Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Most Universal/Best Rune Setup?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mellllloooo

08-11-2011

I play this game for general enjoyment and all that. I don't get competitive or serious. As a result, I don't have a 'main'. I play as many champs as I can depending on my mood. I like to buy a lot of champs, and I don't want to spend all my IP on runes. Therefore I want a rune setup that will work 10000% BEST FOR EACH TYPE OF CHAMPION.

So which is the most universal setup?

PS: I'm currently level 24.

BrotherCaine

08-11-2011

Flat Heath Yellows
Flat health Quints OR +movement speed
Flat Cooldown Blues

As for reds, not sure.

EDIT: for reds, if you absolutely refuse to specailize, you'll have to take inferior flat health or cooldown reds. They don't give much bang for your buck as opposed to if you specailized in mage or AD.

PlayWithMe69

08-11-2011

Magic Penetration Reds (Because 90% of abilites scale with magic damage)
Flat Armor Yellows (Everyone needs defense)
Magic Resist per Level Blues (Late game those nukes begin to hit hard >.&gt
Flat Health Quintenceses (I see this a lot with vetran players. Apparently its good for everyone.)

For the yellows and blue, you can switch them for Armor per level or Flat Magic Resist. The point is you get defense, early or late game.

This is just my suggestion :P

PlayWithMe69

08-11-2011

You could also go full page flat health regen. For some extreme trolling early game xP

Enraged Pickle

08-11-2011

Rather than what rune setup is universal, I'll just point out stats that is beneficial for all champions

Flat Health (usually quints and perhaps yellows)
Cooldown Reductions (usually blue)
Movement (quints)

If you lean towards DPS, tanky DPS, "tank", support then AR and MR both works. Basically anything that can get in melee range or a support character that don't mind a little tankier.

Now for the reds, you can pick inferior flat health or cooldown reductions like Caine said. But I'll narrow it down a bit more.
If you lean towards anything but AD champions (support, "tank", AP carry), you can grab magic penetration reds. Even if you do play some AD champions, some still deal magic damage here and there.

Edit: Per level or flat is up to you. Its more useful using flat since its early game thats when you're most harrassable. However.... runes are also more expensive (usually).

Tancorani

08-11-2011

Quote:
PlayWithMe69:
Magic Penetration Reds (Because 90% of abilites scale with magic damage)
Flat Armor Yellows (Everyone needs defense)
Magic Resist per Level Blues (Late game those nukes begin to hit hard >.&gt
Flat Health Quintenceses (I see this a lot with vetran players. Apparently its good for everyone.)

For the yellows and blue, you can switch them for Armor per level or Flat Magic Resist. The point is you get defense, early or late game.

This is just my suggestion :P

This setup is basically the one you'd want. Any tank uses it (with the minor exception that the magic pen might switch to armor pen based on champ used). But yes, most abilities in LoL seem to be scaled with AP. And worst case scenario, you'll just not benefit from the slight early game buff the magic pen gives. The armor, magic resist, and health boost are beneficial to any champion though.

Plus for the armor yellow and the magic resist blues they're 205 IP each so you cant really go wrong there. Hell I've even gotten a few Health Quints (2k IP each) by trading in spare or old runes that cost 205 at the time in that rune combiner. 5 times the value of the old rune for nothing, seemed like a good deal at the time.

Mellllloooo

08-11-2011

I tend to lean towards tanky-DPS champs. Does that change what kind of runes I should get? I do enjoy occasional AP casters though.

Tancorani

08-11-2011

Every champ and champion type has a more specified rune page that fits them perfectly. The magic pen reds, armor yellows, and magic resist blue are just a basic and fairly cheap page that benefits every champ in some way. It would be a good page for the tanky dps, but an ap caster might want different yellows and blues.

Mellllloooo

08-11-2011

Great advice so far -- would like to hear some more input before spending on some runes.

iProbie

08-11-2011

what tanky dps are u doing? physical damage or magical damage?

others have stated
if you like doing physical damage, then armor pen for reds
if you like doing magical damage, then magic pen for reds

I like MS quints+masteries so much atm, many times I have been saved with a sliver of hp thanks to the extra 25 ms that those quints and masteries give. Plus, since I also like tanky dps melee champions, the extra ms really helps against kiters or ranged. However, it really comes down to your taste and preferences.

for blues, I grab flat cdr since I cannot really find any better blue glyphs atm(maybe mr per level blues).