useful than b'ing for hp or the regen pendant prior to philosopher's stone.

Gameplay:
Don't suck. =P
Basically, just lane using Alpha Strike to farm minions. Whether you're facing 1 or 2 opponents just determines your conservativeness in gameplay--you should be more than capable of at least holding the lane. Your ganking ability depends on your opponent and your skill, so I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

Hint: You're a glass cannon, so don't try to tank anything. However, you can rape groups pretty hard if playing effectively. Sniping Ancient Golem and Lizard are very very useful for Yi as a ganker.

Concluding Remarks:
I hope this guide helps future Master Yi's suck less. Tbh, I've been team MVP almost every time since I started playing Yi and using this build.

Bookston

09-11-2009

1. Like you said cooldown is not that useful because they're already pretty low and his ult. My personal favorite is to load clarities to make your alpha strike spammable and make sure you can pull off your buffs when you need them (Yi has a small mana pool). If you want to go with a less effective but more fun build, you can get an extra 6.12% crit damage or 2.52 crit chance out of blue runes. Yellow, I usually like vitality but you can get an extra 8.55% crit damage or 6.2 crit chance out of them as well.

2. Lifesteal is a huge tidechanger for Master Yi, it can make it so that you can still solo heroes with next to no life. It makes much more of a difference to have an emblem of valour than to have a philosopher's stone.

3. With exhaust, wuju style, offensive flashing, and some harassing, it's very easy to pull off a few kills before level 6. With full attack spec/crit&ap runes you can take almost a third of a heroes life in one hit. Thus, I think Wuju style should be prioritized and although Yi is a glass cannon, he can be played aggressively early on given a lane that's not too hard.

Foct

09-11-2009

w/ emblem > phil stone, I'd recommend jungling the golem for mana regen =]