Sustain Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Isysar

08-15-2011

Shurelia,

I've thought some more about these Sona changes. When I play support, I play Sona. Pentakill Sona. I've really enjoyed this champion. I've thought for a good ten minutes on this changes before posting.

At first, the activation increasing the MR/Armor of Sona and the heal target sounded like a good change. But as others have mentioned, this doesn't work as intended. W targets the lowest HP hero around. Waiting until someone is almost dead (or retreating from the fight anyways) to buff their Armor/MR is lackluster. You can't prep an initiator to be tankier with this either. This proposed buff does not accomplish anything useful.

Furthermore, why the nerf to W in the first place? While I agree that a nerf on the sustain ability of supports is needed, it costs Sona a heavy, heavy amount of mana to do so early game. Against an aggressive lane, she will basically be OOM constantly trying to keep up.

However, if Sona is in a lane that is NOT being aggressive, and you can conserve mana, W then becomes a problem. And when late game rolls around and Sona gets some AP/mana/mana regen, the sustain she can offer to a push is really strong. This kind of sustain I do think needs a nerf.

The biggest problem you have with Sona in my opinion is that her W as a heal is really hard to balance. Looking at these proposed numbers, the heal is so incredibly small. It's ratio's are bad as well. I understand this because it's a spammy spell and heals 2 people, but I think under your proposed change it wouldn't feel good to use at all. It's innately SUPPOSED to be a spammy sustain heal. And those if those are bad for the game, maybe it needs to go. Make it do something else on activation. Have it given a big MR/Armor buff to everyone around her for a few seconds, or something.

As I've thought about it, changing to change or take this off of Sona is going to be really difficult to get right. Her W was innately and purposefully created as a spammy Sustain spell. I really don't know how to salvage it. Your proposed changes just make it seem. . . really weak and not worth using.

OpticalShadow

08-15-2011

why do you want to change the support game? you want them to farm, but nobody wants the person who cant contribute as much as the carry to farm.

your trying to nerf their promary function, support, and boost other areas, it makes them not even worth picking. just leave it alone.

Vishibus

08-15-2011

You know, I would like this more if Astral Blessing's mana cost were lowered to go with the infuse mana nerf.

Doriantv

08-15-2011

**** yeah, Soraka is gonna be worthless soon!

Seriously, I pick Soraka for a healbot. If these changes go through, why the hell wouldn't I pick Alistar or Taric instead?

Lumovanis

08-15-2011

From sustain back to tanky dps stun spam I guess

Postal Miku

08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isysar View Post
Shurelia,

I've thought some more about these Sona changes. When I play support, I play Sona. Pentakill Sona. I've really enjoyed this champion. I've thought for a good ten minutes on this changes before posting.

At first, the activation increasing the MR/Armor of Sona and the heal target sounded like a good change. But as others have mentioned, this doesn't work as intended. W targets the lowest HP hero around. Waiting until someone is almost dead (or retreating from the fight anyways) to buff their Armor/MR is lackluster. You can't prep an initiator to be tankier with this either. This proposed buff does not accomplish anything useful.

Furthermore, why the nerf to W in the first place? While I agree that a nerf on the sustain ability of supports is needed, it costs Sona a heavy, heavy amount of mana to do so early game. Against an aggressive lane, she will basically be OOM constantly trying to keep up.

However, if Sona is in a lane that is NOT being aggressive, and you can conserve mana, W then becomes a problem. And when late game rolls around and Sona gets some AP/mana/mana regen, the sustain she can offer to a push is really strong. This kind of sustain I do think needs a nerf.

The biggest problem you have with Sona in my opinion is that her W as a heal is really hard to balance. Looking at these proposed numbers, the heal is so incredibly small. It's ratio's are bad as well. I understand this because it's a spammy spell and heals 2 people, but I think under your proposed change it wouldn't feel good to use at all. It's innately SUPPOSED to be a spammy sustain heal. And those if those are bad for the game, maybe it needs to go. Make it do something else on activation. Have it given a big MR/Armor buff to everyone around her for a few seconds, or something.

As I've thought about it, changing to change or take this off of Sona is going to be really difficult to get right. Her W was innately and purposefully created as a spammy Sustain spell. I really don't know how to salvage it. Your proposed changes just make it seem. . . really weak and not worth using.
You dont salvage it

You make a new spell, i dont see why Riot dont just do this for her, give her a kind of AOE shield what gets better with more AP, also make it so while the shield is up, then her W aura doubles

These is absolutly no reason to have a heal what heals for 25, utterly useless and a joke, NO ONE WILL USE THIS

Postal Miku

08-15-2011

You may as well make it that on Sonas Q activation she gets double her AD on her Q aura or something so then i can use that SHEEN, either that or make it so her Q reduces armor/magic resistance on hit

you cant just flat out nerf and call a bugfix a "buff"

Letkhar

08-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurelia View Post
Hello Community!

In the spirit of sharing information...
*Post gets downvoted into oblivion*

ProfCattington

08-15-2011

Laning phase blows because summoner's rift is too big and the consequences for getting killed are too severe.

Make a couple smaller 5v5 maps, revise the rules for summoner's rift and stop pushing this 3lane bull**** on the 99.9% of your alleged 15 million players who don't give a **** about eSport play.

StreatzDaKilla

08-15-2011

Back to the roaming meta!