Turning the game around. Supporting and Jungling.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AkumaLuck

03-11-2014

Just wondering, and this is a question for those Jungle and Support mains, but is there something I'm missing to making Jungling/Supporting a more rewarding role? I by no means hate to play either role, but I don't really get the same enjoyment out of the game. Anything I do feels like it has no weight to it. I get some satisfaction from helping get ganks, but the main issue I face is the knowledge that there isn't much I can do to change the game around. Maybe it's the champs I'm playing, maybe it's how I'm playing them, but I just don't feel like I can help turn the game around for my team. I'm stuck relying on others to do it for me, and even if I do help a teammate get fed, it becomes "(Blank) carried us so hard!". I guess I'm asking, how do you guys deal with the low amounts of appreciation these roles get, and feel good while playing them like other roles?

BestKatmidNA

03-11-2014

your saying you feel like the teams ***** while playing these roles but heres the thing your adc is NOTHING without you you basically BABY SIT THEM for 15 minutes of the game as a support. Aside with junglers if your a good jungler your team should be praising you cause early game junglers are the make it or break it for a winning game you can win someones lane on the sole fact your a jungler. I should also note most junglers protect the carry's in fights late game so yea i feel like a guardian to adc and mid laners i feel pretty damn good about doing Jungle and support

AkumaLuck

03-11-2014

I'm not saying I feel like the team is bad. I'm saying that sometimes is feels like it's impossible to help them turn it around, especially as a Jungler, as I've noticed that going to one lane, makes another lane vulnerable, and then they complain, so I go to their lane to help and another lane starts complaining. I end up trying to help them all, and then lose momentum because I'm stuck running around, getting nothing in terms of gold.

BestKatmidNA

03-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkumaLuck View Post
I'm not saying I feel like the team is bad. I'm saying that sometimes is feels like it's impossible to help them turn it around, especially as a Jungler, as I've noticed that going to one lane, makes another lane vulnerable, and then they complain, so I go to their lane to help and another lane starts complaining. I end up trying to help them all, and then lose momentum because I'm stuck running around, getting nothing in terms of gold.
heres a very helpful tip then depending on how scweared your laner is DONT HELP A LOSING LANE if there SUPER MESSED OVER and cant even lock down kills with u then tell them to play safe and try to farm up and help the lane that will do something later. On a side note when i jungle i generally focus mid and bot lane too be honest with you top lane is basically a survival lane and should need 0 jungle pressure most games if your top is doing its job right

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-11-2014

Well, for me, I'm much better at playing jungle and support then I am at the other three roles, and being good at something goes a long way towards enjoying it, so there's that. My top lane is rough at the beginning, but the type of champions that go top work well with my playstyle and usually see me through to lategame. My mid and adc, however, are atrocious, and I particularly dislike playing them because I have to be carried. The best impact I can have is a neutral one, by not feeding and not throwing, but I never actually positively impact the game - and maybe that's how you feel with jungle and support.

In that case, simply playing more of them may help - or it may not. I don't know how much I'd gain by trying to main my worst roles in the hopes of improving them - I think there's just a difference in playstyle(I much prefer tanks that go all in, rather then squishies that have to carefully position around the outskirts of a fight), and the poor performances and decrease in overall match quality due to MMR loss would take a toll.

However, if you're just having trouble feeling like you're carrying from those roles, look at it this way: Support does the majority of the vision control and denial for a team, and that's a huge factor in the outcome of a game. As support you also lane with your team's biggest lategame carry, and ensure he has a smooth laning phase, as well as against the same for your opponent. Jungle is almost entirely responsible for neutral objective control(personally, I pride myself on my dragon control, and make a point of setting it up, warding it, keeping the timer, communicating about it to my team, and even stealing it if necessary and possible), and that's also huge - both of those are just as important to the overall success of your team as your ADC's waveclear and sieging ability, or your assassin taking out the enemy carries. Everyone has a job(or several) to do that's crucial for the success of their team, and jungle and support are no different.

without grace

03-12-2014

If you're not having fun supporting you're not doing it right.

Jkjk
But in all seriousness. Just based on job description, you're going to get very little appreciation. The thing you need to understand is that you most likely won't be getting kills. That means you won't have the announcements yelling TRIPLE KILL QUADRA PENTA PENTA PENTA

Support isn't very difficult mechanically, but you need to have more of an overall impact. It's a mindset thing. Everyone ooohs and ahhs over the 8-2 Cait but no one realizes that it was the 1-3-20 Sona landing all those perfect flash crescendos that got her the kills in the first place.

As support, you have one job and one job only: win the damn game. You have utility to help ease your team's crippling mistake, and you're the one making clutch plays and turning bad fights around. Granted, you're reliant on the rest of your team to hit their buttons and murder whoever you pointed out, and to take objectives because you have no damage and probably suicided to protect a priority target, and I agree that it gets frustrating sometimes. But it's the risk you have to take.

You know that one enemy support? The one who keeps cockblocking kills and helping people get away with 50hp? You know, you're about to FINALLY shut down their incredibly fed med, but then they show up and the entire team gets locked down and 100hp Kat picks up a penta? That's what you want to be.

Left for Zed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-12-2014

My last 6 games have all been Support/Jungle I find that they have the largest early game impact vs any other role 4/6 of those games I did my job so well they surrendered at 20min

Anvar

03-12-2014

Hi, Akuma - enjoyed playing with you in-game.

I hear you about how hard it is to turn things around as jung or supp. I don't have any more experience in the game than you do, but I've been thinking about this, too.

I just played three games with a great Taric supp for my ADC (hats off to RamuelII for good play). In one, he secured our win after a bad start. When we stood at a tower waiting for Zac to tank ('Zac, tank it.' 'Zac?' 'Zac, u there?'), Taric stepped in. When Amu stayed farming wraiths, Taric made it possible to grab an early dragon. He stayed positive and directed the team in a couple key moves, including one after a big gank: half the team wanted to Baron but Taric encouraged a winning push.

I don't know the answer to the question 'how do I carry as supp or jung?', and it isn't 'play Taric.' But I'd guess that three things help:

• Pick a champ that can step up as needed
I don't mean 'play Taric,' but rather, 'play the champ your team needs.' Kha is solid, for instance, but if your whole team is squishy, it may be better to go with a tanky jungler.

• Remember that the little things matter
No one ever says 'great ward!' I've never even had anyone thank me for popping the Talisman speed boost, even when it's saved our whole team. Sometimes people thank a jungler for holding a lane or saving a tower, but I've also had teammates yell at me to 'gtfo' while they're still at base.

Those standard supporting steps add up. Know that you've done right, even if no one praises it.

And finally,
  • Stay positive
It often helps and never hurts, the exact opposite of the insults traded by so many teammates. Supps and Junglers get bashed a lot (you died? must be the supp's fault! Your CS is low? Blame the jungler!), so it takes a particularly determined player to stay positive even in tough times.

Do it. You'll make the game a little better, and sometimes, you'll even secure the win.

Sereg Anfaug

03-12-2014

One more thing about jungle and support - since you don't have to focus on last hits(save rare occurrences when you're holding a lane alone), you have much more concentration to spare for map awareness. Use this to look for enemy wards and track the enemy jungle. You're also in the best position to be a shot caller for your team - in LCS, the large majority of team shotcallers are junglers or supports.

Now, if you are a much better multitasker then I am, perhaps you already have solid map awareness even while farming. I have a narrow tunnel focused on the subgroup of minions I'm waiting to lasthit, but so much the better for you if you don't =P

If you're already good at tracking the map, maybe you can spare even more concentration and start tracking important cooldowns as well as neutral objectives. Knowing those is critical to making good calls about fighting.

LuckyElevenGuy

03-12-2014

I recommend a support Annie, Tibbers stunlocking an entire team while you team just walks through them all gets you the appreciation you deserve. Plus you can actually dish out some damage. I'll admit tho pre - 6 support is super boring.. warding and hanging on to your CC to protect the ADC isn't that exciting.

Also jungling is probably the most fun position in the game, also probably the hardest. The hard thing to get used to with jungle is map awareness and constantly watching other lanes and keeping track of timers and keeping track of your teams cs. I noticed someone said don't help a losing lane, always defend the turret of a losing lane but don't over extend for ganks. Then snowball the winning lane or pick on a lane that you know can give you kills or assists and Dragon, buffs and neutral monsters in the mean time.