Which Champion should I buy first?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sykah

05-11-2010

Howdy. I'm fairly new to the game, decided to download it since I can't play DotA online. My friend got me into the concept and I had fun attempting to take him down with me two headed purple dragon of awesomesauce AoE.

That aside, I was wondering which hero one would suggest I buy first? I was using Annie last week and doing reasonably well. Just now I tried a bot match with Janna and thoroughly enjoyed using her, though I've also heard good things about Ashe.

I'm at a loss as to who I should buy first, honestly. At this point in time, since I haven't been able to trial Ashe, I'm thinking Janna. Will she continue to be a good champ, assuming I use her well?

While I'm at it, what items would you suggest buying for Janna (seeing as I'll be using her to farm points this week)?

Thanks in advance for the help =)

Edit: Forgot to mention, I tried a quick search and didn't find a great deal. Would be much appreciated if you could link me to a thread with the info I need!

idDobie

05-11-2010

Janna is one of my favorite champions and she stays viable at all levels of play. Theres a few ways of playing her, personally I roll a combo of AP and CD reduction items and she is also a good carrier of aura items as she is hard to kill.

A good resource for guides and such on champions is the thread linked below from the guides and strategy forums.
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=68225

As to who you want to buy first, I'm not sure. My first champion purchase was fiddlesticks I think, but its just a matter of preference.

The Necron

05-11-2010

suggest if u want to learn someoneto play forever pick ashe or if u want to learnsomeone quick by soraka

Dracorya

05-11-2010

It comes down to your playstyle really. Do you like dealing lots of dps? Do you like to cause opponents to throw their keyboards out the window because you keep disrupting teamfights, saving teammates, or just being a generally supporting champ? Or perhaps you like to laugh in people's face as you soak up damage and disrupt everything.

From what I can tell, if you enjoyed Annie and Janna, casters may be a good start for you. Janna is an amazing support and can be a very reliable champion for her team if played well.

Ashe is extremely easy to pick up though. Just have to learn how to land her ultimate right.

Pandadan

05-11-2010

Try out any free champions you haven't fiddled with in a bot game or two and check out some guides; if you get a handle on 'em, try them in a non-bot practice game. Once you can survive contact with live players, jump into MM. If that isn't totally disastrous and you're still having fun, you should probably look into unlocking them!

Mistikman

Adjudicator

05-11-2010

Janna is very viable at all tiers of gameplay, but as support, you won't be carrying games all by yourself very often. She isn't a bad choice to main, since especially at lower tiers of gameplay, support is a role often neglected in a field of carrys.

If you want some very easy to use champions that are also viable all the way up the skill chain, Ashe is a great ranged carry and Annie is a great caster.

If you find you like support and want someone a little easier to use than Janna, Soraka is very good and very easy to use.

If you want to try out a tank, Shen is one of the strongest in the game right now, and not super difficult to use.

Badpath

05-11-2010

While LoL and DotA are not exactly the same, there are a lot of champions that bear more than a passing resemblance to heroes from DotA. Blitzcrank is a good example: he's kinda like Pudge, with the hook and an AoE blast. Tristana has the Sand King's minion-kill splash damage, Cho'Gath has Tiny's ability to grow bigger and tougher with his ult, and Axe's Culling Blow can be seen in both Cho'Gath's feast and more recently Garen's Damacian Justice.

It really all comes down to the type of heroes you like; I liked strength heroes from DotA, so I was drawn to folks like Jax, Mundo, Blitzcrank, etc. Consider what you like and find the champs that fit that; that's who you should buy.

Rezialn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-11-2010

I would start with Ashe. She costs 450 I believe, and she's viable to use at all levels of play. The cheap champions are suppose to be easier to play. Really, you should try playing each and every champion. You'll find that you naturally gravitate towards certain ones.

thundercraker

05-11-2010

For solo Q, you'll want tanks and carries.

Dont be fooled by Kayle's 450 price and recommended tag. She is very difficult to play right.

Ashe (other other 450) is your drow ranger with a skillshot arrow. Highly recommended for begginers as you practice with a skillshot with one of the largest effect radius. But its easy to get hooked on her because shes easy tow in with, so you might wanna watch out for that.

Janna is support - basically never appreciated in anything but mid/high elo games. She is a road to pain and frustration unless you have a team going on.

Also go Shen and leviathan. What was OP then is good now. Shen is a lot of IP, but hes definitely worth it. I have yet to buy him, but if my free week tryouts were any indication, hes a joy use.

Sivr is easy to play (450 IP - a steal). The point and click farming wonder. Get the Bloodrazor on her without fail (among other items) and you are set.

Better yet farm up and buy Nidalee. Imo the most enjoyable to play hero in LoL. Opinions are highly subjective though :P

Sykah

05-12-2010

Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up buying Ashe, for cheapness' sake, though I didn't have the best of times playing her. I could only seem to land her ultimate if I was lucky and the enemy champion didn't move, even at a close range (could be because I lag a bit).

I'm thinking I might main Janna. I've played a couple more games with her and, at the moment, I'm finding I can easily hold the middle lane against two other opponents. Gale makes running away/farming easy as hell too. Still getting the hang of when to use her ultimate, though I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks heaps everyone!