Phage is not a fun item (small tweak)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Albido

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2011

The intent behind Phage as an item is fairly straightforward: a solid, well rounded item for any AD, that allows them to keep their foes in range easier. The problem is that it falls short too often in this regard, due to the RNG in the proc.

Quote:
Phage
+225 Health
+18 Attack Damage
Passive 25% chance on hit to reduce your target's movement speed by 30% for 2.5 seconds.
Notice the passive. It is the only item in the game that has a %chance on hit*.This issues is compounded by the fact that the item's effect is often most felt in make or break situations.

I suggest that the passive be changed to:

Quote:
Passive: Your attacks slow enemy's movement speed by 15% for 1.5 seconds.
This way, the slow is more reliable, it feels great to just get Phage, and it keeps the upgrade to Frozen Mallet significant.

Thoughts?

*other than Razors or Wriggle's. But, those don't really count, because they're used only for PvE, where an individual proc won't make or break you like it will in a gank or teamfight.

crzymdscntst

08-16-2011

You'll most typically upgrade it eventually, when you do it'll be into Frozen Mallet if you're actually looking for that slow. (Trinity Blade has so many effects that it barely improves the slow.) Frozen Mallet guarantees that it will slow at a stronger amount.
It is also very likely that you'll only hit an enemy once if you're looking for that slow proc.

Though I must agree on the point that Phage does come off a bit too weak for it's pricing. I mean, it and Frozen Mallet I almost expect more AD or something, but with an item like Atma's they won't risk it.

clear world

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2011

Because it would be overpowered for a mid-tier item to guarantee slow. As long as you're faster than the enemy you're attempting to catch after the first hit, then there's nothing they can do to stop you from applying that slow without wasting a flash or ghost.

Instead of guarantee, make it proc every 4 hits instead. This way it gets rid of the randomness to make it more reliable and makes it impossible to upkeep without having very high attack speed would balance it out mid-game.