Isn't Dominion's population problem a vicious cycle?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZallKlos

03-17-2013

People leaving because nothing seems to be done(more no communication) by Riot.
Riot doesn't seem to want to invest much in Dominion because of low player base.

Player base get lowering because nothing is happening.
Low market doesn't really justify extra manpower on the product.

naotasan

03-17-2013

I think Riot is expecting the community to either

A) Randomly fall in love with Dominion (fat chance)

B) bring the players in themselves (we've tried, a lot)

Wolf Un1t

03-17-2013

It's because they have no ranked mode

The lack of ranked mode makes the game seem undesirable because people know that Riot doesn't care. I know because I'm a hardcore dominion player

Stralucire

03-17-2013

Or they're being quiet right now so that they can later throw down a big update-bomb right before season 4, much like they did with TT in season 3, and revamp all sorts of stuff about the map.

KaWraith

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
Or they're being quiet right now so that they can later throw down a big update-bomb right before season 4, much like they did with TT in season 3, and revamp all sorts of stuff about the map.
I think this is the plan honestly.
On the other hand I imagine it will be season 5, not 4 when they come around....

naotasan

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaWraith View Post
I think this is the plan honestly.
On the other hand I imagine it will be season 5, not 4 when they come around....
By then it will be too late.

Hell, it's already too late.

Genericke

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stralucire View Post
I remember last year, thinking for sure that once season 3 started there would be ranked dominion. I remember hearing so much about how we were going to get it, and how things were going to change.

They didn't. I'm not holding my breath for season 4 either.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to stop playing though. I still enjoy the game mode. Eventually I will get tired of it, and all of its problems. Until then though I'm still here.

SlasherBag

03-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericke View Post
I remember last year, thinking for sure that once season 3 started there would be ranked dominion. I remember hearing so much about how we were going to get it, and how things were going to change.

They didn't. I'm not holding my breath for season 4 either.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to stop playing though. I still enjoy the game mode. Eventually I will get tired of it, and all of its problems. Until then though I'm still here.
Gunna have to agree with this one, though after they announced the TT stuff, it was pretty obvious there wouldn't be too much focus on Dom (it did get some, but glaringly large problems are still prevalent). I mean, I'm having a lot of fun in the mode, its just getting to that "to what ends am I playing this" kind of moment. Would be nice to have something to work towards aside from getting better with lower tier champions than I currently use.

trustmeimdoctor

03-17-2013

Personally, I think I will lose interest because of a lack of ranked mode. I have no way to know how I measure up. I know similar things have been stated a thousand times, but for me this is the honest truth. I'm just gonna lose interest eventually.

Redenbacher

03-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Un1t View Post
It's because they have no ranked mode

The lack of ranked mode makes the game seem undesirable because people know that Riot doesn't care. I know because I'm a hardcore dominion player
I have to disagree with this, for reasons FDru has already stated.

ARAM has no ranked mode, no draft mode, no queue entirely... yet I believe it to be the second most popular mode of play.

Dominion's player base issues stem far deeper than just a ranked mode.

1) The gameplay is fundamentally different than the standard mode of play. ARAM allows you to apply SR laning tactics, and removes all of the 'complicated' things such as warding, jungling, and map control; there is no learning curve. Same with TT.

2) New players are introduced to the game on SR gameplay; there is no tutorial for Dominion.

3) SR receives an enormous amount of marketing support in featured streams, tournaments & championships, prizes, etc; Dominion and TT do not. Now, neither does ARAM - but the game translates well. If you play SR, you can play ARAM. The same does not translate to Dominion. I think we've all seen time and time again that good SR players are not very good Dominion players. (I wonder if the reverse is true as well...)

Bottom line is that there is a lack of education/understanding of what Dominion is and how to play it effectively. New players don't have pros to watch and learn from, they don't have strategy guides to read that are available in the thousands. They don't have any incentive for playing Dominion.

The issue, in my opinion, is the entire lack of support for Dominion as a game mode. Not the fact that lacks ranked. Dominion players want ranked... the rest of the world just doesn't care about Dominion because it's a misunderstood and different style of play.

It baffles me, because Riot spent months of effort (if not more) delivering something different and innovative to the MOBA genre... then just left it to float into the ether. Why? Did they assume it would just be a smash hit and take off, given that it completely challenges traditional gameplay for MOBAs? Did they just expect the community to run with it? Did they just want something to 1-up the release of DotA2? I don't know, but I haven't been playing much in the past few months and haven't seen any changes whatsoever. The last update on this forum was for a (visual) bug fix... nothing else.