Which Champion should I buy first?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kowals

05-12-2010

Sorry for highjacking your thread, seems you finally got a champion (grats on Ashe ), if it seems right to you, i might use it to ask my own question (seems pointless to me to start a new thread with the same question :P)

I started recently, at start of week 24, and after the tutorial, i went for the next recommended (and logical) step, the "bot practice". As i didn't have any idea on which hero to pick, i clicked on "random" and surprise, a wild articuno appeared! (ok ok, let's stick to Anivia from now on ^^) Played her, enjoyed her, and wanted to make her mine (we are still talking about Anivia, don't worry)

Now my question. I just got the amount of points needed to adquire Anivia (thats 6300), and been having fun with her,thanks to this forums and guides i've been killing a lot, been supporting a lot, been assisting a lot, and thanks to her egg, been dying less than the others :P

Should i DEFINETELY buy her? should i buy a "likewise" champion like Morgana (looks quite similar to me)? or should i wait another week to see if i find a champion that suits me better?

Already tried Ezreal (went fine, i love healing people and killing bad guys) and Annie (what a cute, lovely sinister girl ^^), but haven't tried a melee/tank yet (Yi, cho'gath or Mundo didn't convince me :P)

FishPasta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-12-2010

If you like Anivia, buy her. *shrug*. There's not much else to spend IP on until you hit Summoner level 20 (which is when you can buy Tier 3 runes) so just buy all the champions you like playing on their free week. Once you do get lvl 20, you'll find that you know which champions you like best, and can buy runes based on that.

Whyumai

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowals View Post
Should i DEFINETELY buy her? should i buy a "likewise" champion like Morgana (looks quite similar to me)? or should i wait another week to see if i find a champion that suits me better?
Anivia tends to show up on free week rotations roughly once every 4-5 or so weeks, I think (correct me if I'm wrong). Compared to the more popular characters like Ashe who tend to be free once every 2-3 or so weeks. This means that your less likely to have anyone else selecting Anivia and your less likely to get Anivia for free.

I'd say if you enjoy playing her and you have the IP then you should buy her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykah View Post
I'm at a loss as to who I should buy first, honestly. At this point in time, since I haven't been able to trial Ashe, I'm thinking Janna. Will she continue to be a good champ, assuming I use her well?
I know you have already bought Ashe, but i'm sure there are other people wondering the same thing. The first two character you should be aiming at are:
1) Ranged Character
2) Tank

The first character I'd buy is one of the cheaper ranged characters.

By cheaper I mean 450 IP - Ashe, Sivir, Yi, Nunu, Soraka, Kayle.

Suggestions
- Sivir (450)
- Ashe (450)

Reasons:
Both are
- fairly easy to play
- good farmers
- capable of solo mid
- cheap
- useful for your team
- Have skillshots for you to practice with.

The second character I'd recommend is a Tank of some sort.
Suggestions are
- Mundo (1350)
- Singed (1350)
- Nasus (1350)

Reasons
All three are
- fairly easy to play, although, they are harder to master then Sivir and Ashe.
- Average to good farmers
- still on the cheap side in comparison to some characters.
- can tank
- all melee!
- capable of initiating for your team (and therefore useful)

These two selections (regardless of what you choose) should allow you to fill a slot on any team with something useful. All these characters have relatively good farming skills as well, so, you shouldn't have too many problems playing these characters.

While farming the IP for these two selections make sure you play all the champions that come up on free rotations to find your 3rd champion, 4th champions, etc. Don't really worry about runes until late teens (in summoner levels) then you should probably think about saving IP for level 20-21, when you can buy level 3 tier runes). Lastly, if you do find a champion early that you really like, don't be afraid to buy it (even if it's before Ashe/Sivir)

Kowals

05-12-2010

Thanks a lot for both answers, just the info i needed. I'll definetely get Anivia then (i'm sure i won't regret it at all), since i enjoy playing her and as Whyumai said "i'm less likely to get Anivia for free, or get anyone else selecting Anivia".

I'll be saving IP from now on until i reach lvl 20, to buy all the runes i need (didn't find quite useful to buy grade1 runes atm)

idDobie

05-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykah View Post
I'm thinking I might main Janna. I've played a couple more games with her and, at the moment, I'm finding I can easily hold the middle lane against two other opponents. Gale makes running away/farming easy as hell too. Still getting the hang of when to use her ultimate, though I'll figure it out eventually.!
The best time to use her ultimate is to heal your team, say after your team just had a tussle with their team and you want to get right to pushing. While it works well as an escape tool, and if it will save you and your friend's ass give it a go, it shines as a big group heal.

Mistikman

Adjudicator

05-12-2010

Anivia is a solid champion, but definitely one of the hardest in the game to use well. If you stick with her, she can take you far, but being good with her can be an uphill battle.

Also, Morgana and Anivia have very little in common in their playstyle

Morgana is a support caster who tends to be very tanky. She specializes in locking people on the other team down and shielding allies.

Anivia is more of a fragile burst caster. Her primary role is doing a lot of damage to the other team while supporting with a wall and a stun.

Both are fun to play and both have high skill requirements to play well though, so they have that in common.

DarkSinz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-15-2011

Umm my story is bit different but kinda similar lol I've played Dota for like 3 years i still do well cuz of that yet i didnt have any hard time in LoL :P I've played with Vayne during champion rotation it worked really well for me even in my 2nd game :P I didn't unlocked any recommended champions yet except for Sivir :P Well i only got 3 heroes now :P Sivir , Twisted Fate and Xin Zhao and i really don't think any of them is hard Next unlocking target is Lee Sin and Vayne :P

azrij

10-15-2011

the first champion i bought was fiddlesticks, fell in love after using him during free not long ago, went from just 1 to 11 normal wins, 10 game winning streak, all him. that convinced me to buy him and i'm not regretting anything, what i'm saying is you should try champions during free and then buy 'em if they're gewd.

XSkyWaIker

12-23-2011

The first champion i ever got was Talon, mainly cuz he looked cool, but after i got him i realised that he was SUPER easy to use and i fell in love with using him, Talon is a high damage burst assassin,but the one down fall for Talon is that he is really item dependent so if you get a bad start it's kinda hard for you to catch up. i would highly recommend Talon

4llegorist

12-26-2011

you seem to like ap casters be more specific on the type of gameplay you prefer and people can help you narrow it down. As for janna, you can either build her straight ap or as a support.