One Rioter'z view on Dominion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jooballin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

08-09-2011
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Hello Summoners,

A little background about how I got to Riot: I was working in video games on the East coast when a co-worker introduced me to LoL. I had played DotA, but for some reason I just hadn't heard of LoL. Literally, after 3 games on Summoners Rift, I applied for the position that I have today. Since then I have tried one game on TT, and I really didn't like it. I really believed the bread and butter of the LoL experience was the 5v5 on Summoner's Rift and anything deviating from that would be more of a novelty or filling a small niche.

I started in January, and when I heard there was a team working on this new game mode and game map, it sounded cool, but I really wasn't all too excited. Again, I really love LoL for what I know: Summoner's Rift. A couple of months later I was transferred to the Dominion team to help with the release. I eventually got into the company playtests for Dominion and was absolutely blown away, and this was months ago when the map wasn't as pretty and the game wasn't as balanced as it was when the press got their hands on it to write the articles that you have all seen. Believe me, it's only gotten better.

We've all been working really hard to get this out to you guys. Even after some long days of work when most of the time we would just want to go home and relax, a bunch of us would stay around just to play a couple of games of Dominion for fun, myself included. Other times I would go home and get on LoL and be upset that I couldn't play Dominion! And to reiterate one more time, this is coming from a Summoner's Rift purist.

Now, I know for the majority of you, the concern isn't whether or not it's going to be fun, it's when will it be released. Unfortunately, like all my fellow Rioterz who aren't saying much about the date, I don't have much to offer you in this except for some reassurance. This is real. It's coming, and not Soon?, but soon. I know it's not possible for you all to be at PAX and/or Gamescom, but for those who can make it, please come by, see us and get your hands on Dominion. I promised you will not be disappointed. You will see the state of the game, and you will be able to help the rest of the world see that you won't have to wait long.

Happy summoning,
-Jooballin

P.S. For those who are going to PAX this year, I'll be there on Sunday. Come by, I'd love to meet you all.

Yaezakura

08-09-2011

Curse my being a poor girl living in Florida, because I do not have the means to visit either of these events. ;.; I would go to PAX in an instant if it wouldn't involve probably a thousand dollars in travel and hotel expenses...

Kabraxis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2011

I have a simple question for Riot....why does Dominion seem like a revamped version of WoW's Arathi Basin?

Yaezakura

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garviel Lokken View Post
I have a simple question for Riot....why does Dominion seem like a revamped version of WoW's Arathi Basin?
Because control-point based gameplay has been around for a long time, including long before WoW existed.

Kabraxis

08-09-2011

that was not my question. but thanks for replying in favor of the Riot poster!

SBGC Jammer

Recruiter

08-09-2011

Thanks for this post. Always interesting to hear a Rioter's perspective.

Zheta

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaezakura View Post
Because control-point based gameplay has been around for a long time, including long before WoW existed.
If you listen closely to the newest preview trailer, the music strongly mimics the Battlefield theme.

tibot

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooballin View Post
Hello Summoners,

A little background about how I got to Riot: I was working in video games on the East coast when a co-worker introduced me to LoL. I had played DotA, but for some reason I just hadn't heard of LoL. Literally, after 3 games on Summoners Rift, I applied for the position that I have today. Since then I have tried one game on TT, and I really didn't like it. I really believed the bread and butter of the LoL experience was the 5v5 on Summoner's Rift and anything deviating from that would be more of a novelty or filling a small niche.

I started in January, and when I heard there was a team working on this new game mode and game map, it sounded cool, but I really wasn't all too excited. Again, I really love LoL for what I know: Summoner's Rift. A couple of months later I was transferred to the Dominion team to help with the release. I eventually got into the company playtests for Dominion and was absolutely blown away, and this was months ago when the map wasn't as pretty and the game wasn't as balanced as it was when the press got their hands on it to write the articles that you have all seen. Believe me, it's only gotten better.

We've all been working really hard to get this out to you guys. Even after some long days of work when most of the time we would just want to go home and relax, a bunch of us would stay around just to play a couple of games of Dominion for fun, myself included. Other times I would go home and get on LoL and be upset that I couldn't play Dominion! And to reiterate one more time, this is coming from a Summoner's Rift purist.

Now, I know for the majority of you, the concern isn't whether or not it's going to be fun, it's when will it be released. Unfortunately, like all my fellow Rioterz who aren't saying much about the date, I don't have much to offer you in this except for some reassurance. This is real. It's coming, and not Soon?, but soon. I know it's not possible for you all to be at PAX and/or Gamescom, but for those who can make it, please come by, see us and get your hands on Dominion. I promised you will not be disappointed. You will see the state of the game, and you will be able to help the rest of the world see that you won't have to wait long.

Happy summoning,
-Jooballin

P.S. For those who are going to PAX this year, I'll be there on Sunday. Come by, I'd love to meet you all.
not impressed by your propaganda.

DKRises

08-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaezakura View Post
Curse my being a poor girl living in Florida, because I do not have the means to visit either of these events. ;.; I would go to PAX in an instant if it wouldn't involve probably a thousand dollars in travel and hotel expenses...
Me except I am a guy

Izeo

08-09-2011

Why are people so obsessed with saying Riot sucks? Is this the new extension of the whole "big bully on the internet" compensation? Talking **** to the people that work to make your day better?