@Riot, Will Carrying be Possible in Dominion?

First Riot Post
12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotKainan

Senior Member

08-18-2011

I enjoy League of Legends very much but the biggest downfall of the game is that it's balanced in such a way that a true carry does not exist. Players use the term, but one fed player cannot literally carry the rest of a struggle team as is possible in DotA. Because of this, which team wins can literally come down to "Who has the least amount of bad players?" Games are quite often ruined for good players as you can see by the number of complaints about Elo Hell and matchmaking in general.

I completely expect Dominion to be a game revolving around team work as it should, but in this game mode is it more possible for one or two extremely good players to carry a noobie...which is currently nearly impossible in Summoner's Rift? It would be a lot more enjoyable if this were possible.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fusionslicer

Member

08-18-2011

I would have to say no. Reason being that those one or two players can't be everywhere at once. This game mode revolves around capturing points. So essentially as long as your player helps the team and captures then it wouldn't matter.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotKainan

Senior Member

08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusionslicer View Post
I would have to say no. Reason being that those one or two players can't be everywhere at once. This game mode revolves around capturing points. So essentially as long as your player helps the team and captures then it wouldn't matter.
I was actually leaning with yes. The problem with carrying in Summoner's Rift is the game is balanced so that 5 competant players can shut down one fed carry if they smartly focus him. In this map, I don't think we'll see quite as many 5v5 team fights...so a fed carry may be able to successfully 1 v 2 and take over a point, while 2 not so great players work together to take down maybe 1 individual defending a control point.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fusionslicer

Member

08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin Prime View Post
I was actually leaning with yes. The problem with carrying in Summoner's Rift is the game is balanced so that 5 competant players can shut down one fed carry if they smartly focus him. In this map, I don't think we'll see quite as many 5v5 team fights...so a fed carry may be able to successfully 1 v 2 and take over a point, while 2 not so great players work together to take down maybe 1 individual defending a control point.
True, but that one fed carry can't be everywhere at once. So you have one or two keep them occupied defending while rest of team captures opposite turret.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hashinshin

Senior Member

08-18-2011

Carrying happens in LoL all the time. People just don't think theres a carry unless you can 1v5 the other team. I regularly own the top lane with garen and proceed to run around the map killing dragon, towers, shutting down mid solo, and just generally wrecking the game by being everywhere and more powerful.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NotKainan

Senior Member

08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
Carrying happens in LoL all the time. People just don't think theres a carry unless you can 1v5 the other team. I regularly own the top lane with garen and proceed to run around the map killing dragon, towers, shutting down mid solo, and just generally wrecking the game by being everywhere and more powerful.
The majority of the community would disagree with you and actually wants real carries in this game. Here's the on going thread about that:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post13067215

Carry means that you can win the game for your team using your skill as a player, even if they're losing. That just doesn't happen in LoL. You can do well in your lane, but when you have a bad jungler and top is feeding, it's game over.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FenixMonomer

Member

08-18-2011

I think you will be able to have carries in this game mode, at least in-so-much as the status of carries in sr. For example, imagine a zilean ap carry/support with ap/cdr speeding around the points, dropping bombs/promote then immediately running to another point to split push and being nidalee-esque on escapes. On the other hand, even if you can't do the above as far as the damage output, imagine zilean plus..say..a ranged carry like teemo. A roaming duo such as that moving at high speed even without the speed buff and quickly pushing/dps-ing can easily carry games..but I digress....

My point in this bit carried away post is you can carry, but your carry will need to be able to be mobile, clear waves/static defenses rapidly, and still do decent dmg in a fight..but that's my two cents.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-18-2011
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin Prime View Post
I enjoy League of Legends very much but the biggest downfall of the game is that it's balanced in such a way that a true carry does not exist. Players use the term, but one fed player cannot literally carry the rest of a struggle team as is possible in DotA. Because of this, which team wins can literally come down to "Who has the least amount of bad players?" Games are quite often ruined for good players as you can see by the number of complaints about Elo Hell and matchmaking in general.

I completely expect Dominion to be a game revolving around team work as it should, but in this game mode is it more possible for one or two extremely good players to carry a noobie...which is currently nearly impossible in Summoner's Rift? It would be a lot more enjoyable if this were possible.
It was the other day when I played Karthus. hah. I didn't carry my entire team, but I did well early, and got to the point where stopping me took 2-3 people, which was a critical advantage for our team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dance Dark

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-18-2011

Speaking of Karthus, can he take points while he's dead?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eldaris Shadusk

Senior Member

08-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin Prime View Post
I enjoy League of Legends very much but the biggest downfall of the game is that it's balanced in such a way that a true carry does not exist. Players use the term, but one fed player cannot literally carry the rest of a struggle team as is possible in DotA. Because of this, which team wins can literally come down to "Who has the least amount of bad players?" Games are quite often ruined for good players as you can see by the number of complaints about Elo Hell and matchmaking in general.

I completely expect Dominion to be a game revolving around team work as it should, but in this game mode is it more possible for one or two extremely good players to carry a noobie...which is currently nearly impossible in Summoner's Rift? It would be a lot more enjoyable if this were possible.
Teamwork required in a team game? What a terrible design.


12