A little help...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arctura42

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-08-2010

My friend and I have been playing for about a year now, and all of a sudden, our skill levels have plummeted. We thought we had some semblance of skill, but we seem to be taken apart no matter who we play.

Currently, I'm doing some research into Roman tactics and discussing with the team I play with about our strategy, and both my friend and I are trying new characters and jotting down things we're doing wrong in games. We've looked at most of the strategy guides available on this forum, but still seem to be doing horribly.

The only reason my W/L ratio is greater than 1 is probably due to the fact that I used to main Zilean for a time, and took on mainly a support role once things started to get difficult, and let myself be carried by bringing important team members back to life. After a while, as my skill level didn't change and my elo got higher, the opponents got tougher, until finally I realized that I wasn't nearly as good as I thought.

And so the purpose of this thread. I seek assistance. I genuinely want to become a better player, and I would like some help. Whether you have some advice to give, or you want to go all out and invite me to a practice game to explain a few finer details, I will accept whatever help anyone is willing to give. I thank the LoL community for its time, and Riot for making this awesome game.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-08-2010

I'm definitely not an expert, but I'll help where I can.

If you die, try to think about what you did wrong and how you could have prevented that death. If a team fight goes badly, think about what the factors were that made it go bad. Such factors can include stupid decision during the fight, losing sight of your champion, poking your face into places where it should not have been (usually the jungle), bad positioning, and even map awareness. As for the map awareness bit, sometimes you could be happily farming minions while a team fight rages just over the trees, sometimes there was a chance that you could detect a pincer/flank move that, if you didn't chase the bait, could have gtfo and lived.

Thistlemin

05-08-2010

There is much to learn in this game, and like Kajitii, I'm definitely not an expert in all dynamics of the game. I'll give you some very general advice, because without knowing or watching you play I can't give you much more than that.

The key I've found for me is finding your niche. I tend to have a very distinct playstyle and what helped me most was aligning my style with the appropriate champions that essentuate my characteristics. For example I tend to be very aggressive in the laning phase or when around enemy champions. I prefer to harrass and attack than to sit on my heels. I do terribly when taking on a very passive playstyle. So certain champions that force you to preech patiance patiance patiance haven't synergized with me well.

So as I looked through the champions list and after experimenting with many I found what works for me. My map awareness isn't as great as it could be because I prefer to play with the screen locked rather than panning with Y. I like to do everything. I hate sitting in one place. I get bored to death of slow, immobile champions. The more I defined what I didn't want to do helped me narrow down the list in the Champions Shop of who I wanted to play as and get good with.

What I found was Nidalee and Warwick. Both fit my relentless assault type of style with a dash of obscene recklessness. Both have a form of life gain, in heal or passive to recover from being overagressive. This I found was key for me. And even though one is a jungler and one isn't as much (at least to start the game) I found that both are tailor made for me.

I suggest you look for this same idea for you, whether it be someone like Janna who is also a good support champion with a similar playstyle as Zilean who you mained. I'd also suggest if you did try Janna, that you playe more on Twisted Treeline to simplify the ganking. With less enemies to keep track of and less of a laning phase, you'll get very good at the little things involved in the grand scheme of things. You'll learn a lot, very fast on TT since the pace of the game is excellerated.

And the single best thing I can tell you to do, is be attentive. Which you already seem to be doing with your notes that you and your friend take. If you continue to be a student of the game and in life you will get better, and prosper. Learning from what I saw others do helped me, as well as learning from my own mistakes like Kajitii suggested. Learn how to sense danger, how to anticipate, the strengths and weaknesses of your champion, and how to itemize and build through Spells and Runes a strategy that works for you.

Sadly, Item builds are very important. They do make or break the champion. If you'd caare to practice match I'll play with and/or against you as you'd like. Send me a request any time. Good luck!

Arctura42

Recruiter

05-08-2010

Thank you, wonderful people for your advice.

While I used to main a support character, I've tried branching out a bit. I had played quite a bit of DPS, with Ashe, Udyr, and even dps Kassadin a few times (AP as well - though AP suffers mana troubles, quite paradoxically). Then I sort of wandered around, playing seemingly random champions as they became free. Recently (today, as a matter of fact) I discovered Mundo.

Played only two games with Mundo, lost both, but the flow was always the same. Would go brimming with confidence into bot (don't know why it was bot both times), and show expertise firing off the skillshot that I had trained myself to do with Ezreal a long time ago. The laning phase turned out pretty well - and once I got to level 6, I could basically stay there forever (obviously not the best idea). After that, I become far less productive, generally going for ganks and pushing where I think we can take a turret down, otherwise going to defend what few turrets we seem to have left. In teamfights, I usually can ignore most CC entirely (as with W and mercs its down to like 20% duration, which I cannot even notice) and go straight for the damage dealers, taking them out with E and Q if they start to run. The problem usually lies in when I think that we can't win the teamfight. As I'm not invincible, and cannot take 5 champs worth of damage, I don't start a fight or continue fighting if things look like they'll definitely fall apart. As a result, I haven't saved my teammates when I think I could have. However, a few times when I did try to save some people from a dire situation, they turned around to fight, and we both ended up dying. That was probably due to communication problems, rather than skill on either of our parts though - typing is difficult when you need to pull something like that off.

I even managed to completely perplex that one eve that last game. I was rather proud. Ever time she stealthed, I would wait a second, then throw the cleaver, and never missed. At least, I believe I never missed. Probably missed a few times when I heard the sound - probably hit a minion or something. Anyway. Stealthed champions follow very basic movement strategies, allowing for intuition to take the place of actual aim. Even managed to kill her while she was stealthed and running away. I'm definitely going to try Mundo some more - I've taken a liking towards him. Perhaps I could also try my hand at Blitz - as he also has a ridiculously useful skillshot. And doesn't sound really weird.

Thanks for all the help everyone - and when you have some time, Thistlemin, I'll definitely enjoy a practice match with you. I'm looking forward to it.