The Best Way To Balance Champions With Overloaded Kits

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2014

In my humble opinion, the best way to balance champions with overloaded kits such as Nidalee, Lee Sin, Orianna, Yasuo, Lulu, Elise, Jinx, and several other suspects is to take out something from their kit. If we take Nidalee as an example, she is currently dominating top lane bruisers simply because her cougar form takedown currently allows lifesteal to proc off of its bonus magic damage. If this ability is removed, it will decrease her overall sustain in lane and give the more traditional top laners the ability to compete against her.

If we take Lee Sin for Example, He does very well at a lot of things whether it is damage prevention, assasinating, repositioning, aoe cc, enemy movement displacement, sustain, and low resource management. A lot of these threads that cry for Lee sin nerfs dance around the fact that there is an incredibly easy way to allow counter play against him. Remove his ability to Safeguard Wards. Before you say #LCS #BIGPLAYS and all that jazz, Lee Sin's biggest problem in dealing with him is how slippery he is, even when alone away from any allies. Why should we reward him or split pushing out alone? The idea is to punish someone that is out of position. Well, as long as he has a ward on him, he can easily jump across walls without minions to W or Q to. Removing his ability to safeguard to wards, will open up additional viable teamcomps with him, namely those that generate pets. It puts greater emphasis on good positioning and teamwork rather than rewarding solo play, which just isn't League of Legend's gameplay style. Making Lee Sin less slippery will allow greater counterplay for the other team to react and chase him down. It will force Lee Sin players to depend on their team and to make meaningful sacrifices when making a decision to all in on that Dragon or Baron for that steal. Or perhaps to go all in on that gank under turret for that squishy <15 % HP Marksman.

For my last example in this first post, let us look at Yasuo. While he does not have Lee Sin's problem off being too slippery, he has extreme offfensive and defensive capabilities with a shield that regenerates very fast and blocks decent amounts of damage, and a windwall that costs him nothing except for the cooldown timer. I have seen some good suggestions such as removing the armor penetration on his ultimate or replacing the armor penetration with a refresh on his shield. But suggestions like this doesn't get to the core of the problem. Like Lee Sin, he does not have any meaningful sacrifices to the use of his abilities. All it would take Lee sin to regenerate enough energy for his next move are 2 auto attacks after each activation of an ability. Yasuo has no resources to manage other than his shield uptime. Using Windwall costs him nothing. What if the Strength of Windwall is dependant on his passive shield? What if Windwall consumes Yasuo's Shield for greater width and existance? What if Windwall prevents Yasuo from generating any shield energy while it is active? Now using Windwall has a very tangible cost to him for the benefit of the team.

I have more ideas to balance champions with overloaded kits without breaking what they are. But I am tired. Please take these three ideas seriously. I think they are fair given what each of these champions excel at.

Best Ryze Japan

07-14-2014

Guess who didn't read that

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2014

Then Clearly Reading thoroughly explained ideas isn't your thing.

iFoxy

Arizel

07-15-2014

yea, I aint clicking that link hun.

Kayote

07-15-2014

you forgot Riven in your list.

IIllIlIIl

07-15-2014

For those who didn't read, he said:

Nerf Nidalee, Lee Sin, Orianna, Yasuo, Lulu, Elise and Jinx because their kits are too strong.

How do you nerf?

Remove abilities that make them strong.

Remove nidalees Life Steal proc on her cougar take down.
Remove lee sins ward hop because he is allowed to be too "slippery" and he shouldn't be rewarded.
Remove yasuos armor pen on his ultimate or make his windwall cost part of yasuos sheild, or not allow yasuos sheild to regen when windwall is up.

He says he has more ideas but he's too tired.

Umbra Gemini

07-15-2014

tl;dr

Voidgolem

07-15-2014

why the hell are yasuo and jinx on your list.

ViolentDuck

07-15-2014

Orianna isn't broken, I will admit she is very strong in the meta but, not broken.