Laning in low elo. CS vs. champ kills. What is more effective?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farmville

08-16-2011

Laning in low elo is not the same as high elo. At all.

In high elo it's more passive, where really both sides are focusing on their CS/last hitting minions rather than getting champ kills or harassing a whole lot. (I know this from watching lots of high elo streams, and based on what everyone generally says)

In low elo, everyone just wants champ kills. That's it. This makes it hard to focus on CS when the enemy spends all their CDs/mana harassing and trying to kill you, and all you're doing is trying to CS with some harassment thrown in.

You simply cannot farm AND take all the harassment without getting killed. I've tried ignoring and just continuing to try and farm minions, but that doesn't seem to work well. So the other option is to go for champ kills. I personally find this easier to do, but my question is this: Which is more effective? (in low elo!)

In low elo, will I get more fed by killing champs or trying to CS?

BrotherCaine

08-16-2011

Detect who their Bads are, feed only on them. Don't waste time trying to wreck everyone.

Aim for CS.

Sunwise

08-16-2011

^
That. CS are effectively guaranteed to happen. Champ kills aren't. If you can pinpoint who's easy prey, go for it; if you can get in good harass to set up for a kill, go for it. But don't forsake minions for it, because there will always be something, some unknown element, that might turn a sure kill into a death, and then you're out both the CS and the potential gold from the kill.

If you see them coming in to harass, just make sure they know they're going to get hurt for it. Watch them, and go blow for blow, but try to make sure they're in the middle of the minions and you aren't, so they take more damage in the exchange than you do. Eventually you'll either convince them it's a bad idea to keep up this exclusive focus on harassing, or they're going to get low enough that you can kill them.

Farmville

08-16-2011

Okay, thanks for the answer.

I think next time I'll buy a regrowth and hp pot to start.. which will theoretically give me the chance to stay in lane forever if I play right, even with the harass.

Ichikaze

08-16-2011

Get good at last hiting,know how to last hit under tower without missing unless its impossible not to.

Squirrrtle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2011

This is why the picking phase is important. Generally, if you're a solo lane versus another solo, you should have no problem getting creep score, unless you made a bad mistake and picked a champion that the enemy team has a big counter to. But it seems like in your post you duo lane alot and not always with the right setup. The metagame right now involves a duo lane bot composed of a AD ranged carry + a support. With that I'm sure you can creep score with no problem, only thing is, I'm not sure if your low elo will be willing to even pick those champions. Of course, always look at the other team to see what two champs might be bot. Two really agressive champions could bring down a support + AD ranged, but rarely does it happen, considering they probably won't have any sustain themselves.

imnotbono

08-16-2011

Get intimately familiar with a few champions of different roles. Know how to last hit with each. Know how to harass with each. Know how to taunt the enemy into wasting and misfiring skillshots and high cd abilities. Your opportunity to harass will come in between their cds. Other than that, just focus on CS until the opponent makes a mistake.

ikkitousen o yea

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Recruiter

08-16-2011

aiming for CS's while going for harassment is the better way to dominate a lane than keep trying to kill the enemy when the chance of winning is not that high.

Etherimp

08-16-2011

What others have said is correct, but thought I'd look at it from a different perspective:

Sometimes, your lane enemy is pushing the lane so hard you have to auto-attack or use abilities just to keep the creeps from pushing the tower... Make sure you do that (keep them away from the tower), but also ensure you're getting as many last hits as possible.

If the enemy is chasing after you trying to kill you all of the time, that seems to indicate that they have to run past your minions or hide in a bush and jump out at you. Punish them for this and continue to farm. The only part of them trying to kill you and you continuing to farm that is negative is them ACTUALLY killing you. Just don't let them kill you. Carry potions. Recall before you get too low and when you're out of pots. Don't put yourself in positions where they're able to kill you. As long as you continue to farm more than they do, you will eventually have the gold to dominate them in lane.

I find it extremely amusing when between level 1 and 6 my lane opponent does nothing but try to harass me, just to have me deal just as much damage to them, followed by me drinking a potion, and them NOT, because they decided to go aggressive and buy a dorans item. I don't kill them, but they don't kill me either. Meanwhile, I'm saving up for a BF Sword or Catalyst the Protector with all of my CS. When I come back to lane I shut them down.

Just don't focus so heavily on last hitting that you are missing opportunities to harass or the necessity to get out of a sticky situation. Don't cling sooo tightly onto that CS score that you're willing to risk death for that one more last hit. It only takes about 12 last hits to equal 1 kill. That's 2 waves of minions, or ~300 gold.

While you're strafing back and forth waiting for minions to get within last-hit range, just look for opportunities to harass.. Wait for them to put themself in your range.. or step just within your own range and hit them once or twice then fall back. If they run, let them, and go back to last hitting. Keep this up and you will dominate the lane, or they will get frustrated and try to rush you.. When they do this, you kill them. Usually though they will call in for a gank, so just be cautious and never push past the river unless you have everything properly warded and you have teammates nearby.

kaminist

08-16-2011

harass while maintaining a steady cs.. not hard ffs stop writing a ****ing story. then when they overextend go all in