[Guide] Pantheon - Splash Damage build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elboo

05-13-2010

I usually go boots+3 health pots at the start so i can harass better early game, then BF sword for more heartseeker action cause his auto-attack arent really usefull till I can afford Last Whisper, after that the game is over if you got a good early game. I also focus on getting Frozen Mallet cause Pantheon is really squishy when focused, this gives him extra 2 sec to gtfo. Your build doesnt have any "survival" items in it, its a good damage build but when going 1 on 1 against Warwick or Blitz for example he wont last long enough to use his abilities.

Pantheon is a very risky champ to play cause it all depends on his early game, if you are killed a few times in the beggining then its much harder to get anywhere with him as the late game approaches.

Reign28

05-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elboo View Post
I usually go boots+3 health pots at the start so i can harass better early game, then BF sword for more heartseeker action cause his auto-attack arent really usefull till I can afford Last Whisper, after that the game is over if you got a good early game. I also focus on getting Frozen Mallet cause Pantheon is really squishy when focused, this gives him extra 2 sec to gtfo. Your build doesnt have any "survival" items in it, its a good damage build but when going 1 on 1 against Warwick or Blitz for example he wont last long enough to use his abilities.

Pantheon is a very risky champ to play cause it all depends on his early game, if you are killed a few times in the beggining then its much harder to get anywhere with him as the late game approaches.

I agree whole heartedly. Everything depends on Pantheon's early game. Rushing a BF Sword means you'll need to have a flawless early game. If for some reason you have a bad start, than you'll never reach BF Sword and your chance at a good game is gone.

That is the whole reason behind my build. You don't have to "limp" through early game because you are saving for a BF Sword. The early Tiamat is mostly for the +42 damage. It acts as a mini-BF Sword plus it gives nice regen stats and is easier to build up. The splash damage doesn't become truely noticable until mid to late game action anyway.

Phage > Frozen Mallet is defintely a great item on Pantheon and most other fragile melee champs. If you need survivability, I would definitely go for it.

As for going 1v1 against Warwick or Blitzcrack, I wouldn't recommend doing that with any build on Pantheon. I've tried lots of builds with him and I always get beat 1v1 agaisnt a good Warwick. If you can't kill him with your initial burst dmg combo, he'll outlast you with his superior lifesteal. It's unfortunate, but my preference against WW is to just Cleanse the stun and Ghost away. Wait until you can catch him in a team battle.

But I agree, Pantheon is a risky champ to play. My goal is to reduce that risk and make him more consistent. I am still looking for an ideal survivability item for him. Something cheap and effective to throw in the item build if it is absolutely necessary. Until then I recommend to pick your battles carefully.

sser

05-13-2010

Pantheon is all about the burst, IMO. That means maximizing damage at the cheapest costs. A Tiamat ultimately runs counter to this, as it is expensive and its main attribute -- splash -- does not occur when using his combo. You could almost afford a Brutalizer and Sword of the Occult for the same price and get much, much better returns on your money.

(I'd like to add, though, that Tiamat can be a subtly good weapon on auto-attackers who do huge critical damage; such as Tryndamere, Master Yi, etc.)

Elboo

05-14-2010

Thing with the Frozen Mallet is that it allows you to survive those encounters with Warwick, he can do his ult on you, but when he's done you stun his ass, heartseeker and exhaust plus mallets slow and next time he wont be so confident to go 1 on 1. I always take ghost and exhaust with Pantheon, both can be used in off- and defense with good results.

Brutalizer isnt really worth it IMO, for 500 gold more you get much better "scare" effect against other champs. I'll try the tiamat build tonight, I'll let you know the results.

UnreadyCrab

05-14-2010

This build makes very little sense to me. As far as effect in a team fight goes, Unless you're stacking tank items around a tiamat you won't survive long enough in a toe to toe team fight to cause problems, once you've blown heartseeker.

As far as HP regen and MP regen go, I think it's just wasted gold. Skyfall allows Pantheon to bounce to and from the action, and the bonuses provided by Tiamat are incredibly small. If you've taken severe hits in a fight and burnt your entire mana reserve, those stats will not get you back in much faster, especially late game.

Cleanse and Ghost should be his summoner spells without exception for the exact reasons you stated. He should never have teleport, Skyfall is a teleport that lets you instantly gank a lane, use it.

Sword of the Occult
Ninja tabi/Mercury Treads
Brutaliser
Phage
Last Whisper
Frozen Mallet
Bloodthirster
Ghostblade <---- Only 2 games I've played have gone on long enough to get this, most finish just after or before mallet.

Reign28

05-14-2010

Sword of the Occult can either be a good investment or a bad investment. I've had plenty of successful games with it, even if only being able to maintain 5 stacks. I'm really looking for consistency with Pantheon though, which is the main reason I do no grab it often. Personally I would toss it in as a third or fourth item after I have a few solid items to help me get kills first.

The HP/MP regen from Tiamat is small but it allows Pantheon to maintain his lane early/mid game longer. And it seems to be just enough regen for his purposes, which are harassing/stunning and mitigating the enemy's harass. You can always recall for HP/mana then Skyfall back into your lane, but then Skyfall is on cooldown when it comes time for the team battle in another lane.

Nonakis

05-14-2010

Well i have played like 10 to 15 games with this build and i have to say that is AWESOME, i have something like 120 games with pantheon, i have tried rushing to bf swords, rushing to brutalizer, and every guide in leaguecraft and the guide and strategy section of this forum, im just saying thank you, great guide and keep the good work.

Elboo

05-15-2010

I played a bit with the build, he is a bit more longlasting in a lane, but I do miss the boots at the start. If I'm going for Tiamat early then the movement suffers even more cause of those 1k gold thats missing for boots.
But the damage is noticable and people run from you, too bad you cant catch up.
In the late game build is still viable and does alot of damage, but my games were a bit uneven, got 2 losses and 1 win, laning with Karthus that barely used his abilities, against Tristana and Warwick is a no win.

Now, Ive seen 3 different guides on Pantheon these days(including yours) and all of them rely(sp?) on a good game. If you're rolling with Pantheon, no matter which of these 3 builds you choose you will kick ass. Now the question is what do you do if you're having a tuff game, what is your build if you're laning against a guy who kicked your ass twice already and is 2 levels higher than you. No way youre getting close to e.g. Bloodthirster till its gg for the opposite side.
Do you still follow the build point after point or improvise?

UnreadyCrab

05-16-2010

I'm assuming my build was one of those.

For my build? yes, you stick to the game plan. I had a match the other day where I died twice before i even hit level 3 against a blitz and jax and came back to win the game with 14-3-12 stats.

Builds with BF swords are going to fall to pieces if you have a hiccup, and one's that don't concentrate solely on damage output are going to fall behind in offensive power. For my build the most expensive item you buy before the giant's belt for frozen mallet is a 1050 bow for last whisper, by that time you have 3 other items providing you with damage, utility and armor penetration.

People shy away from Sword of the Occult because they think if things start going wrong it's wasted gold. You only need 8 stacks on the sword for it to be as powerful as a BF sword, and that is not a difficult task for anyone, and it's 500 gold cheaper total.

Reign28

05-16-2010

The greatest build in the world won't protect you from a fail team.

One reason I use my build is for the cheap components that build up into useful items. I typically stick to the plan if I'm getting beat, I'll just switch lanes and pick my battles more carefully. Since Pantheon is so dependant on his offensive power to do well, throwing in a survivability item will hurt your damage output. If I really need some extra health I will typically throw in a Phage early on and make a frozen mallet later in the game. I always believe in adapting my playstyle to what type of opponents I face, but Pantheon's item dependancy makes that a little harder to do than most other champions.

As for boots, my first fountain trip back I always get standard boots first, then whatever Tiamat components I can afford (hopefully the whole thing). Standard boots plus Ghost should be enough to run anyone down if needed. Sending them back to the fountain is as good as a kill IMO.