LoL coming to MLG; Dominion take priority over competitive features

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucid Dreaming

08-12-2011

This is mind boggling. Riot must realize how huge this game could be after seeing the viewer numbers at Dreamhack. They've now got a place in MLG yet they've decided to push out a gimmick new mode instead of focusing at least temporarily on competitive features.

Replays
Observer - This one is there at least for tournaments
Pause - Extremely necessary for tournaments after seeing how they (didn't) handle disconnections at Dreamhack
Clan/Team system

Where are they Riot?

Fibus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2011

Purely out of curiosity, what are you expecting out of a clan/team system?

Augustice

08-12-2011

Calling Dominion a 'gimmick' really doesn't give Riot as much credit as they deserve. Lets remember who made the game we have come to love and who will continue to run it long after you have given up on it. LoL has made its way from a small DotA clone into something much bigger. Taking a risk like dominion isn't easy and personally I feel refreshed that change is coming. Clan Systems, a less buggy store, and all the commodities that your looking for sound great, but remember that core gameplay takes priority. It isn't easy to build a game up to MLG standards and people like you are the reason it takes so long. Just sit back and enjoy the great ride Riot has us on. I'll see you on the new field of justice!

Arecanderu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2011

aparently, to Riot Dominion > all of these things, if you agree or disagree doesn't mean that they're right or wrong it just means that they do things diferently (I saw somewhere an interview to Tryndamere where he said that Replays, observer and those things aren't as necesary as most people think)

Warscythes

08-12-2011

a company with 350 employees can obviously only work on one thing at a time.

derp

iMaelstrom

08-12-2011

The pro circuit at MLG has never been favorable to matches that take too long. Dominion will likely be the main gametype at MLG solely because of time constraints (in the future, when there are a lot of teams).

Morello

Lead Designer

08-12-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

From another post for context;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
I think there's three things to break down here;

* Players want Replays/Spectator/Other features.

This is valid and we need to deliver those. Whatever reasons we haven't got them out are our problem to fix, and not fixing that effectively and quickly is our bad. Nothing more to really be said there.

* Riot could divert resources from somewhere! If you don't choose this as the most important thing, it's clearly unimportant.

Another misunderstanding of the same vein. The types of programming efforts that these features rely on is largely shared with the guys who keep the servers running. When we said "server stability is our #1 priority," we meant it. The Platform engineers have been doing a Herculean job on improving stability in the face of rapid growth. And if my choice is server stability or Replays, I'll take stability 100% of the time (I think we'd agree that's more important).

It's not an issue of "hire X instead of Y." We just hire both. We haven't grown at such a breakneck speed by being stingy with our hiring, but we only want the best candidates. Getting people who are mediocre is worse than taking the time for the right talent.

* Riot doesn't care about competitive community because it doesn't have every major feature they'd like.

This is the argument I take issue with. Most of our features (and Hell, most balancing efforts) are based around our competitive game. We didn't hire Phreak and Classick out of the community so we could -ignore- high-level play. We don't pour tons of time and resources into things like ESports and Season 1 competitive-based features because we don't prioritize high-level play. Honestly, this argument is a knee-jerk reaction due to the frustrations from point 1 and 2, and I think you're completely off-base here. Your frustration at the lack of the features is valid, but this line of reasoning has little evidence to support it (and much to counter).

Sconed

08-12-2011

Not that I don't care for the other features, but many others and I are very exited for what you call a "gimmick." I also fail to see how a fast-paced capture point map isn't itself a competitive feature. I think the faster pace of Dominion would instead be very well suited for competitive play.

The Poor Ninja

08-12-2011

Wow this is so Fing lame. why do people cry so much about things they dont have? For the past year people have been crying about a new map and now that its here? Well theres always something else to cry about.

Powerstoned

08-12-2011

I like to actually play the game, so things like watching replays and/or watching other people play live while I sit and watch, is about as exciting as...watching my little sister's jazz tap rehearsals when we were kids?

Raise your hand if you like watching other people play video games? Whether it's online or in your living room, who's interested in watching that?