Skarner: Under Powered or Balanced?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crunchtheist

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn3aks View Post
tanky ap skarner is undepowered, hes just a weak champ no matter how you play him
BINGO!

I've been playing him almost non-stop since he came out! while he IS decent at jungling, he just brings NOTHING to the gank-table! "Oh no! Skarner's comming bottom to help them gank! What do we do?", "What else? Ignore him and kill the laners that come to help him set up the gank".... Yeah, that's pretty much the typical response I get... His Q slow is BARELY adequate at keeping him at an enemy's heels, his AD leaves much to be desired, his shield breaks too easy and leaves him buff-less (and therefore useless), and his... well, his skillshot is pretty much only nice to heal up in a minion wave; it's garbage in a teamfight and hardly an adequate poke for harassment purposes. His ult is pretty much the only thing that makes him a felt presence, and even then, it's so friggen hard to execute while u'r actually in RANGE! It's got ****-RANGE! and higher levels should give him at least an extra .2 seconds to the drag duration; 1.5 seconds is one of the shortest CC's I know of for an ult! For ****'s sake, Rammus's taunt-drag would be 100% better if it suppressed instead of taunted, but since it doesn't, it's only like 60% more effective... But how is that NOT pathetic?!

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE skarner's play-style; I wouldn't have been messing around with him this long if I didn't... But he's DYING (literally) for a buff! My GOD does he need a buff!!!

RIOT: BUFF SKARNER FOR ****'S SAKE!

Crunchtheist

08-11-2011

When I want to win, I play rumble.

Rumble and Skarner have remarkably similar playstyles thanks to their abilities (except the ult)... But Rumble's abilities are superior in almost all respects!!! Comparison:

Rumble = Flamethrower. Constant AoE heavy damage in a cone in front of him. Great for chasing down, amazing in teamfights, allows you to be positioned outside of the middle of the fight, so you don't get focused down immediately, and if they do turn on you, just scrap shield and float your ass outta there. Turn back around when teammates mess the enemy's days up, and finish them off
Skarner = Crystal Slash. Semi-constant AoE decent damage in a small radius around him. Does more damage and slows after first use.Horrible for chasing down, only slows AFTER you innitiate, and requires that you position yourself in the MIDDLE of teamfights for greatest AoE effect. Of course, that means you'll either be committing suicide, or you'll never get to use your crystal slash to greatest effect in teamfights. Rumble wins, hands-down.

Rumble = Scrap Shield. extremely brief shield that speeds you up for the first second it's in effect. Very short cooldown. Great little utility ability that can get you out of a near-death encounter quite handily. Throw an electro-harpoon behind you for good measure; you're home free. Great for chasing down fleeing opponents too.
Skarner = Crystalline Exoskeleton. Fairly durable shield that imparts buffs on move and attack speed while in effect. Outwardly, seems significantly better than scrap shield... Except when you figure out that you lose those wonderful buffs the second the enemy penetrates your shield. It's far from the most durable shield in the game; heck, sion's got a one-up on that part of it... But it serves it's function; giving you a little extra something to work with in encounters... But unlike scrap shield, you're not gonna get a nice burst of speed every couple seconds; hell, it could last far less than one second if you start getting focused down... And once the shield drops, everybody and their grandmother (walker and all, god bless her) will catch up to you. What can you do then? Crystal slash? Greaaaaat, now what do we do about the ranged pursuers? Guess we'll just have to die. Once again, Rumble wins.

Rumble = electro harpoon. One of the best skillshot poke abilities in the game, hands-down. Slows to boot, and you get TWO for the price of one! Now THAT'S handy!
Skarner = Fracture. Pathetic damage skillshot that *thank god* penetrates targets. At least that makes it better than electro harpoon for poking people behind minion waves, right? hardly. It does next to no damage! The only function it excells in is healing skarner for a handy chunk of health in a minion wave; it's just **** against enemy champs, no two ways about it. But hey, at least it'll hit more than one of them in a teamfight, right?... Rumble wins again.

The two character's ultimates are too different to give a fair comparison, but just for the hell of it, let's do it anyway:

Rumble = THE EQUALIZER!!!! DEATH FROM ABOVE! EVERYBODY RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!! OH **** TOO SLOW, AND IT'S LAYING RIGHT ALONG THE BEST ESCAPE ROUTE! bye-bye enemy team! Okay, slight exaggeration, but c'mon, this is a GREAT FRIGGEN ABILITY! it can turn around ANY teamfight with one little click, a second or two to line up perfectly, and plink-plink-plink-plink! Death from above! And a decent slow to boot! Now you and your teammates can have a ball mopping up the enemy.
Skarner = Impale. This is the first move of its kind; he suppresses AND gets to manipulate the enemy's position! All while doing damage to them! Now that's pretty cool!... But wait... It only lasts 1.5 seconds... Which isn't anything to sneeze at; if you use it right, you should have a gauranteed kill every time you use it; just drag the enemy into your turret or a crowd of teammates, and they die. BUT, BUT, BUT!!!! It only effects ONE target! And it's one of the shortest suppressions in the game! And it's got a pretty long cooldown to boot! Longer than Rumble's AoE, DoT, Slow-your-ass-and-kill-you Equalizer! Bummer! So yeah, in terms of sheer utility and usefulness in a teamfight, Rumble wins again...

Two "similar" champions.... Two VERY different outcomes. When I want to win, I play rumble... When I just don't care, I play Skarner. Cuz heck, he's still fun to play, even if he sucks.

DashRaptor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2011

I want to like Skarner, but he just doesn't do it. He sounds like an awesome champ, when you tell him to someone, but the game just doesn't quite match up to it.

One of the biggest problems I've noticed when playing him is that he doesn't have a good way to close. He's so melee-only that all a laning enemy needs to do is just stand back and there's nothing you can do. To actually hit someone, either you need a teammate with a hard stun, or a diabolically stupid enemy. Otherwise, they just stand back and there's nothing you can do.

Your only other option is to jungle, ganking people when they're out of position. He does have a great jungling game, especially with the heal and his speed, but the only way you can get a kill is to find one person drastically overextended. Otherwise, a champion that does have any kind of escape method (or even just Flash) can jump out of your range, and then there's nothing you can do to get back. Skarner's slow is great if you've got an enemy without a stun ready, but it doesn't do anything to initiate, since you need to hit with it twice to start slowing. His ult is a great initiator, but again, his drastically short range means that you need to get into someone's melee range to fire it off. Even with your shield AND Boots of Swiftness, it's nigh impossible to catch someone who has any kind of slow; they can almost doubtless hit you first, and you can't counter-slow to chase without getting into melee range first.

Basically, Skarner's complete lack of closing ability really hampers his playability: people can just see you coming and run before you can do anything. I really like the idea behind Skarner, I really do, but he just doesn't quite work the way they wanted him to.

TaziTheSlayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashRaptor View Post
I want to like Skarner, but he just doesn't do it. He sounds like an awesome champ, when you tell him to someone, but the game just doesn't quite match up to it.

One of the biggest problems I've noticed when playing him is that he doesn't have a good way to close. He's so melee-only that all a laning enemy needs to do is just stand back and there's nothing you can do. To actually hit someone, either you need a teammate with a hard stun, or a diabolically stupid enemy. Otherwise, they just stand back and there's nothing you can do.

Your only other option is to jungle, ganking people when they're out of position. He does have a great jungling game, especially with the heal and his speed, but the only way you can get a kill is to find one person drastically overextended. Otherwise, a champion that does have any kind of escape method (or even just Flash) can jump out of your range, and then there's nothing you can do to get back. Skarner's slow is great if you've got an enemy without a stun ready, but it doesn't do anything to initiate, since you need to hit with it twice to start slowing. His ult is a great initiator, but again, his drastically short range means that you need to get into someone's melee range to fire it off. Even with your shield AND Boots of Swiftness, it's nigh impossible to catch someone who has any kind of slow; they can almost doubtless hit you first, and you can't counter-slow to chase without getting into melee range first.

Basically, Skarner's complete lack of closing ability really hampers his playability: people can just see you coming and run before you can do anything. I really like the idea behind Skarner, I really do, but he just doesn't quite work the way they wanted him to.
I agree with you, im pretty sure if they spice up skarners range and damage a little bit more he will be a well balanced champion.

TaziTheSlayer

08-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn3aks View Post
tanky ap skarner is undepowered, hes just a weak champ no matter how you play him
Not true, I found that if you play Skarner as an ap jungler like I do instead of a laner you will do way better. He does need buffs though as I have said before.

Crunchtheist

08-11-2011

Where's my edit?!

Edit: Oh, nevermind...

Salganos

08-11-2011

I find he works okay in a duo lane so far. Getting at least three levels of E before level 6 is not too shabby against some laning pairs. Solo laning against Morde is ill-advised, however. Only got by with that because Udyr ganked him to death twice in rapid succession.

May be a tad underpowered in some respects but actually has good damage output as long as he is slightly hybridized. His biggest issue when getting good damage output is mana. I tried a pure hybrid build with Nashor's Tooth, Gunblade, and Lich's Bane, but ran out way too fast, despite it's perks. A less hybridized build with Manamune and Trinity Force backed by a Glacial Shroud and B. Veil don't have that issue so much though. Still want a proper AP item at the end though.

Also that Ult is bloody mean.

Crunchtheist

08-11-2011

Quote:

These are my sentiments EXACTLY! I REALLY want to love the ever-loving HELL outta Skarner! On paper, he looks so badass I could hardly contain my delight for his release! Upon closer inspection, that smile quickly turns to a frown... with a little tear under the eye, like this :*-(

So yeah, Skarner's playstyle is SOOOO much fun! So much fun that I have to keep playing him even though I get my ass handed to me almost EVERY TIME!!! I KNOW I'd serve my team 100% better if I just played as Rumble, or Wukong, or Singed, or even Vayne or Vladimir! But I can't stop playing him! His style is just so cool!!!! It's just such a shame that he sucks so bad... PLEASE BUFF SKARNER SO I CAN ACTUALLY WIN ONCE IN A WHILE WHEN I PLAY THIS COOL "LOOKING" CHAMP!

heathenscum

08-11-2011

you guys are ridiculous. he is a little over powered based on the shear utility he has a nuke, shield, speed boost, slow, life steal, suppress and forced movement. what other champion has all that?

Salganos

08-11-2011

Quote:

Reminds me of Udyr.