Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Q&A - New Rune System

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vilantius

06-26-2011

is there a reason the blue runes (supposedly for casters) give less mana regen then yellow runes?

Konst UA

07-01-2011

=)

kwimbob

07-08-2011

"you can only use Tier 1 and Tier 12 rune"

>>12

Sorry if this is old spam, but found a typo.

Good post (especially for a sticky for those new to the summoner out-of-match leveling system in addition to the more accessible masteries and 2 spells which gradually are gifted to you, unlike rune sets and hero choices which take time and ip).

kwimbob

07-08-2011

Quote:
Vilantius:
is there a reason the blue runes (supposedly for casters) give less mana regen then yellow runes?

Picture runes to be like the English language. Spelling and grammar eventually becomes learned and seemingly logical. But until you become proficient, the 99% rule seems to be all that matters: you have to learn every word and sentence individually if you are ever to speak english.

Runes are, in the same sense, logical.

A caster wants red, yellow, and blue runes and then to make quints whatever color (or quint colored like exp per lvl or movement speed). You can't have all caster runes in the blue. That would upset the casters. They don't all want health like Vladimir or Swain or Gragas or Singed or other tanky guys (teemo?). So:

For casters: Red == Magic Pen, Yellow == Mana Regen, , Blue == AP or AP / level or CoolDownReduction

Generally caster stuff is blue. For ryze or singed, your blue would be mana / level for your passive and infinite mana -> tear set up.

For tanks: Red == Armor / Magic Pen or AD, Yellow == Health or Armor or Dodge, Blue == CoolDownReduction or Magic Resist

Depending on whether you're going a caster, you may again want blue to be mana / level for spells like maokai's infinite ult and q/w/e when built with cdr (and some health so that he can heal). Quints again can be exp/lvl, mana / 18, health, armor, MR, AD, Armor / Magic Pen, or whatever else makes your tanky guy regenerate or tank (maybe even AP in the blue if you're a tank like sion/janna with a shield or heal, like alistar or a support. Dodge is only if you want the 5% movement speed on a character that is good at dodging and going fast (singed, gragas, alistar, shen, amumu, rammus, a shielder, or anyone else that has damage reduction early game.

For Physical: Red == AttackDamage or AttackSpeed or Armor/Magic Pen, Yellow == Mana regen or Health or Armor, Blue == CoolDownRediction or AbilityPower (/ level) or Magic Resist

Depending on how much of a glass cannon you are, you can start with boots and regen or just go all out harassment with the intent of going home and coming back with teleport for more farming, harassing, and / or ganking.

Junglers are a mix between Tank and either Physical or AP.

If you follow guidelines similar to these, then you will often be effective with even the most basic recommended item builds. Do something along these lines with suitable masteries (Support/caster == Green with Red or Blue; Physical == Red with Green or Blue, Tank == Blue with Red/Green. Read your character's skills and take a practice or cautious game every time you first try a hero. In your first game, just be careful and farm, don't dive or get cocky if you manage a fun first blood.
The game is more fun when people somewhat understand each character and what they will do for (as teammates) or against (if enemies) you.

ONE UNRELATED NOTE: These are the 3 rules to not fail and have a less RageWorthy game. In all circumstances. This game is about teamwork and a 30 minute game. If you go 0 - 6 - 0 and pop open a soda and get some major creepage and participate in ganks, you CAN help your team. It is never impossible to play a game with 0 deaths. As any hero. Note that dying is the worst thing you can do: you feed the killer and the assisters. If you have many kills and are high level (now that the last update was in place), REALLY DON'T DIE. Don't overextend. Getting ganked without MIAs is in part your fault. Towers are towers, and the base will always be there to heal your health and mana. Never hesitate to reach for that b button.

TLDR (off-topic a bit, so stop reading if you only care about runes, other than this note: your first item should replace whatever runes you don't choose -- if you want to go boots first rather than dorans or blue masteries, then get health runes; if you want ap get ap runes; if you want cdr / as / mr boots, then make your runes complement your hero's other skills, etc.):
Play heroes with reasonable builds, Runes, and Masteries.
If you don't know any one of these aspects and intend to solo Q, do not try a new hero unless you feel it will fit a role in the team and you intend to play it safe until 6 and you get a feel for them.
You can always rage quit a character select and avoid yourself a 30 minute annoying time. If someone picks the ONE hero that you have confidence and runes with, click the x button. Stand up. Breathe in. Breathe out. Consider making a second rune page or just get into the next hero select quickly, with 30s to spare, and get your character.
Chatting in the hero select screen and being flexible with hero swaps and / or summoner spell diversity changes is always good. Before you pick a skin or start chatting it up, always remember to make your Mastery page fit your specific hero most optimally if you are changing your character or strategy to something new. 10 Mastery pages are free now for everyone. Now if there are both Singed and Ryze for free one week, and someone takes your Ryze, then you should be able to have both a singed and ryze mastery page (singed more blue and ryze more green, or something like that). Like with driving: Always have an out.
Once in game, always be open about laning choices. IF you feel you are being denied gold by a harassing ranged lane as a late game hero or melee hero, then ask for a lane swap or gank, level, (jungle? get buffs with/without team? get dragon or baron or buy wards and ward?), and offer help if people are building a weird build. That isn't to say you should micromanage 9 people in /all chat. Don't be rude. Simply tell noobs: 'Hey, please swap me and come top or allow me to gank.", and then (in case there's an issue of tunnel vision or a language gap where people don't read) make sure to ping your intentions PRECISELY AND KINDLY. Nobody likes a pinger that requires them to alt tab and turn off the volume. Not cool.

Last note: It's a game. Have fun. Earn IP. Buy runes. Try new builds. Practice old builds. Play alone. Play with friends. Play ranked. Spend money (buy skins?) if you truly enjoy the game and find the time/money to be worth it. Buying heros with IP is challenging if you want runes, and RP definitely helps, but it is never required.

Never be discouraged by people calling you, your team, or the enemy's members bad at the game. Play, stay calm, farm if you are getting killed, and always remember: a death is barely worth a kill. A death in a team fight is okay if you net positive kills for the team. But that should be the annoying tank's roll. Casters and Physical squishies need not die (nor Kill Steal other people that went all out to make someone die for only an assist gold).
Map awareness is key. Have fun. Remember farming and comebacks are common and possible. As are interesting builds. It's a complex game and a discouraging learning curve. People will say or believe summoner spells or runes or certain heroes are OP.

But it's a free game. With good intentions. Have fun with it.

kwimbob

07-08-2011

Quote:
alex2005lol:
Where can I get me a Level 12 rune :?

BEFORE LEVEL 10: Tier 1 runes.
BEFORE LEVEL 20: Tier 2 / 1 runes.
BEFORE [AND AFTER] LEVEL 30 (Max Level, you continue to receive IP for more runes): Tier 3 / 2 / 1 runes.

What I did was until level 30 I only bought heroes and did masteries / spells until level 30 summoner. This meant 100s of games without tier 1 or 2 runes. My friends on the other hand got RP heroes and boosts and actually got tier 1, 2, and then 3 runes, so that if nothing else, THEY could give themselves some basic tier 1 runes rather than going blank. I did get SOME runes before 30, but melted them down for tier 3 once I hit 30, over time.

Note on Primary / Secondary / Tertiary runes

Check a guide (google, use the internets) and learn the weird ones. Don't accidentally buy non-primaries (magic pen i ACTUALLY red, magic resist is actually blue, mana regen is actually yellow. But secondary/tertiary runes aren't always bad.

If you're going for a build, you don't have to use only primary runes. My above post assumes you wanted only primary runes. But imagine you want only one stat on a character that only needs one stat (and your masteries and item plans are also hopefully suited to that one stat): in such a case you can get ALL 30 runes to be that one stat. Ability Power or Health or CDR or Attack Damage or Crit are examples.
Silly as this is: you COULD get AP (or AP / level) for blue as primary, and then also get it in the secondary color, and then also in the third color. The yield and worth of the nonblue runes would not be very high. Some characters can benefit from this.
Note that Quints can be any of 4 colors and will always be primary. In this light, you can have 12 of any primary rune stat, with the Quints giving bigger primary bonuses as well. At that point, you either put different primary of the other 2 colors, or go with some secondary/tertiary; it's all up to you.
The game is full of infinite impossibility. Quints make this especially true. PURE AP Morgana/Lux or HealthPoint Shen/Gragas or CDR tank/support like Soraka/Janna or anything else.

Remember there are a few stats exclusive to quints: Movement Speed and Experience Gained are such runes.

TLDR:

The first runes you buy should be generally applicable. Magic/Armor pen reds, Health/regen/armor yellows, and MagicResist/CDR/AbilityPower blues go far for any hero. Health / AP / AD / AS / CDR / MS / EXP / MANA / REGEN quints are quite gamebreaking as well, especially when considered as a Per Level rune for late game (especially for hybriding: if your first item is AP but you also want CDR, HEALTH, an ATTACKDAMAGE or one of the PENETRATION in either pure or per level form).
Pure runes are for early game. Per level are for challenging or orchestrated team games, or for heroes you have mastered and bought the more specific and beneficial runes for.

Once again, hf, gg, learn more every game.
There are 10 heroes in every game. Once you start getting IP and runes, feel free to play the more complex heroes. Improvise builds. Read guides. Try and fail. Try and succeed. Just keep playing if it's a game you enjoy. There are always 9 other takes on 5~9 heroes, every game. Learn from them. If their teammates (or even enemies, you can /all) and you see the infamous problems like Nunu/Janna ults being canceled, or teammates dying to towers, or teammates worndering what item is next or what runes / masteries to try next game. As a team, jungling, pushing, farming, and ganking are always possible. Take advantage of these things and try to thwart the enemy.

MAKE every game fun. Farming is always an option. Mastery / spell / hero combos are infinite: always strive for more effective or fun builds, play to your strengths as a gamer, and be as cautious or aggressive as your character, enemy matchup, and team progress are going. Pinging and MIAs are priceless, but not necessary. YOU have the power to carry or fail. It's not the AFK'ers that made you unable to farm or gank or push as a team. Even a 3v5 can win. (Side note: as caster / tank / hybrid / stealther heavy teams you want to push and win early; as physical / late game tank/caster/utility/niche heroes you can allow it to go late and just farm more jungle / lane / towers over time and win after an ACE / PUSH). If it's a farm game, farm. If it's a push game, push. If it's a gank game, gank. IF it's an unfair game, be kind and don't call average/nice/unfortunate heroes discouraging names or harass them in chat. Surrendering is an option, but no game can be bad for ever. There's always the next game: today or tomorrow.

GLHFGGs

shikasshadow

07-19-2011

this question may not belong here but can someone tell me if, mechanically in the game, magic penetration stacks DIMINSHINGLY? as in, if i have 2 items that both give +20 pen, does it add up to 40 or is it something like 35?

raiderfbp

07-19-2011

I have a question on the crit runes...if you have 13%crit chance in runes, shouldnt the rune bonus appear in the in game "C" stat page? with tryn, the stat amount doesnt change, nor does it for any champ.

Killerfang

07-19-2011

I know i haven't read all 21 pages of posts on this forum but i would like to suggest a major change in the rune system. I know that the system is meant to allow for more customization within the game along with masteries. However, I believe that although it allows for a lot of customization most people dont take full advantage of it and mostly choose the same runes as most other poeple i.e. magic pen, armor pen, etc. I think that all runes should be free of cost. I know this is significantly different than the current rune system but I think it has many advantages. The first is that it will allow many people to try a lot more interesting setups for runes, without having to first buy them, test them out, and then might not even like them. I know it is possible to look up online for the better setups and whatnot, but that is just taking someone else's ideas and does not give the player much creative freedom. If other players who have worked hard on IP to earn runes think this makes their work useless, I think a refund on IP would make them more than happy to accept this change. Anyway, hope somebody else thinks this is at least a decent idea.

Xerra Sinibi

07-26-2011

Why can you have multiple mastery pages like 1 2 3 and only 2 rune pages? should at least be a third rune page so u can make a generic dps tank or caster type page for each set. Even better would be as many as u cwant so u can have set ups for any champ you want. seems a pain to go modify my 2-3 pages to play dif champions. any thoughts?

RuthLeSs Kit

07-29-2011

going up soon!