Presenting the Summoner's Code

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aimology

06-05-2010

I will **** talk as I please. Gaming is competition. Getting under peoples skin is part of Competition. Either it be Professional or for fun. In the long run people need to realize its all in fun and get a sense of humor. So, if you see me making you emotional over the internet dont take it personal.

<3 always

Aimology 101.

xKoBiEx

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoopaTomato View Post
I think this should be a popup in game that forces you to read it

maybe then I won't have to play with immature Kats who start feeding intentionally because someone "stole" their kill
There is definitely enough time during "summoning." - Sorry if that dig violates the code. I am a positive person but sometimes summoning takes 3-4 minutes after the 1.5 minutes for champion selection and 5 minutes of waiting for a game to fill. That's 10+ minutes waiting for a game.

But, I like the game and I always follow the code in the game. Thank you Riot.

Shadowik

06-06-2010

plz plz add riot points for SMS. I beg you.

xKoBiEx

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Ironstag View Post
See, this is a person who understands the true gamer. You want warm and fuzzy cooperation, theres Runescape and WoW, u made a game where u beat the **** out of people, u attract a certain mindset, u should expect nothing less than opportunistic cut-throats who love to talk smack. And if you cant take it, dont play, simple as that. the ignore command is awesome, but really only does a way with a symptom and not the disease.
I like to smack talk in live competition...but you can see expression and know that the smack is in good fun. Online, it is very difficult to know if someone is seriously berating you or doing so in good fun as competitive encouragement. "Eat that, meathead" is not derogatory, though. Insulting sexuality or talking about violating their dead loved ones' corpses is not only offensive but would land criminal charges in a live setting.

Solutions? Who knows, but the code is a good START. Everything begins with getting rid of the flame-war starters. I really don't care if someone tells me I suck when in some games I do. However, don't do it in a practice game labelled "NEW 1-5 ONLY" and you are clearly entering the game as a vet trying to get fed. What would help, though, is a way of saying that you don't want to play with particular players. I have made my own solution by clicking friend on players I would like to play with again and try to limit my games to those containing only friends. Since I have only played a few games, it will take a while to have a good database of available game opportunities.

All this said, I don't think permanent bans are the answer. A warning system in the after-game chat WOULD be a great addition. If you get a unanimous vote, the player is flagged for review and has an automatic XX minute ban from play and chat. The ban should reflect current and past conduct. Double it each time until the review has been processed. Since it requires a unanimous vote, I really don't think this method would produce any instances of a rookie getting banned for poor performance by a whole team of ragers. It would allow some leniency for a player who had a minor spat which was resolved. And, it would encourage a ban vote for truly derogatory conduct.

xKoBiEx

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingcolors View Post
some things cant be done i do not enjoy being raped but i enjoy raping.

i do rage when ur matchmaking system fails and i get bad RANDS WHO LEAVE AND MAKE ME LOOSE KTHNX.

i do not think when i dominate the opposition that they enjoy them selves so nar bl.

i rage in defeat and enjoy my winnings why show grace when u can be a disgrace.

if my team mate is fking **** i will leave them behind and hope they die.

constructivesszz feedbax kthnx? YOUR DOING REALLY GOOD AT DYING M8Y U R AWESUMS.

i build relationships with players who do not fail, unfortunatly ur matchmaking is so bad thats its very rarez.

this is like dota/hon dum'd down for 12 year olds that have lotsa monies wtf is up with skins pricing k thnx? what do they do give u atributes or just dom ur CC

LAST BUT NOT LEAST I WILL DO CIRCLES IN POOL IF GAME IS FAIL.

MY THOUGHTS KTHNX BLBESTINKNEYNA UR FAT <3 HOW DUZ U LIEKS MY COEDZ?
If you are good enough to "rape" bad players, then team with bad players on your side and help them stand a chance against good players on the other side. Ragers ARE good players a lot of the time but they are also average to low players too...and they just want an excuse for their poor performance.

I am learning right now because I never played DotA and played WC3 very little. However, I never feed intentionally and I try to help new players who don't realize they are feeding when they are really just desperately trying to feel the sense of accomplishing something through a kill or two.

"Noobs" are under a lot of stress of getting smashed without the need of constant berating from teammates. It is one thing for an opponent to say that they are owning you and do so in a competitive but friendly manner. It is totally another when a teammate starts raging on you and shouting racial slurs and insults. If you are seriously as good as you think you are, help your team.

I have seen good players try to help noobs and get frustrated when the help and constructive criticism is not heeded. This is merely aggression venting. There have even been times when I have seen a clear rager help out a noob and the noob improves from it...these are few and far between.

Anyway, I don't want a Hello Kitty game but I would like to see more co-operation from ragers who think they are better than they are.

xKoBiEx

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord awesomeness View Post
As off for rule 2 ... i wanna say that you should add more pirates... I think theres a rule in games that you have to have as many pirates as you got of ninjas
And zombies...and robots...

xKoBiEx

06-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowrang3r View Post
Does this mean that i can report noobs for not knowing how to play? I'm level 30 and constantly play with idiots every game. Some people don't even know what a MIA is... I mean, what the heck is that ****????! Can i report them for that if they are ruining my gaming experiance? haha, i dont know about you, but i bought this game at a retail store when it first came out, and since then have bought numerous gaming cards from 7-11 and whatnot. I would just like be playing with people who don't have their heads up their dairy-airs.
If you aren't doing so in a PRACTICE game, then it may be warranted. Flames in practice games are ridiculous. But, a LVL 30 player should be far above playing like an idiot.

Rowley90

06-08-2010

What happened to Code? I'm getting info that "The requested page could not be found.".
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/artic...Summoners_Code

RAPSCALLIONTWO

06-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKoBiEx View Post
I like to smack talk in live competition...but you can see expression and know that the smack is in good fun. Online, it is very difficult to know if someone is seriously berating you or doing so in good fun as competitive encouragement. "Eat that, meathead" is not derogatory, though. Insulting sexuality or talking about violating their dead loved ones' corpses is not only offensive but would land criminal charges in a live setting.

Solutions? Who knows, but the code is a good START. Everything begins with getting rid of the flame-war starters. I really don't care if someone tells me I suck when in some games I do. However, don't do it in a practice game labelled "NEW 1-5 ONLY" and you are clearly entering the game as a vet trying to get fed. What would help, though, is a way of saying that you don't want to play with particular players. I have made my own solution by clicking friend on players I would like to play with again and try to limit my games to those containing only friends. Since I have only played a few games, it will take a while to have a good database of available game opportunities.

All this said, I don't think permanent bans are the answer. A warning system in the after-game chat WOULD be a great addition. If you get a unanimous vote, the player is flagged for review and has an automatic XX minute ban from play and chat. The ban should reflect current and past conduct. Double it each time until the review has been processed. Since it requires a unanimous vote, I really don't think this method would produce any instances of a rookie getting banned for poor performance by a whole team of ragers. It would allow some leniency for a player who had a minor spat which was resolved. And, it would encourage a ban vote for truly derogatory conduct.
Actually I'm pretty sure I can talk about violating someones expired love ones corpse in a live setting without any criminal charges being pressed against me.

That said, the summoners code is a pretty garbage idea. I could understand if you were playing a game like Viva Pinata or Animal Crossing (not sure why you would, but that's irrelevant), however making it so that people cannot talk trash in an online competitive game is one of the worst ideas ever. The fact that it's also a bannable offense is absolutely ridiculous. There are many other options available besides removing an account from a person that potentially spent real money on it.

• Add an ignore feature (there may be one, I'm not sure as I would never use something like this)
  • Add a user rating system, where it's possible to request to have a higher chance to play with people above a certain peer rating threshold.
  • Keep the profanity filter.
  • Fix matchmaking, so as to not match low levels with high levels. This happens very often and causes a lot of irritation.

People play games for fun. Being matched with new players or bad players and not being able to voice your irritation, but instead having to be patient and helpful... That isn't fun, that's a chore. That's work.

While I appreciate what Riot Games is trying to do, I feel very strongly about this and I'm sure many others do as well: Limiting freedom of speech is a bad idea.

crusader32

06-09-2010

Quote:
hey heres a tip guys if your team sucks dnt get pissed at them just use team work and you guys will get through trust you should try some time cause if you lose then the other team was using better team work always
so there guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
People sometimes ask us what regulations govern the League of Legends community. While we do have a discrete list of rules, there's a lot more to being a positive force in the community than adhering to the legal ease set down in our Terms of Service. We believe that there are things that separate a great player from one who is mostly concerned with not violating the TOS. And you may be surprised to find out that we believe what makes a player great doesn't have anything to do with your summoner level, win/loss ratio, or Elo rating. What makes a great player is the willingness to take responsibility for ensuring that he and his fellow players have a good time.

And so, in response to this request for leadership, we here at Riot Games have set down a few guidelines for becoming one of these great players. May I present, The Summoner's Code! Henceforth, these nine patterns of behavior shall be the creed that governs all League of Legends players as you continue to fight the good fight out there on the Field of Justice:

So, while you're out vying for supremacy with your fellow Runeterrans, remember to always keep to the Code!