Music and Sound Feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Friend

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

The Council

07-26-2009

Hi,

I take an interest in game music (and write some too, which is where part of the interest originates), and I think LoL's gameplay would be complemented really well by a vibrant soundtrack. So here are my suggestions for whoever is doing the music, plus a bit at the end about lobby sounds, and hopefully there's some useful content therein. =)

Music

Personally, I don't believe that an orchestral style really fits the game. We have very stylized art, both in concept and within the game itself, a colorful setting, and generally a pretty lush atmosphere. Wind Waker was a game in a similar position, and I think the soundtrack turned out very well with its creative arrangements, catchy melodies (both original and building off previous Zelda games), and underlying simplicity in its approach. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are also both games that had incredible soundtracks without a whole lot of ornament, to the point that I still listen to them fairly regularly in my playlist.

I itemized the more specific suggestions by subject.

• Melodies
    -I think LoL could work with a Middle Eastern type of sound, so the use of some exotic scales would not be amiss-- some of my favorites are hungarian minor, arabian, egyptian, byzantine, and the various spanish scales. Modal work is always a plus as well.

-There are two elements that I find are particularly important in a cohesive soundtrack. Featuring a main motif that's modulated, mixed up, and put through a number of variations for each song to tie the entire soundtrack together, and also making each song strikingly different; throw off the listener a little bit, and then return them to a comfort zone with the reiteration of familiar themes. Allowing the listener to anticipate the kind of melodies that are going to come up in the song (and make them feel a bit smarter when they're right, or surprised when they're not =P) is the kind of thing that can make a soundtrack really memorable.

• Rhythms
    -If exotic scales are there, exotic rhythms and meters would be fitting as well. This is one of my favorite reference sites. Balkan rhythms particularly have a really cool vibe to them.

• Instrumentation
    -For instrumentation, I can see sitars, ethic percussion (gongs especially could be really interesting), acoustic guitars, some ambient string ensembles, maybe light backing choirs, flutes of all sorts, and marimba-type bell instruments.

• Presence
    -At least a striking title screen piece, an ambient lobby background, and a pregame track designed to build excitement. An individual background song for each map would be really nice, such as a 5 minute or so track that had a few variations for that map, and an instrumentation to fit the setting (tribal rhythms for a jungle, colder and sharper instruments for winter, more strings and choir for a haunted castle, etc).

Sound

As has been mentioned in a few other places, I think the sound effects could use clearer indication about their purpose. Currently they don't seem to have an apparent direction, and it can be somewhat confusing to place which sound means what.

IM clients generally use the formula of ascending sounds = logging on/joining and descending = logging off/leaving; it's fairly generic, but it's easy to distinguish between the various sounds quickly, and the overall effect is also familiar. I threw together some sample sounds (attached) along those lines to demonstrate.

~

Although music in games tends to get a little underrated, I find a really good (or bad) soundtrack can noticeably affect the overall quality of a game; even one like LoL where the majority of players are probably going to be playing with vent on almost exclusively. Thanks for reading, that turned out longer than I expected.

Faro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2009

I really like your ideas for the game's sound track, it fits very nicely with the theme of the game. May I ask why you think Arabic music would be a good fit? I listen to a lot of it (parents were born&raised in Cairo) so my perspective could be a little skewed on what you're suggesting.

Azunyan

07-26-2009

I like most of your ideas though I do think let us expand to all types and kinds of music as well since it looks like this is going to be a huge world of sorts!

But alas, I'm not as much of a music expert as you are so I can't offer many suggestions or anything at the moment.

I do kinda like the music theme we use in-game at the moment. It reminds me of the earlier Worms games and generally seems to fit the style of the game so far! A cartoony-ish worms-style war of the sort. It might be good for one or two maps' themes.

We should definitely expand on the rest with different genres of music and sounds! Having the same style and theme on every map would be a bummer and get old quickly...

Friend

The Council

07-26-2009

I think some elements of Arabic music integrated into the whole would be a good fit-- the rhythms particularly, but the scales and instruments as well, all could add to a feeling of mystique and the exotic (coming from Western music, anyway). For the content we have so far, it might not necessarily fit; but I know some of the concept art floating around has to do with a desert map, in which case I think an Arabian-style piece would work swimmingly.

Mind you, my exposure to Arabian music is no more than moderate, so my apologies if I'm a bit off on the style's underlying principles.

RiotJay

Associate Sound Designer

07-26-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Thanks for the awesome suggestions and samples (an .mp3 is worth a thousand words). Keep the ideas coming and I'll be continually checking out what kind of stuff you guys think fits the LoL vibe.