Which came first: Removal of wards or lighting up the main circle?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arblis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-18-2011

I'm kinda curious which of the two Crystal Scar changes showed up first.
Did it take a while to go "actually, we shouldn't have wards here," or was it very very early in design?

What were the main reasons behind giving vision of the main circular pathway? Was it to help make Dominion a more "watchable" game mode, or perhaps to let players analyze quicker which node needs help the most? (creep pile incoming!) The latter would fit a lot with the "everything is faster" philosophy behind it, but I'm still curious which of your goals spawned the permanent vision idea.

Yay game design! :3

Archlord Mythos

08-18-2011

Stare at the minimap, it will tell all.

Because the capture points are broadcasted constantly, there's almost no point in hiding them from view (except to be cruel :P). The "lane" space (if you could call it that) between the spawn points is also very small, so no sense in hiding that.

The only thing worth hidden is the central area, and that is mostly brush anyway. Plus, with the fact that the big central buff can't be stolen by the other team, there really isn't a lot that is imperative to watch. Unless you're planning ganks (all champs should be mobile in this mode anyway), there's no point to having wards on the Crystal Scar.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-18-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I think ward removal came later, but we kinda always assumed they wouldn't be relevant, then someone used them and it undermined the experience, so we removed them.

Tlaon

08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
I think ward removal came later, but we kinda always assumed they wouldn't be relevant, then someone used them and it undermined the experience, so we removed them.
How is clairvoyance?

On a different topic, the new champion has the majority of my name.

uaite

08-19-2011

How does that affect Teemo? Just wondering.

TacoMental

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaite View Post
How does that affect Teemo? Just wondering.
This

Archlord Mythos

08-19-2011

Teemo, Shaco, Nidalee and Caitlyn all still have their ward-like abilities, they have not been changed.