Full on guide for new players.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ForumX

05-11-2010

Welcome to the League Of Legends guide for new players.
Read, Enjoy and Learn.

So this guide is to help new players become much better and get a better understanding of how to play this game.

So, as a new player I would recommend starting of with some champions that are easy to use. If you go to shop at the top (Store) you can click on the info button of the champion and it will show how hard it is to use the champion and you can also check what they are good for. (Attack, Magic, Defense)
They also got tips there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Team formation.

A team should always consist a tank, a DPS and a mage.
Here are some team formations that work.

• 3 casters, 1 tank, 1 dps
  • 2 casters, 2 tanks, 1 dps
  • 2 casters, 1 tank, 2 dps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some easy to use champions are:
  • Ashe
  • Annie
  • Master Yi
  • Sivir
  • Alistar

Laning.

Laning is a big part of early game.
Top and bottom lane should consist of a range and a melee.
Mid lane has alot of champion choices, such as:
Ashe
Sivir
Fiddlesticks
There are loads more but I would recommend starting with the basic mid laners at the moment as a new player.

The roles of the champions are :

Tanks: A tank role is about initiating the teamfight and to tank towers when needed and the tank should take the agro.
Ask team mates if your not sure. E.g Alistar, Rammus, Amumu

Dps / Carry:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHINO Mk II View Post
Carry is a term that comes from DotA in which matches were decided by a single player dealing most of the late game damage and all the others trying to support him or keep the game going until the carry had enough items to dominate. Definitions vary, but generally a carry is someone who:
1) Deals heavy damage late game, often at the expense of a poor early game.
2) Increases their damage considerably through items and farming.
This is why carries are often given the solo middle lane. They are slightly more safe from gank attempts and they don't have to compete with a teammate for the lane experience and gold.

For gameplay mechanics related questions, take a look at this thread. Attack speed is hard capped at 2.5 attacks per second.
^ Thanks to RHINO Mk II

Mage: A Mage does burst damage in the teamfight nuking them all. E.g Annie, Ryze

Support: They just help the team-mates with healing, shielding etc.. E.g Zilean, Janna, Kayle

Here are some guides and builds for specific champions. Just click this link >>> http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ad.php?t=68225

Summoner abilities:

Revive: Revives you instantly when activated. It has a long cooldown and i don't really recommend you to take it. It doesn't come in use very much.

Exhaust: It slows your enemy down and blinds them making them miss all their attacks. This blind will not affect magic. All magic abilities will still hit you. Very useful vs melee DPS's. Its a good ability can comes in use pretty much alot of the time.

Ghost: Movement speed, it is great for chasing and escaping.

Smite: Damage to minions, its a good ability to use for jungling.

Teleport: Teleport to a minion or a tower on your side.
This summoner ability is great for going back to your lane fast and start farming again and also great for saving situations.

Heal: Heals nearby allies.

Cleanse: Removes debuff such as stuns, slows, Ignites etc..
Really useful, in most situations it helps alot. I recommend it.

Fortify: Makes turrets invulnerable protecting them for a few seconds. This is great for making your lanes last longer if your getting pushed. I would only recommend this summoner ability for tanks.

Clarity: Heals your mana and the allies around you, but you heal them half.
It's good for mages and keeps them laning for longer so they can harass more and farm better.

Clairvoyance: This skill reveals a area for a certain amount of seconds.
This skill can be used to scout areas to see where the opponent team might be or to see if they are doing Baron (Going to talk about this creep later)

Ignite:Damage over time and gives them healing Reduction. It's a very useful ability as a finish a kill off after you weaken the opponent.

Flash: Short range teleport as explained it teleports you for a short distance.
It helps you alot such as you can flash through a wall for escaping purposes and ganking purposes.

Rally: Powers you up. Its not a good ability and I don't recommend anyone to get it really.

Jungling.

Jungling is all about killing the creeps in it to level while leaving 1 lane to solo 2 champions, also backing up your lane when needed to.
Jungle contains 2 buffs.
Lizard and Golem.

1) Lizard (Red) gives you attack damage over time and slows your opponent down each hit.

2) Golem (Blue) gives you mp regen and cooldown reduction.

Example of a great jungler is Warwick because of his life drain which easily kills the creeps without losing too much health.

There is a golem and a lizard on your side of the map and another 2 on the opponent side of the map.

Runes.

Runes give some nice advantage to your beginning gameplay.
Runes consist of:

Seal - Defensive. This section is the best for defensive runes such as :
  • Max HP increase
  • HP Recovery
  • Increase in armor
  • Increase in magic resistance

Glyph - Magic. This section is best for magic runes such as:
  • Magic penertration
  • Increase in ability power
  • Increase in max MP

Mark - Offense. This section is the best for offense runes such as:
  • Armor penetration
  • Increase attack damage
  • Increase critical rate
  • Increase critical damage
  • Increase attack speed

Quintessence - All purposes. This section includes all offense, defense and magic. It also contains it's own types(?) such as:
  • Movement speed
  • Decrease ressurection time

Mastery Trees.

In the mastery tree you have 3 sections which gives you extra boost in stats,.

Offense Tree (Melee based)

Critical Strike Chance: +2%
Ability Power per Level: +0.60
Cooldown Reduction: -3%
Attack Speed: 4%
Magic Penetration: +15%
Armor Penetration: -6
Damage to Minions: +4
Attack Damage: +3, +5%
Critical Strike Damage: +10%
Magic Damage: +5%

Defensive Tree (Tank based)

Magic Resistance: +6
Armor: +6
Health Regeneration: +0.30% of Max Mana
Dodge: +2%
Physical Damage Reduction: +2
Minion Damage Reduction: +2
Damage Reduction: +5%
Health: +60

Utility Tree (Mage based)

Death Timer Reduction: -10%
Health Regeneration: +4%
Mana Regeneration: +4%, +1/sec
Experience Gain: +5%
Mana: +5%
Gold: +0.10/sec
Neutral Buff Duration: +30%
Movement Speed: +3%
Cool-down Reduction: -6%
Summoner Cool-down Reduction: -15%

Teamwork.
  • In a team fight always let the tank initiate the fight
  • Keep the mages and the range DPS at the back of the fight
  • Always aim for the DPS or the squishy (Low defense) champions in teamfights. Even if the tank is in front running to you. Always ignore the tank

(Going to add more)

Tips:
  • Don't stay too out from your tower at early game.
  • At the start of the game take care when entering the brush (The grass) on your side of the lane. The enemy champions could be there and kill you
  • If the opponent team have a stealth champion such as: Shaco, Evelynn or Twitch, stay back and play more safe because they can easily gank you
  • If they do have stealth champion buy a VISION ward at early game and then buy ORACLE elixer at late game. I would recommend a tank to get the oracle
  • Use VISION wards. They are very useful to stop ganks and to scout the enemy. It gives great map control
  • Against champions that requires skill shots like: Ezreal or Blitzcrank try to stay behind minions so they won't beable to shoot you or grab you also care for Blitzcrank as he can pull through walls
  • If playing teemo try to spread your shrooms out as well to get map control
  • Always try to last hit creeps to farm up more gold
  • Try to play aggressive, zone them out. Make them run back so they won't beable to get minion kills and make it hard for them to farm
  • SIGHT ward placements? You can have good map control by placing them in the river going towards top lane or bottom lanes to stop ganking, place them by Baron so you can see if they are doing Baron, place it by the Dragon for the same reason and in other grasses so you got an advantage to gank them first
  • If they got shaco don't be too aggressive. Most shaco always aim for first blood
  • ALWAYS play as a team. Even if your losing think of how your opponent team plays.Find ways to counter them and win
  • Don't hang around jungle alone if late game, because the thing is that you will get ganked
  • When on your lane alone trying to push the lane back don't go out too far if you lost your front tower because by the time your team says "b" you will get ganked and be dead
  • Communication as a very important thing in this game with pings, mias etc... Call mia as soon as possible otherwise if you call it after you don't see a person for a huge amount of time, by that time they would've ganked your team mate.. So call it early even if your wrong you can just say "re". Don't be afraid.

(Going to add more)

Another boss like creep is the dragon, he grants a global bonus of 130 Gold.
Try to kill him when he spawns when you have time.

Baron, This is a boss creep which gives you a big advantage with his buff after you kill him.
It doesn't appear untill 15mins. Its recommended that you should kill it late game when you got the chance, Baron is labeled as a red skull on the mini map (Bottom right).
The baron buff gives the following buffs:
  • 40 Ability power
  • 40 Damage
  • 3% Increase in health regeneration
  • 15 Increase in mana regeneration
  • 250 Gold
  • Experience points obviously =)

Here are some abbreviations which helps you alot.

Mia = Missing in action. This means that a opponent is missing so you say this to warn your allies that they could be coming to their lane for a gank.

oom = Out of mana.

b = Back. This indicates that your team should fall back meaning your opponent might come to gank/kill you. If your alone and your team mate says "b" it basically means you should just run back to your tower for safety.

care = care...

gg = Good game

bg = Bad game

gj = Good job

AP = Ability power

AD = Attack damage

Ult = Ultimate (R hotkey)

brb = Going to base to heal or shop

cd = Cooldown

omw = On my way E.g "Omw mid"
re = When you say mia and then she comes back to say "re" to inform your allies that she is back in your lane.

Word meanings.

AoE = Area of Effect. This is when a skill attacks more than 1 person.

Harass = To keep on using small burst of skills to back your enemy off making them going back to tower or to heal so you can farm much better.

CC = Crowd control such as: Stuns, Slow, Root, Silence etc..

Farming = When you kill minions to gain gold and EXP.

Push = To gather up a creep wave and attempt to destroy an enemy tower.

Feeding = When you're dying over and over again to give opponent gold and exp giving your team in a disadvantage. (Do not do this....It's a bad thing.)

backdoor= To attack the enemies towers and base without the cover of your minions.

Skill shot = An ability that fires a projectile which can be dodged. E.g Ashe's ulti arrow or Ezreal mystic shot.

Last hitting = Getting the last hit off a minions or the finishing blow.

Gank = When you team up with your allies to kill a target.

Brush = The grass.

Nuke = Any ability that does a substantial amount of damage in a single go

Kill steal = Kill steal, to last hit something an enemy that you may not have actually helped to slay.

Buff = When you have temporary increase in stat(s).

If you got any questions you want to ask me, feel free to ask. I will try my best to answer.
or
If you got anything to tell me about this I will read and change =)

+1 If it helped.

I haven't finished yet so I'll update this more later.
I might also add screenshots.

Adobe Photoshop

05-11-2010

Well, guides for new players are always good, but i dont really think they need to know is Poppy a mage, or melee nuker. They just dont need it now. Just tell them about few champs, how to start, what to buy, about teamwork. Just give em a start boost, not zipped knowledge of the Earth.

ForumX

05-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe Photoshop View Post
Well, guides for new players are always good, but i dont really think they need to know is Poppy a mage, or melee nuker. They just dont need it now. Just tell them about few champs, how to start, what to buy, about teamwork. Just give em a start boost, not zipped knowledge of the Earth.
Poppy is mainly a dps.
Its a full on guide. It helps new players become better players.
I'm not saying read this once and you will be amazingly pro.
Take it time by time scan it. Read parts which helps you with your problems.
This guide is about how to play better and the roles and how to play and tips.

Carados

05-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumX View Post
Poppy is mainly a dps.
Why is poppy a "DPS" when she shares the same role as Ryze, who is a "Mage/Support?"

ForumX

05-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by carados View Post
why is poppy a "dps" when she shares the same role as ryze, who is a "mage/support?"
poppy isn't a mage.......
wtf is wrong with you

Carados

05-11-2010

Quote:
poppy isn't a mage.......
wtf is wrong with you
What is the role of a mage?

Poppy's job in team fighs? To go into a team fight, choose the highest priority target, CC them, and nuke them down quickly.
Ryze's job in team fights? To go into a team fight, choose the highest priority target, CC them, and nuke them down quickly.

Ryze's job mid-game? Wander the map, setting up ganks on their carries.
Poppy's job mid-game? Wander the map, setting up ganks on their carries.

You're assigning them roles based on character concept and not gameplay mechanics. That's a great way to confuse new players.

Dracorya

05-11-2010

You can't label all champions under one role, some can serve more then one.

For example, you forgot him but Taric can function as both a support and tank. He also has decent initiation ability.

ForumX

05-11-2010

Its not me confusing them.
Its you confusing them

Carados

05-11-2010

Quote:
Its not me confusing them.
Its you confusing them
You're labeling them based on if they auto attack with a weapon animation or if they auto attack with a spell animation.

This is a completely useful distinction.

Adobe Photoshop

05-11-2010

See? How can you make a guide if you can't solve such an easy problem.

SIC! Champions can play diff roles!

SIC! They are already tagged in game to help you!

When I was level 5 I didnt care even about poppy's gender, not saying about is she a healer or ranged kickasser. 'Cause I played another char. And I wanted tips on that char.

Way 1: create noob guide on EVERY char.

Way 2: create noob guides on recommended chars and recommend em to noobs.

I hope you understood me, 'cause my english is ernglish.