[Guide] Hyfe's Guide to the Competitive Nasus (The Teamwrecker)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AnAnarchist

05-14-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyfe View Post
I'll concede that the runes and core item build are the same because I truly feel it's the best way to play Nasus. However, I level my skills differently, my summoner spells are different, and masteries are different to reflect summoner spell choices. I'd also like to think I did a little more in this monstrosity of a guide in terms of thousands of words detailing use of spells, item choice reasoning and alternatives, play style, strategies, etc. than simply copying someone else's guide because I use the same items. I suppose I can credit the item build that is generally accepted by virtually all top ELO Nasus players to Messiah if you feel it's necessary though.

Not trying to sound like an ass, but I find it a little off-putting to have a guide that I spent several days writing called a "90% copy" because I use the same items and runes as another player.

Edit: Props given to Messiah in the intro. Sorry I couldn't be more original.

Apologies if my comment made you feel that way. I really do apreiciate the effort you've put in and to be fair it's probably closer to 66% Messiahs guide :P

However I do like you're changes! Cleanse has really worked great for me in the couple of games I've tried and ghost is good, though I'm still not certain that ghost > heal. I'll just have to play more games and try it out.

Also lvling wither over SS is brillant. This does however raise a question in my mind. You're Nasus essentially sacrifices a little damage for more team utility (since wither normally stops someone escaping teamfights). This is great but I've gone a step further and delayed sheen / trinity till after banshees and it seems to be working well for me. The idea being to maximise your tanking quicker and be yet more benefit to your team in line with getting wither over SS. Ever tried that yourself?

Also I prefer perserverance and strength of spirit to good hands and strengthen skin for the extra health and mana regen. Makes you even more unmovable during the laning stage.

So again very nice guide and as you said everyone has there only little quirks to their own playstyle so slight variations from player to player are bound to occur, there really isn't a perfect build.

Hyfe

05-14-2010

No hard feelings.

I haven't tried pushing the sheen back further because I feel it's a great cheap damage boost to have early on, but I might give it a shot, and it might be especially viable if you are the sole tank on your team.

After a few comments here and on leaguecraft I've decided to change up my mastery build. Instead of hardiness I will be going resistance and strength of spirit, as well as perserverance rather than good hands, still with a 17/13 build. I never realized the potency of these masteries until it was pointed out to me by you and others. Thanks!

Edit;

BTW, if you guys like the guide, uprate it on leaguecraft! They reset the rankings 2 days ago and implemented a new system. I am 2 uprates away from being the very first guide rated "great" on leaguecraft. Sure would be an ego boost for a first time guide writer!

War on Drugs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2010

I have tried Nasus so many times, with so many builds.

This one sounded great, and I thought maybe... just maybe, it would be effective.

This build is effective with a GREAT team. The problem with that is so is any other Nasus build. I truly feel Nasus brings absolutely nothing to the table that other champs do much better. (Please, please prove me wrong. I want to play Nasus.) I just don't want to sacrifice wins for fun. And tbh, when yur team is sub-par, this is the most boring build+champ ever.

Nasus needs a lot of love to be truly viable. This build offers zero dps, and if you do not get early traction with a good lanemate, you're in for a long and slow match. Nasus on his own cannot turn the tide of a game.

His ult: SOUNDS FLIPPING AWESOME. Then you pop it..... Uhh.... It looks cool, but really, what did it do? The 240 cap needs to be removed. I will never understand why it's capped. What is the point of using this in the middle of the enemy group if all it does it makes you instantly primaried and zerged to nothing.

Siphon Strike: Chore to level, and even when you do, at end game, I just don't see what that extra 100-200 (farmed ability) damage every 7 seconds brings to the table.

Spirit Fire: Great for farming. Problem is if you aren't in a solo lane, you're A: Pissing people off and B: Siphoning gold from a character that will absolutely use it better than you. This ability does ridiculously negligable damage by end game, and the entire enemy team will just sit in it while they beat your sandstorming dog head in. The armor reduction component just fails, and I have often wondered if it is even coded properly. I see -zero- difference in damage done before and after it's on the ground.

Wither: Oh wither.....This SINGLE skill alone is the only reason Nasus can do well in an average game. This is a great CC, but subject of course, to the wrath of Merc Treads and can be almost nullified. However, this skill is the single diamond in the rough. If other champs knew what that wither sound and graphic DID, they might actually go attack the slowed champ.

Alright, I am being extreme, yes.... but seriously, I can't for the life of me justify using Nasus over ANY other tank, over ANY other support, and most definately ANY other dps.

I am on your side with using champs to the best of their ability, and I'll even play champs that aren't as good as others in that role, however, I just can't play Nasus knowing I am operating at approx 50% effectiveness when compared to more viable selections.

Can we bridge this gap with a little Nasus love please?

P.S. Even the YouTube links featuring high scoring Nasus players are either in atrocious elo brackets, or in a top tier premade. I would like to see a skilled Nasus being effective in an equally skilled match. Links would be great.

P.P.S. Your guide is awesome. Your focus is awesome. Your explanations are some of the best I have ever read in a guide. It's just a shame that the champ is far, far, far from awesome. He deserves it, but he definately doesn't have it.

roninsm

05-28-2010

First things first, you're just flat out wrong when you say Nasus is not a good champ. He's one of the strongest in the game, but also one of the hardest to play well.

You are however, correct when you say that he is useless without a good team. Nasus is a tank, albeit one with good damage output, and tanks are useless without good teamplay. This is especially true of Nasus. Let's take a look at his skills.

Siphoning Strike: Nice damage boost, but by far the least impressive of his skills. Not saying it's bad, but the others all outshine it. It does do great damage to towers though, which helps with Nasus's already good pushing ability.

Spirit Fire: One of the best farming/pushing abilities in the game. This will allow you to hold virtually any lane, farm like a god, and push extremely fast (complements SS damage on towers). Additionally it has AOE ARMOR REDUCTION. Do not underestimate the effect this will have in team fights. Every physical based attack on your team does increased damage including SS (yay more synergy!).
Obviously this requires your team to coordinate somewhat to be most effective. It shines in team fights.

Wither: Best single target slow in the game, hands down. It completely shuts down physical carries. Judging from your comment on it, you are using it to initiate. Don't. Use it to shut down the carry in a fight.

FotS: This skill that you say seems to do "nothing" is in fact the reason Nasus is great. It HURTS in team fights. Again, the key is that your team needs to be coordinated enough to engage team fights. If not this skill is almost wasted.

Note: If you need an example of how effective the ult's damage is, just go take golem at lvl 6. First try it without ulting and see how far you get. Then ult and watch it die. The effect on champions is the exact same.

War on Drugs

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2010

Alright, I'll give it another few chances.... I'll start using wither as a carry-reduction rather than a gank/chase tool. As for his ult, you really feel that it's worthy? It looks awesome, but golem or no golem, it's pretty lackluster in end game for me.

I guess what I meant by "needs a good team" is some tanks are built well enough to allow their teammates to shine... it allows a normally neutralized player to do better than they would solo. Nasus seems to be the exact opposite of this. My team has to be GREAT in order for me to be useful.

Just my thoughts though.... I have only played 10 games or so in mid-elo, and 30ish in low ELO, so I am still learning.

I have yet to feel fearsome using any build with Nasus.

DayInTheSun

05-28-2010

You've played one game with him (the other was a practice game) in your last ten games, I really don't think that you can get a good handle on Nasus just from that. I played Nasus exclusively for my first week playing the game and I absolutely ate donkey turd everytime I played Nasus so I switched to Ashe and played her 24/7. When I hit level 30 and went back to playing him, I came to realize that he's not all that underwhelming at all, but yes, Nasus does need a bit of a solid team (none of those stupid all dps teams with no CC) to be utilized effectively. I think it's safe to say that you should never really solo Q with him unless your teammates have a tryhard team comp in champion select.

EcoEco

05-28-2010

With a decent low elo team (I was testing Nasus on a smurf account), I went 12/6/24

Pretty good since I built him like this.

Doran's Shield
Sheen
Boots +1
Meki Pendent
Mercury's Treads
Aegis
Chalice
Starks
Sell Doran
Sunfire Cape

I was able to farm SS pretty well. I had like +150 damage or something. So I didn't really needed more damage so I went for more Aura and got Starks instead (attack speed increase too).

Pretty good for first time as Nasus, even if its at low elo. I'm only mid elo myself. So testing new champions would usually make my team lose =P

roninsm

05-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halojinix View Post
Alright, I'll give it another few chances.... I'll start using wither as a carry-reduction rather than a gank/chase tool. As for his ult, you really feel that it's worthy? It looks awesome, but golem or no golem, it's pretty lackluster in end game for me.

I guess what I meant by "needs a good team" is some tanks are built well enough to allow their teammates to shine... it allows a normally neutralized player to do better than they would solo. Nasus seems to be the exact opposite of this. My team has to be GREAT in order for me to be useful.

Just my thoughts though.... I have only played 10 games or so in mid-elo, and 30ish in low ELO, so I am still learning.

I have yet to feel fearsome using any build with Nasus.
Using wither to chase is ok if it's a gank or something. Just be aware that it's not the main purpose. The golem thing is just an easy way to show you the damage it does. It also allows you to kill dragon and baron early and quickly btw.

Your team doesn't have to be godly for you to be useful, but they do need to have a general sense of when to fight and when not to fight, and need to have some stuns, since nasus is completely lacking in that department. Keep working at it and you'll figure it out eventually. I've had some great winning sprees in solo queue as Nasus.

War on Drugs

05-30-2010

I dunno, I ran like 6 more games on my smurf with him.....

If you were to say, compare him to Mordekaiser......

Mord, with ALL magic res and armor items is like a walking brick wall. You can't kill me, and if you do, it's because I did something really... really stupid. I also have a sick finishing ult combined with ignite. After I kill an enemy, and their ghost is in my possession, the rest of the enemies die pretty quickly.

This is with or without assistance mind you.

Morde just steamrolls. A proper tank morde will dominate early, mid and late game, becoming the center for your carries/cc to do their job.

Nasus is kind of like.... the opposite of this. He has little staying power while being focused, his abilities are slow, boring, and difficult to pull off without being constantly harassed as your health just saps away. If your team is not coordinated, there is NOTHING you can do to get them to rally behind you. You cannot roll with all defensive gear and expect to do any damage with Nasus.

And I am being generous comparing him to Morde. Can you honestly tell me why I would pick Nasus over Shen or Rammus when they do what Nasus does so much better?

All in all, I woud just like to see Nasus evened with other tanks in the game. A couple easy fixes to do this?

Remove the health drain cap from his ult. This alone would make it not only noticable, but viable in endgame teamfights.

Lower the cooldown for Q.

The lifesteal passive is not only overplayed, but terrible for Nasus. Make his passive grant damage per point of mag resist. Sort of Rammus' counterpart. Or hell, anything other than lifesteal.

Change the proc of spirit fire to reduce both armor and mag resist. Or increase the armor reduction. (The damage component is laughable, especially in late game. Farming minions is the only thing Nasus does well with it.)

As I have always stated, wither is the only RIGHT ability Nasus has. The rest need work. Even the best Nasus players among you deep down must feel the same?

Lightwrks

05-30-2010

Nasus is fine. He's **** near the best tank in the game. Certainly not worse than Morde or Rammus.