[GUIDE] AD Ezreal: The Idle Sniper

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chorus

05-09-2010

Welcome. Since there's a lot of debate, I'm here to help provide my experience as AD Ezreal.

Why Attack Damage (AD)?

AD Ezreal is insane 1vs1, being one of the fastest and hardest hitting champs in the game. His auto-attack is difficult to see in a lane and people who aren't paying attention can easily die to it. While Ability Power Ezreal can heal and do some great bursting with his skills, AD Ezreal farms faster, takes down towers like mad, and still buffs/heals allies.

All of Ezreal's abilities are Skill Shots, meaning they have to be aimed.

That being said, AD Ezreal is extremely fragile. Being focused will almost always get you killed, much like any other carry. AD Ezreal is for those who want fast and aggressive combat or those who want to lie in wait and destroy any hapless fool that wanders by.

Ezreal's Abilities are as follows:

Rising Spell Force - Ezreal's passive. Gives him 15% attack speed each time an ability lands, up to a stack of 5. Your main damage for farming and annihilating towers.

Mystic Shot (Q) - Mystic Shot deals all of your attack damage plus a bonus up to 140 damage at max leve as physical damagel. Each rank increases it's mana cost by 5, but lowers the cooldown. When Mystic Shot lands, it reduces all of your cooldowns (including Mystic Shots) by 1 second. This is the bread and butter ability of AD Ezreal. This shot hit's minions.

Essence Flux (W) - Fires out a small wave that travels through minions and can damage enemy champions for up to 245 Damage (+0.6 Per AP point) and slow their attack speed up to 40% for five seconds. For Ally champions, it does the opposite; healing and buffing their attack speed. This ability is great for helping teams push towers and saving team mates at crucial moments, but costs a lot of mana and is easily dodged by enemy champions. It has no limit of how many targets it can hit, however the range is short.

Arcane Shift (E) - Blink's Ezreal a short distance and fires out a homing shot that deals up to 280 (+0.75 Per AP point) Damage to either the nearest minion or champion. Higher levels decrease the cooldown, and since this ability is so important to surviving and engaging, it's important to rank it up quickly.

Trueshot Barrage (R) - Ezreal's ultimate, having a short channel time and fires a wave across the map, dealing up to 650 Damage (+1 Per AP Point) and reducing it's damage by 8% for each unit it passes through (Minimum of 30%). Each time it hits a target, this will give you 1 Stack of your passive, making it the fastest way of getting a free 75% attack speed bonus.

Before the Battle: Masteries

There are many different ways of playing AD Ezreal. He's a fairly squishable champion, yet the thing he does best is killing them before they kill you (or your ally).

The typical setup is 21/0/9 for the damage and mana regen, however stacking dodge with Nimbleness in a 21/9/0 is also effective.

It is possible to go 9/0/21 for the increased CD reduction and utility for survival, however you may find your early game damage far too weak.

I'll focus on a typical 21/0/9 Build for this guide.

Offensive
*Optional in my opinion
3/3 Deadliness - Offensive to supplement Ezreals great critical rate.

*1/1 Cripple - Ezreal does great with Exhaust. If you use it, grab this.
*1/3 Archmages Savvy - If you're not using Exhaust, put a point to into this.

4/4 Sorcery - Cooldown reduction really helps Ezreal in small doses.
*2/4 Alacrity - If you aren't concerned with minion farming, grab this instead.

1/1 Archiac Knowledge - A lot of your damage comes from spells, and this helps early on.
3/3 Sunder - Armor Penetration is the bane of the people you focus on killing.
*2/2 Offensive Mastery - Helps you farm better, and works with Mystic Shot.

3/3 Brute Force - Ezreal has an auto attack, a powerful one at that. Use this.

3/3 Lethality - Ezreal has a pretty good critical attack, so the 10% damage really helps.

1/1 Havoc - More damage, finishing off the offensive tree.

Utility
*Optional in my opinion

*1/1 Spacial Accuracy - Did you pick teleport? Might want to grab this.
3/3 Perseverance - HP/MP regen is a must on Ezreal. Grab this.
*1/1 Haste - Grab ghost? This is a must.

4/4 Awareness - Ezreal benefits a lot from skills early on.

1/2 Utility Master - Ezreal benefits incredibly from Lizard/Golem buffs. This is a must.

Before the Battle: Runes

There are many runes that will help Ezreal. Since this focuses on physical damage, there's a large variety to choose from. Since Ezreal is so powerful early game, like most runes in the game we'll center them around 1-13. Later on, runes make a minimal difference unless you went for critical damage.

Quintessence

These are the most expensive runes that give you the biggest buff. You have several options here, in HP, Armor Pen, movement speed and so forth. I suggest Armor Pen, as the 28 Armor Penetration from both Marks and Quintessence is very useful.

Marks

For marks, I suggest Armor Pen over any other. The damage difference for most of the game is noticeable if you don't have these and in some cases they are overpowering. Most champions you will be killing have low armor and tend not to bother getting items.

Seals

There is a few options here. Dodge and Crit Chance can really help, but if you are confident I would go for Mana Regen per Level. This will help you focus strictly on damage based items and by Level 8-11 you won't have to worry about mana.

Glyphs

Some swear by the cooldown reduction. These runes are pricey but really help if you are against another Ezreal. However, I found the changes (about .3 on my Mystic Shots) to be incredibly minimal in opposed to using more Mana Regen per Level. My opinion is using both Mana Regen per Level runes in both Seals and Glyphs and being completely mana independent for a majority of the match. This will help you farm better and faster. If you need CD reduction, grab Golem. The same can be said for mana, but you can't cast your spells faster if you lack the mana to do so.

Before the Battle: Summoner Spells

Exhaust

This spell helps you control carries that would own your face and slow targets you want to kill. It also uses up the extra point you have in the Offensive tree and if you do it'll lower their armor and resist making the target easier to kill. It also helps in escaping.

Ignite

Ezreal's burst damage and DPS is insane, and early game this can help you kill easily against any other champ at level 1-3. It's almost impossible to solo mid without it.

Cleanse

People will ignite/exhuast you, and it will hurt you early game and decimate you late game. This can really help, however in group fights it's almost worthless if they are intent on keeping you suppressed.

Ghost

This spell is godly on Ezreal. Helps you escape like non-other, allows you to easily engage other champions you know you could kill, and helps you catch up to champions that are running away. This combined with Arcane Shift (E) you can easily catch up to any champion running away.

Flash

Flash, combined with Ezreal's Arcane Shift will allow you to disappear rather easily from combat and have two ways of positioning himself for a kill. It's useful, however I find it better to use Ghost over Flash or another offensive spell.

My recommendations are Ignite and Ghost.

The Fight

For a lane, as with any other carry guide, I suggest Solo Mid. Ezreal has godly 1vs1 capabilities and even if you die against another character has one of the best recoveries from death in the game because of his high skill damage early on. When playing, while waiting for the match to start and setting up runes/mysteries, tell your team you are heading to solo middle. If you call it first, it's yours. If your team ignores you, deal with it how you like. If someone else calls, you can still lane; however AD Ezreal really shines in middle and is decent in a lane. In my opinion, middle or dodge when playing AD.

For your first items you have a lot of options. Boots and Potions will help you, but your damage is low. A longsword and a potion is a good choice too, but you'll lack the ability to stay long in your lane against another harasser. A Doran's Blade works really well with Ezreal, as the life-steal works with Mystic Shot and the extra damage and Hp helps you decimate any opponent you find yourself against. A Vampiric Scepter also works, but again you lack damage needed to overwhelm opponents.

For your first skill, always choose Mystic Shot. This helps you last hit minions easily and deal over 100 Damage to opponents if it lands even at level 1. It's almost invaluable.

If you are confident, try hiding in the weeds to either side of middle at the start and wait for the minions to start their battle. Hopefully, one of the enemies will be close to your side you chose and you can start off by slapping them with a Mystic Shot and an auto attack. This can deal upwards of 200 damage and put them at an extreme disadvantage without over-extending yourself.

Once in a lane, position yourself behind your creeps to block many skill shots that could be tossed against you. The enemy will do the same, as minions block your Mystic Shot damage. Ever once in a while when the enemy is open and you won't get molested by minions, toss a random auto attack their way if they are simply farming. Ezreal's auto attack is quiet and a very light color, and when it crits for 150 damage many players might not immediately realize it. Champion hit-boxes are bigger than minions, and you can land Mystic Shot by trying to push it to the side of the minion wall and clipping the opponent. Ezreal is very good at driving the enemy away from the minions and starving them for EXP/Gold, so abuse this if your life is high and theirs is low. Remember: Ezreal is one of the strongest carries starting out, and it's common to kill someone at Level 1-3. Don't waste too much mana around level 4-5, as when you hit 6 and the enemy is still alive you can use your ultimate to deal 280+ to them quickly.

Focus on Mystic Shot (Q) and Arcane Shift (E). These are your main abilities for destroying other champions, and put one point into Essence Flux (W). While Essence Flux hits hard and heals great, it's mainly used for AD Ezreal as a way to buff team mates, build up your Passive when there is a team mate around. While Essence Flux travels over minions, it's costly and easy to dodge. Use it when you know it will hit and remember it slows enemy attack speeds.

Whenever your opponent is missing and it's safe, you can quickly decimate a tower by waiting for your minions to get close enough and use your ultimate down a lane through the minions. This gives you an easy 75% attack speed buff and you can use Mystic Shot to keep the buff up and pick off the minions as they walk up with low HP. If this isn't possible, pay attention to the other lanes while your ultimate is up. It's very likely you can hit the enemy trying to recall at their tower with low HP with your Trueshot Barrage and nab a kill.

Items wise is strictly up to what you are fighting. For boots, it's either Mercury Treads for high crowd-control teams, or Boots of Swiftness for everything else. Ezreal needs the movement speed as his is rather low base, and Mercury Treads because he has zero survivability stunned.

Generally you want to grab The Brutializer first after boots as it gives you much needed cooldown reduction, armor penetration, and damage. Afterwards, it's based on what the battle is turning out like. If you are doing well and are confident, grab a Sword of the Occult. Ezreal assists a lot and it's easy to grab a high amount of stacks on it. Sheen greatly increases his damage with Mystic Shot, and Trinity Force gives everything a growing boy needs. If the team is full of high HP targets, focusing on Madred's Bloodrazors instead of Trininity force can really help your team. Last Whisper helps penetrate tough armor, and The Black Cleaver adds a lot of Attack Damage and procs off both auto-attacks and mystic shot. It's important to keep buying potions and at about level 8 if you have the time to try and grab your jungle buffs.

Early game if you are stale-mated or more importantly doing well, you can wander around to gank. Ezreal's burst is top-notch, so running to an unexpected side lane can easily grant you a double kill. Be careful of teams with teleporters and don't risk killing yourself under the enemy turret. Remember your attack speed debuff when fighting against enemy carries, and remember to heal your team mates for a little bit and build up your passive while increasing their attack speed.

Later on as laning phases start to end, make sure to work well with your team. Don't ever initiate unless you are sure the enemy is alone and you can take them down. Rely on your team, letting them go in first and having yourself pick off the carries/healers. If the enemy is close, your ultimate can cut them all down for a massive amount of damage, or you can save it to pick off someone who got away with low health. The best way is to let the enemy focus your team while you go around and Arcane Shift through an obstacle and take your target by surprise. If the enemy starts to focus you it might be over, so learn when is the best time to engage as having a good sturdy team the enemy can focus on makes or breaks AD Ezreal.

If the enemy is pushed back, harass with Mystic shot and heal your team. Don't over-extend yourself as against multiple targets (especially those with crowd control) you will go down fast. At tower, when pushing with your team try to work on harassing with Mystic Shot at the enemy and bringing down the tower with your auto-attack. It's hard for AD Ezreal to get back up from doing especially bad, so if you fail early focus on Essence Flux to buff your party and wait for a chance to take out the weakest enemy link. AD Ezreal has a lot to gamble but a great pay-off if you succeed in a few fights. A lot of this though relies on having a competent team.

At your towers on defense, heal your team and harass with mystic shot and essence flux. Don't allow the enemy to gib you, and don't hang around when you know the tower will fall and wind up as a casualty.

Later on, wards at baron can be really important. Ezreal is one of the best champions at stealing the Baron Nashor buff, as his ultimate deals a great amount of damage and travels across the map. Keep in an eye on it and learn to judge your distance and damage and you will be turning the tables rather quickly.

Don't forgot that Attack Damage is as important as utility. You cannot do much if you don't have the damage to back yourself up, so make sure to have at least a Sword of the Occult or a The Black Cleaver/Bloodthrister to make up your Attack Damage.

Recap

Skills

Focus on Mystic Shot and Arcane Shift.

1) Mystic Shot
2) Arcane Shift
3) Mystic Shot
4) Essence Flux
5) Mystic Shot
6) Trueshot Barrage
7) Mystic Shot
8) Arcane Shift
9) Essence Flux
10) Mystic Shot (MAX)
11) Trueshot Barrage
12) Arcane Shift
13) Essence Flux
14) Arcane Shift
15) Arcane Shift (MAX)
16) Trueshot Barrage
17) Essence Flux
18) Essence Flux (MAX)

Items

Don't stick with one build, as what you face isn't always the same. Switch out Trinity Force for Bloodrazors when needed, and in some cases even some defense such as Banshee's Veil. If you are building Bloodrazors, get that before Brutalizer. In some cases, it might be better to grab Bruticlizer after Razor or just rush Bloodrazor. In many cases, getting Bloodrazor anyways really helps, as it drastically increases your farming and jungle killing abilities and the extra damage ALWAYS helps.

1) Doran's Blade + Health Potion
2) Boots of Swiftness / Mercury Treads
3) The Brutalizer
4) Sword of the Occult / The Black Cleaver
5) Trinity Force / Madred's Bloodrazor
6) Madred's Bloodrazor / Trininity Force / Last Whisper / Whatever your team needs.

As with any DPS, the standard Boots+5 Bloodthristers works as well if you are just face rolling.

Tips and Tricks

1) AD Ezreal is mostly mid or bust. There are very few champions you will have a problem with once you practice your shots and tactics, and even then it's important to voice to your team that you can't handle the target.
2) If the enemy is missing or you pushed them back and have the chance, ult down the middle lane through the minions to build up your passive to 5 stacks and assault the tower with your 75% attack speed buff. Take out the minions that get close with Mystic Shot as they should be low HP and pay attention for teleport/ganks. This tactic pays off, but you must learn when the time to do it is.

3) Ezreal is one of the more forgiving champions when it comes to death. Even when you die in mid, you have a great shot at immediately bouncing back due to the burst damage you can put out.

4) Rely on your team later on. You can't take heavy focus, so try to wait for the perfect chance to bust in and wreck the low hp/armor champions.

5) Remember to support your team with your heal later on.

6) Ward baron, and if it comes down to it try to time your Ultimate to steal the kill from the enemy team. Ezreal is very good at this.

7) If your lane is stalemated or you are doing very good, remember to run to a side lane and gank the one that's the easiest to put down, or help the one getting pushed into oblivion.

END

I think I covered everything. If I missed something or you have comments/opinions, be sure to post them.

Deadly Paradox

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorus View Post
Why Attack Damage (AD)?

AD Ezreal is insane 1vs1, being one of the fastest and hardest hitting champs in the game. His auto-attack is difficult to see in a lane and people who aren't paying attention can easily die to it. While Ability Power Ezreal can heal and do some great bursting with his skills, AD Ezreal farms faster, takes down towers like mad, and still buffs/heals allies.
I stopped reading right here. League of Legends is a team game, not a 1v1 arena. This is why AP Ezreal is so much better.

Chorus

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Paradox View Post
I stopped reading right here. League of Legends is a team game.
I stopped reading right there. Why even have champions that don't have AOEs if all this game was is teams?

RocketSlug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2010

I'm thinking of getting into Ezreal, and have been mostly messing around with a hybrid AD/AP build with stuff like Guinsoo's and Nashor's tooth. I was grabbing Tiamat, but it doesn't look like the splash procs off of mystic shot (I could've sworn it did, but I'll have to test sometime). Anyway, I was trying to theorycraft a build for myself and was thinking about Frozen Mallet. What do you think? It gives you damage, your Mystic Shot will now have a slow and it gives you survivability, too.

Chorus

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSlug View Post
I'm thinking of getting into Ezreal, and have been mostly messing around with a hybrid AD/AP build with stuff like Guinsoo's and Nashor's tooth. I was grabbing Tiamat, but it doesn't look like the splash procs off of mystic shot (I could've sworn it did, but I'll have to test sometime). Anyway, I was trying to theorycraft a build for myself and was thinking about Frozen Mallet. What do you think? It gives you damage, your Mystic Shot will now have a slow and it gives you survivability, too.
I'd say just stick with Trinity Force if you are going to dump the gold in for the HP/Slow. With a faster movement speed you can get more auto attacks/mystic shots to land to slow them as opposed to just slowing 100% of the time with a slower movement.

SabbathViper

05-09-2010

I like both Ezreals, both are viable. I found AD to be very good, I'd MS > AS > MS and have people on the run immediately. I could choose to either persue, or run back to my line or to my allies... ready to do it again if need be. With golem buff, you can do this over and over and it's just great. Really demoralizing. You think you're in a safe spot, and then suddenly you have some huge damage shots laying into you all of a sudden.

It was easy to farm buffs, creep, and last-hit to get gold without wasting mana (spent mana from last hitting with MS on harassing with MS instead, you dont have enough to constantly be doing both).

Chorus

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabbathViper View Post
I like both Ezreals, both are viable. I found AD to be very good, I'd MS > AS > MS and have people on the run immediately. I could choose to either persue, or run back to my line or to my allies... ready to do it again if need be. With golem buff, you can do this over and over and it's just great. Really demoralizing. You think you're in a safe spot, and then suddenly you have some huge damage shots laying into you all of a sudden.

It was easy to farm buffs, creep, and last-hit to get gold without wasting mana (spent mana from last hitting with MS on harassing with MS instead, you dont have enough to constantly be doing both).
It's funny because AD players recognize that AP players heal and have a massive ult, and AP/Everyone else says AD is useless.

Squee Goblin Nabob

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-09-2010

AP ez is good in some situations. MOST of the time I find AD to be more useful. The way I think about it is this: AP only utilizes 4 of his 5 abilities (including his passive) and only mystic for the cd, whereas AD uses all of them, you can still heal for upwards of 200 per hero and IAS, you can still hit hard with shift etc etc. AD ez can do MORE for a team than AP. The faster you kill them the less you have to heal.

DayInTheSun

05-09-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSlug View Post
Your Q applies all on hit effects, including tiamat. The splash range is juts abysmal. Never get tiamat, it's a pretty god awful item unless you want to stack 5 of them for epic splash damage lulz.

Ai shi teru

05-09-2010

I think we played against each other today when I queued with irl friend. Everything is good except items.

1) Doran's Blade + Health Potion
2) Boots of Swiftness / Mercury Treads
3) The Brutalizer
4) Sword of the Occult / The Black Cleaver
5) Trinity Force / Madred's Bloodrazor
6) Madred's Bloodrazor / Trininity Force / Last Whisper / Whatever your team needs

Dorans blade is generally a bad starting item. If you are against a good laner( ex Karthus), you will not to lifesteal much.
I suggest boots + 3 pots or Fort + 3 hp pot + 1 mana pot
Trinity force is gotten too late . Sheen is rushed, its not great late game for AD ezreal.

Ezreal has enough escape with Arcane shift, BoS is overredundant. Dodge/Merc treads is better

Madreds should really be situational and against hp heavy teams, but some junglers get the first item for faster jungling.