Thoughts on tweaking Mundo

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gimpb

09-10-2009

I'm going to make one key assumption about the design intentions of this character: he's intended to be a fighter that kills people and not a tank. I think this because even though he has several survivability increasing abilities, he doesn't have the utility/CC capabilities to actually function as a tank and he has multiple attack damage increasing abilities.

If one were looking for a dota analogy, huskar would be his closest of kin as I see it--a tough to kill semi-carry focussing on auto attack damage with minimal disables, greater effectiveness with lower life, strong regeneration, the ability to take a percentage of the target's health, and abilities that use life as a resource. Please don't assume I'm saying he should be Huskar, I'm not, I'm just going to use it as an example of why one works and one doesn't.

So that being the case, this is what I see as the bottom line problem: he's just not dangerous. So instead of being a hard to kill semi-carry, he's really just a hard to kill distraction. A few things lead to that:
1. He has a hard time applying his damage. He has a long cooldown speed boost and a very short and somewhat challenging to land slow to help him and that's it. This model works for Yi because Yi has staggering damage and a teleport; Mundo's damage is considerable but not all that impressive. From the previous huskar example, huskar does not have trouble applying his damage because he's ranged, his slow is more effective, and his %hp attack is bigger.
2. Q and W are underwhelming abilities and his other two are just ok--not great. The cleaver could be easily fixed into a great ability with one of several tweaks, the W would need more work.

So what seems to need to be done is Q and W need to be tweaked/reworked so that they help him apply his damage. Note that I do not think upping their damage will yield the proper results--I see the damage of these abilities as being a third leg of sorts that really isn't relevant to the issue.

Here's one way that could be done:
1. Nerf the cleaver's damage and remove the slow from the base ability but make it penetrate through targets as it affects them like twitch's ult or anivia's Q. Keep enough damage that it can still be used to last hit from range but decrease the minimum damage enough that it takes several cleavers to bring down a wave of creeps. Perhaps it could hit for 50% damage after the first target.
2. Scrap W and replace it with an ability that passively adds a slow to his cleaver and his auto attack.

End result: he still lanes well, can better apply his ranged slow, and once he gets in range the target has a hard time getting away from him. The cleaver now functions as his aoe farm tool. In team fights even if he's being disabled/slowed heavily and can't get in range, he can at least return the favor to the opposing team.

The other option is to take him in a different direction. For example, that of a skirmisher like ashe. A considerable increase to the range of the cleaver could do this. To make him stronger in team fights with this style one might change W to cost and deal damage equal to a percentage of his health all at once and not over time. That way when you get a good opportunity you could deal strong aoe damage and wouldn't be trying to stay next to someone--there's just too much CC in the game for that to work.

shedim

09-11-2009

I think he's the worst hero in this game. Also making him deal more damage if damaged himself does just not work for a melee without any disable at all. Also without any attackspeed increase, even Masochism is just a failure. It either lasts 2-3 hits or you don't reach your target at all, due to Mundo's pathetic movement speed and the terrible pathing, since he's a rather big champion.

He might actually work as a ranged, but currently a melee based around having low hp without a proper snare, disable, heal and crowd control immunity just does not work and will never work in this game. Mundo sometimes works 1on1 against soft targets without bigger cc, but in pro gamer teamfights, Mundo is utterly useless and his low hp playstyle is just not viable without temporary cc immunity.

Suggestions:

I'd like the cleaver to get a stun effect. The more damaged the target is, the longer will the stun last. Cleaver should still be a aim shot, but go through creeps (damage them) and stun only champions.

Burning agony should have an aoe snare, damage increase (or should steal armor+spellresist) and it's range increased and drain less health to be viable in teamfights. Nobody uses the active part because it sucks so hardcore and just does not fit to this character.

Masochism should boost attackspeed as well. Yeah, the more health you lost, the faster you attack.

Sadism should additionally grant cc invulnerability for the duration and break them, when activated.

With these tweaks, I'm convnced a low hp melee might actually work.

Aknar

09-11-2009

yeah the main problem with the infected cleaver is that it is intreupted by creeps,i should be something like venomancer's venomous gale from dota or should be able to be throwable to a target like ryze's rune prison

(btw sry for my bad english I'm RO)

shedim

09-11-2009

Romanian?